You are the Champions

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
Jake

Re: You are the Champions

Post by Jake »

I bet Freddie would be writing hit songs if he was still alive. Gardening, writing hit songs, production, and he’d have a million cats by now. Champagne and beer throughout the day. Barbecues. Maybe he would have thrown the barbecue grilled through his sliding glass doors a few more times by now. Look at Freddie’s private life... it was envious. Anything he wanted he could get. He had a conservative private life at home. He didn’t buy a typical boring concrete mansion, but a beautiful, big house. A chef for all meals, personal assistants. I need all that.

Jake

Post by Jake »

montavilla wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:00 pm
Jake wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:36 pm
I had tacos for dinner... still see the ads and haters 🍻
In your... tacos?
😂

Jake

Post by Jake »

carolb57 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 am
Jake wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:59 pm
carolb57 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:10 pm
Nobody hates Freddie. We have great admiration for him and his amazing talent and legacy. But there are many in this forum who hate and/or resent Adam!
I’m sure he’s on your playlist 😆
Yes, he is! My favorite is I Was Born To Love You! Don’t you wonder if Freddie was still here what would be happening and if the original 4 guys would still be together like the Stones?

IWBTLY, 2004 video:
Back in the 90’s when I was a kid, I had no idea how to get the Mr. Bad Guy album. I found Freddie’s demo of I Was Born To Love You on some website. Then I found his video of it. The websites were strange back then. But, Freddie’s original version of the song is much more superior than Queen’s re-worked version. I’d have liked it best without the vocal samples from other tracks... takes the sincerity out of it.

I think Brian in particular had some anger over I Was Born To Love You and Made In Heaven not being released as Queen tracks. The way Brian talks about Freddie’s songs sometimes, it’s almost as if he’s talking about a song done by one of his idols, instead of by a band mate. For that, I’m grateful. But I like the original best.
Last edited by Jake on Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Jake wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 am
I bet Freddie would be writing hit songs if he was still alive. Gardening, writing hit songs, production, and he’d have a million cats by now. Champagne and beer throughout the day. Barbecues. Maybe he would have thrown the barbecue grilled through his sliding glass doors a few more times by now. Look at Freddie’s private life... it was envious. Anything he wanted he could get. He had a conservative private life at home. He didn’t buy a typical boring concrete mansion, but a beautiful, big house. A chef for all meals, personal assistants. I need all that.
And a separate bedroom for every cat! He was a very special man with a great sense of humor!

Jake

Post by Jake »

carolb57 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:46 am
Jake wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 am
And a separate bedroom for every cat! He was a very special man with a great sense of humor!
Maybe a neighboring house for them by now.

In any case, Freddie had a great personal life at home.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

I much prefer Freddie's version of Born To Love You, it's fun, sassy and energetic. The Queen version lacks it, almost as it's too perfect.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but on the 'You are the champions' track, someone is also playing bass, and I think Brian added some guitar as well.
So, is it Brian who played the bass? Or Neil Fairclough?
I enjoyed it, to be honest. Listened to it 10 times or more.
Didn't sound like a blasphemy to me.
When I listen to it, I just don't think about Freddie.
I think that's a quality of Adam. Some other singers (I won't name them) are too similar, not free enough in their interpretations, so we can't stop thinking , 'meh, that's not Freddie'. Here we can like it for what it is, a cover song by Queen+Adam Lambert, the band with the drummer and the guitarist of Queen.
As to changing the lyrics, it's the same as saying 'Another one drives a Duster', isn't it?
Last edited by Mona Lisa on Mon May 25, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitequeen20

Post by whitequeen20 »

Mona Lisa wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:06 pm
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but on the 'You are the champions' track, someone is also playing bass, and I think Brian added some guitar as well.
So, is it Brian who played the bass? Or Neil Fairclough?
I enjoyed it, to be honest. Listened to it 10 times or more.
Didn't sound like a blasphemy to me.
When I listen to it, I just don't think about Freddie.
I think that's a quality of Adam. Some other singers (I won't name them) are too similar, not free enough in their interpretations, so we can't stop thinking , 'meh, that's not Freddie'. Here we can like it for what it is, a cover song by Queen+Adam Lambert, the band with the drummer and the guitarist of Queen.
As to changing the lyrics, it's the same as saying 'Another one drives a Duster', isn't it?
It's Neil on Bass he posted about it on his instagram when they released it and yeah I agree, when I see QAL I don't compare at all, Adam is nothing like Freddie so for me I just see it as a different version and take it for what it is.
Last edited by whitequeen20 on Mon May 25, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Thanks !! I'm happy about it because I thought it was a pity that they didn't have him on 'The cosmos Rocks' album.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Neil is not on the video for YATC, but Brian is!