A Live Album is coming!?

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
Black Wings

Re: A Live Album is coming!?

Post by Black Wings »

Kes wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:35 pm
Being fair, it's only 34 years since they played Knebworth. 43 if they put out Houston. They'd be better putting one of those out.

You Lambert fans might still be alive in 30 years. Most of the people who went to the original Queen tours, won't be.

Not begrudging you people what you're after, but you can't really deny that anything QAL that comes out, is going to fill a window that could have been a "Queen" release.

Thought about it further. If it's a bookend product, and that's it, it might actually prompt the stuff that "the other lot" have REALLY been after for 25 years, the Anthologies.
I've been a fan since 1992, but I empathize with you. Except for the length of time we have been fans, I absolutely feel the same way as you do.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Can't disagree with the still missing Queen concerts that should have been released also already. I'm really disappointed we still don't have something from the 77 and Live Killers tours. That's Queen in their prime imo and I don't get why those aren't out yet. It started good with Rainbow and Odeon few years ago, but then it stopped.

I've been a fan only since 2006, but since my first Queen album was "Live Killers" I have been waiting for such a DVD already some time, too. I can only imagine the frustration from fans from back then...

But we all know, that Queen doesn't always release what they should...I'm still confused they didn't release way more after the huge success of the movie. What more perfect opportunity could there have been?? So many new fans since the movie, they could have sold anything way better than in the years before. But no.

So I'm happy with getting anything at all, even if it's maybe just a compilation of QAL concerts. Why film all those shows back then as now, if you don't do anything with them?

I don't care if a 77/79 DVD wouldn't be in super high quality, but they could still let them look and sound much better than the bootlegs we have. And with QAL this isn't a problem at all. They really should release that O2 concert in full! Didn't they film two nights there? Should be enough to edit one good concert. Just do it.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Kes wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:35 pm
Being fair, it's only 34 years since they played Knebworth. 43 if they put out Houston. They'd be better putting one of those out.

You Lambert fans might still be alive in 30 years. Most of the people who went to the original Queen tours, won't be.

Not begrudging you people what you're after, but you can't really deny that anything QAL that comes out, is going to fill a window that could have been a "Queen" release.

Thought about it further. If it's a bookend product, and that's it, it might actually prompt the stuff that "the other lot" have REALLY been after for 25 years, the Anthologies.
Is there no video footage of that last show with Freddie at Knebworth?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Hannes Rossacher and Rudi Dolezal were there filming, but for a documentary, so they didn't have a fantastic amount of footage, it totals about 10 minutes, I think. Two gigs (and a filming rehearsal one) that tour had already been filmed, so they didn't see the point of pro-filming a third.

You can find home movie footage of the gig on youtube, but that's as good as it gets.

Because they did have the idea of a proper live album, they recorded it on a proper mobile studio, so they could sort through the tracks from that, and the other three gigs that they HAD videod. Budapest and both nights at Wembley. This album was then released titled Live Magic, with all the tracks except 4, A Kind Of Magic, Under Pressure, Is This The World We Created, and Hammer To Fall, were all taken from the Knebworth gig.

Ray

Post by Ray »

That Knebworth bootleg is really unique...not so good quality of course since someone filmed the monitor, but it's still a pro-shot that way lol. For this being such a historic concert I'm glad we at least have this. Aside from that though, I'm fine with the two Wembley shows and the Bucharest one. A complete audio release should still happen though if they recorded all. But the late 70s are what's missing the most imo.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It was Budapest, Hungary, not Bucharest, Romania.

Easy to get confused, I suppose.

I fully agree, that there should be a boxset. Hyde Park 76, Houston and Earl's Court 77, and footage from the Live Killers/Crazy Tour 79.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

I have the Budapest DVD — Hungarian Rhapsody. Is there another one besides that one?

Kes

Post by Kes »

carolb57 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:35 pm
I have the Budapest DVD — Hungarian Rhapsody. Is there another one besides that one?
Nope. Just the one gig. EVER, in Hungary, though some bored people might have you believe there was another in someone's back garden. F*ck me, you'd have to be pretty special to get one of them. The gate turnover for Knebworth, was something like £3.5m, before drink, food, and merchandise, probably the same sort of figure over again.

They needed that sort of turnover just to pay for Freddie's coke habit, and Japanese fine art collecting 🤣

Ray

Post by Ray »

Kes wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:19 pm
It was Budapest, Hungary, not Bucharest, Romania.

Easy to get confused, I suppose.

I fully agree, that there should be a boxset. Hyde Park 76, Houston and Earl's Court 77, and footage from the Live Killers/Crazy Tour 79.
Lol, no idea why I mixed it up, of course it's Budapest. Good thing we got a Blu-ray from it. I really like the non-concert footage, too.

I'd love a boxset like the one you suggested! I also don't get why the 77 tour documentary was kinda short and only included in the NOTW Boxset. They said they had filmed hours of material...this was so interesting, I would have wanted to see way more. And a proper release.

Kes

Post by Kes »

There's a curious story about THAT footage, that involves people in suits turning up in Bob Harris's office, at the BBCs television centre in White City/Shepherd's Bush, West London, (or was it Maida Vale?), carrying court documents.

Apparently they left with a trolley load of film cans and videotapes. Not very much of that stuff has surfaced until the NOTW DVD was being made. You don't really have to try and guess too much what went on there.

Fair to bet that there are complete songs from that lot sat in the archive, waiting to be part of something bigger.