Live Around The World

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
the milkman

Re: Live Around The World

Post by the milkman »

As far as streaming goes Queen have two albums in the top 100 this week but LATW isn’t one of them. :shock:

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/a ... ing-chart/

Greatest Hits -12
The Platinum Collection -54

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

the milkman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:53 pm As far as streaming goes Queen have two albums in the top 100 this week but LATW isn’t one of them. :shock:

Greatest Hits -12
These albums have been in the streaming charts since forever. The songs are on countless streaming lists.

That’s great for them (and some other old, but very successful albums/artists). IMO that’s the point, where the charts today show a distorted picture. In the old days, it was only new sales, today it’s about sales and what people are listening to. In the old days nobody cared, if you listened to your Michael Jackson album for the 100th time or not. Today it can bring him into the charts, when you’re listening via streaming.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Queen’s Greatest Hits has been on the album chart for years. Way before streaming ever existed and way before your little playlists that you always bring up.

It’s on there because that is what people like and a shit load of people like it.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

According to wiki it’s been on the UK album chart for 900 weeks.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

I didn’t say, that people don’t like it. But I know, that at least in my country it has always been in the charts since streaming began. Before that it was on, when something Queen related had happened and people went to buy it. Otherwise it fell off. That doesn’t happen any longer.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Have you noticed that the sales only charts are full of veterans too? That’s because only old people buy music. The charts didn’t look like that back before streaming as well.

The charts count physical sales more than streams so that helps the older artists chart a little higher.

It’s different but it is what it is. The top 100 is the top 100.

AngelR

Post by AngelR »

"According to wiki it’s been on the UK album chart for 900 weeks."

Wow!!! Extraordinary!
There was a question on the Chase (quiz show) today about who sold the most UK albums. The options were Queen, ABBA and Beatles.
Guess what was the correct answer....the contestant picked ABBA. 😁

AngelR

Post by AngelR »

the milkman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:01 pm
AngelR wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm Yet, they underestimated demand over here.
I think any TV promotion works. Prime time TV especially.
They didn't have time to plan any shows participation even over here. Also Brian's been still recovering after his health scare. So, I think the UK and Australia #1s are really cool!
Great news from Australia today, LATW is #2 on ARIA albums chart this week!
But it’s a live album with no new songs. What did you expect? Live albums aren’t promoted like a new album.

Is it sold out in the UK? Can you not get it now?

Amazon UK has all of the editions and I remember somebody here saying they dropped the price to 5.99 to get it to number one in the UK.

How did they underestimate the demand? You must live in Australia.
Yes, the album was sold out on HMV, twice. It's out of stock on their site now. The Amazon promotion lasted about 24 hours only. There was a worning about delays in delivery. There shouldn't be delays for prime members, hence I presume they had them out of stock as well.
The red vinyls are sold out completely. Why couldn't they produce more of those and the ones with the pictures???
https://store.hmv.com/store/music/cd/li ... e-world-cd

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

the milkman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:53 pm As far as streaming goes Queen have two albums in the top 100 this week but LATW isn’t one of them. :shock:

Greatest Hits -12
Wow.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Nicki wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:03 pm
That’s great for them (and some other old, but very successful albums/artists). IMO that’s the point, where the charts today show a distorted picture. In the old days, it was only new sales, today it’s about sales and what people are listening to. In the old days nobody cared, if you listened to your Michael Jackson album for the 100th time or not. Today it can bring him into the charts, when you’re listening via streaming.
Lol, in the old days MJ was in the charts all the time either, even way more than today. Not a good choice bringing up the most succesful solo musician ever for that argument. ;)

But I get what you mean. That's why I don't give a shit about charts anyways. Much of the best and highest quality music is never listened to by the masses, it's more about "fashion" usually, what's current and what "all the others" listen to. Doesn't have to do anything with quality necessarily. Queen (and MJ) are a rather rare case when high quality meets huge success.

And the Greatest Hits album is most times in the charts afaik...it's not the best-selling UK album of all time for no reason. And Queen's best-selling album overall. Casual fans always want compilations, the ones who are really interested in a band get the regular albums.