Live Around The World

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
midnight sky

Re: Live Around The World

Post by midnight sky »

Ray wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:05 am
midnight sky wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:10 am
Two weeks to put this together? Too bad more thought wasn't put into it.
I agree. Not surprised at all it only took them 2 weeks, the result shows it's nothing ambitious. I don't see the reason to rush such a release when there is so much time right now anyway. And it's not sure at all they can do the concerts next year.

Getting to no.1 with that little effort in the product and promotion just shows how popular Queen music is right now. The movie did a lot for them.
It seems like not much thought went into this. It's a strange release with little thought , personally speaking.
Two weeks to pick the songs, and it's not even some of the better versions of some of the songs. I truly wish they had more time to do it better. It's not an impressive release at all in my books.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

So it took a whole of two weeks to put this together?
Explains why 90% was already available

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

Having read some of the comments on here about saying it feels like it was a rush release, here is what I think.

The whole point of the release according to the band was to give something to the fans who missed out this year. When you go to concerts you're not expecting perfect performances with every song so doing a release like this which is very raw with few tweaks feels like a proper concert atmosphere. It feels very live.

Stonecoldcrazy71

Post by Stonecoldcrazy71 »

I agree. Not surprised at all it only took them 2 weeks, the result shows it's nothing ambitious. I don't see the reason to rush such a release when there is so much time right now anyway. And it's not sure at all they can do the concerts next year.

Getting to no.1 with that little effort in the product and promotion just shows how popular Queen music is right now. The movie did a lot for them.
The movie Is the main reason for the popularity, then also hiring a good looking American/Teenage Idol singer helps as well. I have nothing against Lambert, but his die hard fans believe Queen are popular right now solely because of him and Queen are nothing without him. Some of his fans not all of course.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:18 pm
The movie Is the main reason for the popularity, then also hiring a good looking American/Teenage Idol singer helps as well. I have nothing against Lambert, but his die hard fans believe Queen are popular right now solely because of him and Queen are nothing without him. Some of his fans not all of course.
rather: A couple of his fans believe that. ;)

A 38 year old is an Teenage Idol? Well no, he isn’t. Not much more than Brian and Roger. At my last QAL concert 2018 in Berlin the loudest screaming young woman was a Brian fan. A loud one. Who wanted to lick the strings of the Red Special. :lol:

As for the movie:
Exactly 1 week ago (Sunday after the release of LATW) has been „Queen
Night“ on German TV. The BoRhap movie was on for the first time on free TV, after it the documentary „Days of our Lives“ and the concert „Live at Wembley“. As a result, 3 Queen albums (Platinum Collection, Greatest Hits and the BoRhap Soundtrack) entered the Top 10 on ITunes. „Live Around the World“ had already been there. From what I could see, the showing of the movie had no effect on the new QAL album, it didn’t move up or down. But ALL Queen albums had entered the TOP 100 rock album charts that night.

Of course the movie had an impact on QAL audiences on the whole, but it’s Queen that got most of the fans, not QAL. As it should be. People can well differentiate between the 2. This new album is successful, because QAL is successful and the shows are as brilliant as they are.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

After 8 years and over 200 shows, they were overdue for putting out a live album. The only other one was sold only in Japan—the complete 2014 Super Sonic Festival Show in Tokyo, Japan.

I’m happy that they included the amazing robot opening as well as their earlier opening with the Queen curtain. I think they did take the best of the best with the biggest audiences and excellent professional filming.

What is missing is their latest fabulous Innuendo opening from 2019 and 2020 but that is no doubt because the fans in the U.K. and Europe haven’t seen it yet. I imagine the next live album would be one with what I call the Innuendo set and/or whatever they are able to do for their 50th anniversary. Hope they are all well enough to finish their awesome journey together!

Jake

Post by Jake »

Nicki wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:45 pm
the milkman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:04 pm Were you surprised by how little it sold in the US? I was thinking it would sell over 20,000 so I was. I figured a few Adam fans would buy two copies and a few of the Queen fans would buy it.
I didn’t really think about the US charts. How man did they sell?

From what I‘ve read on Adamtopia (most fans there are from the US), there has been zero US promo for the album. Also, buying it wasn’t that easy, because shops didn’t sell all versions (usually only the CD/BluRay bundle) and what had been available, wasn’t for long. I don’t know, if that’s true for all of the US, of course, these are just stories told by some of Adam’s US fans. How I understand it, US fans had to look for the album. If you knew about it, you could buy it. Casual fans have probably missed it. But you should know better about that, right? ;)

In short, either the US wasn’t interested or QAL decided to concentrate on the other markets.

I don’t know, what the problem was, since shops in the UK ran out of copies of the album. It really sounds, as if QAL was overrun by the huge demand. They probably have noticed it after the announcement, when the Official Shop started the sale. One of the big shops in the US had stopped taking preorders early. Sold out. It had been available again later, but it all sounds, as if physical copies had been rare...
Freddie is very popular in the USA. Adam, not so much. Freddie is Queen to the general population here. The only time I hear Adam mentioned is if QAL is touring nearby. They do place advertisements.

I have a lot of hardcore Queen fan friends here, and Adam is seldom mentioned. Most people who go to QAL concerts seem to be the general population type who are looking for something to do... CD/DVD wouldn’t interest them. Hardcore Queen fans tend to go to see Brian and Roger. Freddie is the image of Queen to most. I don’t think QAL’s Live Around The World will be in the same league sales wise as Live At Wembley’s 5X platinum sales here in the USA.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:18 pm

I just read one comment from one Adam Worshipper that said, “if you Queen fans want to hear Freddy, go get out one of your old cassettes” :lol:

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Young Music Fan wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:06 pm Having read some of the comments on here about saying it feels like it was a rush release, here is what I think.

The whole point of the release according to the band was to give something to the fans who missed out this year. When you go to concerts you're not expecting perfect performances with every song so doing a release like this which is very raw with few tweaks feels like a proper concert atmosphere. It feels very live.
More thought and care should have put into it. It seems like they wanted to do it as fast as possible. If Brian wasn't up to doing it, I'd understand, I don't know if that was the reason it sounds so off to my ears. I think it's been said many times Brian is a perfectionist, I never would have guessed it going by LATW.
I took time before logging in to listen to it., that's twice now, I can't say I will listen to again. It doesn't flow well to my ears, a but all over the place, no pun intended. I would have perferred one full show than this.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

I don’t understand some of the complaints. The sound and video quality of the CD and BluRay are excellent! They are MUCH better than what has been on YT.

I was especially surprised, when I listened to Under Pressure, because that footage from that Global Citizen Festival had had pretty average or even bad sound. Apparently they took a different recording from that night (I remember someone had said back then that the sound on the radio had been fantastic). The voices are crystal clear, it’s a joy to listen to it!

I can only imagine that you must be streaming it in poor quality. :?