Live Around The World

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
Nicki

Re: Live Around The World

Post by Nicki »

the milkman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:05 pm
It sold 8.5k. I really don’t know what kind of promo they expected or wanted. It’s a live album released during a pandemic. It wasn’t going to get played on the radio.

The CD/Blu Ray was at my local Target for $13.99. Looks like it’s the same price on Amazon. My local record store had it on vinyl but I didn’t look for the CD. Don’t really see how it was hard to buy it. It just looks like the Cd only version wasn’t released here.

Streaming is free and it was streamed less than Dolly Parton’s Christmas album.
Well, that’s really not much. And thinking about it, there has been no promo here in Germany either, but the album still made it to #5 (or #3, if you take the chart that works similar to the charts in other countries).

I don’t think, streaming works, when you don’t know about a release. I only found the new album on Spotify by looking for it. It hadn’t been on any playlist or ad there. On ITunes it was up front among the releases though, so easy to find.
All things considered, it appears that the US audience isn’t much interested. Or they’re just too busy with the pandemic and politics to enjoy music. :lol:

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Young Music Fan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:38 pm Units sold for Top 3 in the UK album charts below. It doesn't seem as close as it was predicted!

1. Queen & Adam Lambert - Live Around The World (25,275)
2. Blackpink - The Album (19,310)
3. Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory (14,527)
Wow, that’s a pretty big lead. Looks great!

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

I don’t understand the Glamberts’ obsession with promotion. It’s a live album, what did they expect?

I only use Apple Music and like you said it was easy to find on it.
Last edited by the milkman on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

the milkman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:39 pm Lambert fan or an idiot! Thom Yorke has never had a number one U.K. album but Radiohead have.

It’s not an Adam Lambert release so Adam doesn’t have a U.K. number one album. He’s not even singing his own songs. He’s singing old Queen songs. Now if he released a bunch of Queen songs on his own and it went to #1 he would have a number one album.

I would even go as far as to say it’s not a Queen #1 album. It’s a Q+AL #1 album.
I feel the same way.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

the milkman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:52 pm I don’t understand the Glamberts’ obsession with promotion. It’s a live album, what did they expect?
Well, I cannot speak for „the glamberts“. What I meant, when I said there was almost no promo here, is that there hadn’t been any ads or mentions of that album. Or at least, I haven’t seen it. So, if you’re not living in the Queen or Lambert bubble or a music enthusiast, who reads music magazines, you wouldn’t know about it.

It appears to me, that a huge number of the QAL audiences in the US might be more casual, while fans in Europe, Japan or Australia follow the band more closely? Albeit, there has been big promo in Australia with these interviews on morning TV shows and news.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

It was in all of the major magazines so it was talked about. I heard it advertised on XM radio quite a bit as well.

And yes, they are way more casual here. Most big concerts here are full of people who got free comp tickets. I hate it! That’s why I like smaller shows more than the big events.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

midnight sky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:54 pm
the milkman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:39 pm Lambert fan or an idiot! Thom Yorke has never had a number one U.K. album but Radiohead have.

It’s not an Adam Lambert release so Adam doesn’t have a U.K. number one album. He’s not even singing his own songs. He’s singing old Queen songs. Now if he released a bunch of Queen songs on his own and it went to #1 he would have a number one album.

I would even go as far as to say it’s not a Queen #1 album. It’s a Q+AL #1 album.
I feel the same way.
But then calling it strictly QAL instead of Queen and Adam Lambert to me feels more like Adam has replaced Freddie.

Do you both feel the same way about Queen + Paul Rodgers?

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Young Music Fan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:14 pm
midnight sky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:54 pm

I feel the same way.
But then calling it strictly QAL instead of Queen and Adam Lambert to me feels more like Adam has replaced Freddie.

Do you both feel the same way about Queen + Paul Rodgers?
I remember debating with myself if I should buy TCR and ROTC. I ended up buying it, because I liked the music pretty much. But I still like ROTC more than the studio album, oddly enough.
Except for LOML and Freddie's day o's, to be blunt there is not much I like about LATW. If I was offered this for free, even then I wouldn't want this in my collection.
This isn't a Queen number one in my opinion. It's Q+AL.

AngelR

Post by AngelR »

the milkman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:00 pm
Nicki wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:56 pm

Of course, it’s true. He even got a little trophy with that #1. :D
You can say whatever you want, you cannot take that #1 away from Adam, Brian or Roger. Queen made their 10th #1 album.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Congratulations to them! Think it will be in the top 20 next week?
Well, the album is back to #1 on UK iTunes today and still #1 bestsellers on UK Amazon, so it's got a very good chance to do well again next week.
Not sure how well it sells in high Street shops, as there are not many of those left open after the epidemic.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

There are some interesting revelations from Brian in this interview:

Express.co.uk caught up with Brian May this afternoon and asked how it would feel for Queen and Adam Lambert to get a UK No 1 album.

The 73-year-old said: “I hardly dare to think really! It would feel very good. It would make me laugh and smile. Something nobody could have predicted, certainly not us. So yes, I’m very thrilled it’s been received so well out there.”
But despite the likelihood, May admitted he can’t quite believe it’s happened 25 years after Made In Heaven. He said: “I love it myself and I’m surprised, I think we’re all surprised how well it came out; how powerful it is.”

The idea for a live album came about after the success of an hour-long Queen and Adam Lambert tour Watch Party on YouTube, which saw some of their best live highlights streaming for fans. May said: “It was actually Roger’s idea to make it into a live album. So we dropped everything else. There were a number of other projects going on at the time.
“We drove our team nuts because they’re very overloaded most of the time anyway. They suddenly plunged into this thing.”

Putting Live Around The World together was a big job with all the visuals and sound mixing, but the rock legend says the band’s impressive team managed to get it done in just two weeks.
May added: “The whole team really got behind it and delivered something so spectacular; I can’t believe how entertaining it is! It’s unique because of the audiences, of course. I’m surprised how well we play, to be honest.”
He also admitted that you can really see the chemistry between him, Taylor and Lambert in the Blu-ray and DVD version.
The 73-year-old said: “It’s very glued together. But it’s also very loose. Everything is very spontaneous. It’s rehearsed but it’s real and “This set is amazing. I personally love the DVD more than just sound, but you really get the feeling of being there.”

After we pointed out how a Queen and Adam Lambert live album is just right for these times, May replied enthusiastically: “It is! It’s what everybody needs.
It was so obvious once we had the idea. That’s the one thing we can’t do at the moment. We can’t make that wonderful magic happen in an arena of 15,000 people going nuts. So this is the next best thing, just to see how it’s been the last few years.”

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment ... -interview