Album

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
Kes

Re: Album

Post by Kes »

What's an "official" follower? Are you suggesting I stalk officials?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Nicki wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:49 pm
Kes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:42 pm
I think it might have been fd who once said, if they'd buried Freddie, he'd be turning in his grave like a fucking dynamo.
That’s not what I got from interviews with Freddie.
Have you ever talked at length to anyone who actually knew him?

I've quite possibly seen, heard or read nearly every interview Freddie ever gave, and spent longer than the time it takes to listen or read all those, talking directly to people who knew Freddie well. Some of them for hours, others minutes, and that ranges from Brian and Roger, Freddie's sister and Mum, David Mallet who directed a lot of Queen's videos, David Minns who interviewed Freddie, regularly, Dave Clark, Peter Freestone who was Freddie's PA, Jacky from Queen fan club, Peter Jones who was Freddie's driver and lived in the same house with him for about six years, Mary Austin (you might remember her character from the movie). And dozens of others, and I'm not taking the piss.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Kes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 pm
Nicki wrote:
Kes wrote:
I think it might have been fd who once said, if they'd buried Freddie, he'd be turning in his grave like a fucking dynamo.
No. As I said, I go by the bits that Freddie himself said.
I know there are all kinds of friends and family and there are as many opinions.

Since Freddie is dead, we will never know, what he would think. But I cannot see, how a real artist could have anything against his friends/ band colleagues creating new music with another singer. That’s now how artists think, from my experience.
(And they won‘t call it just „Queen“ anyway.)

Kes

Post by Kes »

They can't call it what it isn't, can they?

Freddie once said "I'm a musical prostitute, dear". You can't always take Freddie's quotes literally.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Kes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:51 pm
What's an "official" follower? Are you suggesting I stalk officials?
I was very much aware and appreciative of their music in those early days but did not attend concerts and buy the albums. So maybe I am not an official follower? Maybe more of a casual one?

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Kes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:08 pm
They can't call it what it isn't, can they?

Freddie once said "I'm a musical prostitute, dear". You can't always take Freddie's quotes literally.
I know. And I‘m not doing that. But I found the things he said about arts, artistry and theater very interesting in that regard.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Still don't know what an official follower is?

We had this discussion on the old board... What makes you a "fan"?

Is it the motor or the big blades that move the air?

In all seriousness, just liking the artist, and buying the product, going to the gigs, are enough to qualify you. Nobody's disputing your fandom.

You can follow someone for 40 years, have thousands of their records and CDs, and there'll still be someone out there who's got more than you, and probably knows more than you, to boot.

whitequeen20

Post by whitequeen20 »

Kes wrote:
Nicki wrote:
Kes wrote:

I've quite possibly seen, heard or read nearly every interview Freddie ever gave, and spent longer than the time it takes to listen or read all those, talking directly to people who knew Freddie well. Some of them for hours, others minutes, and that ranges from Brian and Roger, Freddie's sister and Mum, David Mallet who directed a lot of Queen's videos, David Minns who interviewed Freddie, regularly, Dave Clark, Peter Freestone who was Freddie's PA, Jacky from Queen fan club, Peter Jones who was Freddie's driver and lived in the same house with him for about six years, Mary Austin (you might remember her character from the movie). And dozens of others, and I'm not taking the piss.
Would be interesting to get Phoebe's take on it if they do put something out, he had some interesting comments about them carrying on playing but he may feel differently about recording together.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I'm sure he'd be OK with it.

I sat chatting to him for about half an hour at Knebworth Park, on a fan club afternoon out on the anniversary of Queen playing there. He told me a hell of a lot about Freddie's last couple of weeks before he died (and the couple of weeks after too). Very, very sad and sombre conversation.

Met him a few times since, and has never been anything less than jolly on those occasions.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Kes wrote:
Nicki wrote:
Kes wrote:

Oh, I‘ve had a chat with Jacky from the Queen Fanclub once on FB, if that counts.
And I‘m sure from that, that she doesn’t think, Freddie would be turning in his grave.
I‘ve watched many hours of interviews with Freddie and many of his friends as well ( for sure not as many as you) . And as I said, the opinions vary a lot.

Oh, and I don’t need the movie to know, who Mary Austin is. I think your judgement of me as a Queen fan is a bit off. ;)