Live Around The World

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
midnight sky

Re: Live Around The World

Post by midnight sky »

carolb57 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:58 pm As I said before, I think there will be another QAL album with the Innuendo opening and opera box stage setup from 2019/2020 and/or an album celebrating their 50th anniversary in 2021.
Can't see that happening. Hopefully next year will be effort and time by Brian and Roger for Queen related things. Especially if thenQ+AL shows don't go ahead.

Peace Loving Guy

Post by Peace Loving Guy »

I feel that the album is (partly) designed to promote the mega crowd/festival credentials of the band. The mainly very large crowds are highly featured.

I think the release achieved its goals, even if a full show is ultimately more desirable. The best quality recording is more likely to come from an indoor 02 type shows obviously.

One thing that did cross my mind...just a thought....If they did record new tracks, they could bundle them with a live show to to take the edge off any contention new music may cause. I’m not saying it’s likely, just that it would be an interesting release. Like an EP perhaps and live tracks not featured on the first release.

Ray

Post by Ray »

@Nicki

How about the whole O2 shows that were filmed? Would have made a perfect live release with most important songs and their whole massive production. They could have included some others as bonus.

Aside from that, just because you/we haven't seen more on YouTube doesn't mean there is nothing more. I know of bootlegs/filmed shows from two Rio shows, that Big Ben Silvester event, the Japan 2014 concert, Global Citizen and the O2 shows. That's already A LOT to pick from, especially if you want to do a compilation like that. You want to tell me that of all those complete filmed shows, those 100 minutes we got are all that was played well enough for a release?

They basically "collected" years of shows and had the luxury to do whatever they want. They could have even released a boxset with multiple full concerts, but it wasn't even one in the end. Other bands usually only have one show they film and release that, they don't have that luxury. QAL had massive amounts of material. Still there isn't even some bonus material...they did this nice documentary of QAL...would have made a perfect addition to a live release. But no.

Imagine they released the complete O2 show with some extras like f.e. the Live Aid set and a few other festival recordings from songs missing from the O2 setlist. That's what you could usually expect from a live release of a band. Wouldn't you have preferred that to what we got? Even if it was only the O2 shows and some backstage material or interviews, wouldn't that have made a way better release than this compilation? You can't tell me that you prefer those random festival recordings (that are mostly on YouTube already anyway) to a full show from the last tour we have no footage of...you were there, you know how big the difference is.

Just saying... that's what you usually can expect from other bands, I'm not making up a dream release of any kind. I already mentioned some recent examples of other bands who all did way better live releases.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

rpt81 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:47 am
Old Man wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:28 am Sadly even on this forum no one answers my question, whether there is surround sound and if - in what quality.
These are the only audio options available

And meanwhile, here's a bonus image to show whoever titled the Blu-ray wasn't paying attention

Thank you very much for showing - that was more than I expected ! :)

Sadly it doesn't look like surround sound, so I guess I wait a while, till the price goes down. At the moment the CD/DVD package costs 30 € on the net, and for me only the DVD is of interest. But it's okay, I can wait.. ;)

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Ray wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:05 pm @Nicki

How about the whole O2 shows that were filmed? Would have made a perfect live release with most important songs and their whole massive production. They could have included some others as bonus.

Aside from that, just because you/we haven't seen more on YouTube doesn't mean there is nothing more. I know of bootlegs/filmed shows from two Rio shows, that Big Ben Silvester event, the Japan 2014 concert, Global Citizen and the O2 shows. That's already A LOT to pick from, especially if you want to do a compilation like that. You want to tell me that of all those complete filmed shows, those 100 minutes we got are all that was played well enough for a release?

They basically "collected" years of shows and had the luxury to do whatever they want. They could have even released a boxset with multiple full concerts, but it wasn't even one in the end. Other bands usually only have one show they film and release that, they don't have that luxury. QAL had massive amounts of material. Still there isn't even some bonus material...they did this nice documentary of QAL...would have made a perfect addition to a live release. But no.

Imagine they released the complete O2 show with some extras like f.e. the Live Aid set and a few other festival recordings from songs missing from the O2 setlist. That's what you could usually expect from a live release of a band. Wouldn't you have preferred that to what we got? Even if it was only the O2 shows and some backstage material or interviews, wouldn't that have made a way better release than this compilation? You can't tell me that you prefer those random festival recordings (that are mostly on YouTube already anyway) to a full show from the last tour we have no footage of...you were there, you know how big the difference is.

Just saying... that's what you usually can expect from other bands, I'm not making up a dream release of any kind. I already mentioned some recent examples of other bands who all did way better live releases.
You have put it better than I did or could, thanks for a very reasonable, valid post. I hope my posts were at least valid :?

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

@Ray
I think we’re just talking about 2 different things. All you say is true. They HAVE more material. I never said they haven’t. Or I expressed myself wrong.

Of course, the whole London Show with Extras would be great. I do hope, that they will release it at some point. I have been hoping that for years. Every time the news spread that a show was filmed professionally. The shows in Sydney 2014, Wembley 2015, Barcelona 2016 (or maybe that was just the VR Encore?). It never happened.

It’s just that I accept, that they intended something different with that release.
It’s actually „just“ a fast and easily done release, where they put together the records that are already cut and mixed. And from those they have chosen their favorite ones. And in that I say they did chose the best videos. That’s my opinion, of course. I do have the BBC New Year‘s Eve performance, both Rock in Rios, Summer Sonic, Global Citizen, the Iheart performances and more on my computer. Mind, I haven’t watched them lately, but I think they did choose the best versions of what’s already available.

Again: just talking about these, because that’s what they have chosen to do.

I hope, this makes things a bit clearer, denn ich denke, wir reden bisher einfach aneinander vorbei. ;) (Sorry, I didn‘t know, how to say that it English. But I think, you speak German as well? If not, I‘ll try to translate).

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

I say why not simply ENJOY what they have put out instead of taking it apart and trying to put it back together the way YOU would like it? I was disappointed in 2017 when It’s Late and Spread Your Wings was not played at my show and I was worried that they wouldn’t play Machines at my show in 2019 and thrilled when they did, but I still absolutely loved every minute/second of what they did do! And that’s how I feel when I watch this DVD. It is great that you can go into the menu and select a certain song/performance to watch without having to go through the whole album. I’m very happy to have this wonderful album instead of just watching it on YouTube.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

So true @carolb57 and thanks for the reminder.

We should really enjoy this release and the band as long as we still have them.

Stonecoldcrazy71

Post by Stonecoldcrazy71 »

I don't like when old bands like Queen and Journey, ect hire new singers too sing old hits without creating nothing new like ACDC and Van Halen did.. I'm not sure how any Queen fan could be super excited about It. I Personally would love Brian and Roger too make an album with a legit Rock singer under a different name. Lambert fans I could understand the excitement since he's not a great songwriter and he's singing legendary songs.. I did check out the album on YouTube so I could give an unbiased opinion. Brian and Roger sound good especially Roger on those drums at 70. I still don't think Lambert Is a proper Rock singer, but the songs they selected were mostly Pop and Ballads that fit his voice, Love kills for example. Overall, for what they are It's a pretty decent album. Lambert Is also less annoying than he once was.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

This is a nice little post on social media by well known comedian Matt Lucas who is a massive Queen fan with Brian commenting on it...