Live Around The World

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
the milkman

Re: Live Around The World

Post by the milkman »

AngelR wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:04 am
the milkman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:01 pm
AngelR wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm Yet, they underestimated demand over here.
I think any TV promotion works. Prime time TV especially.
They didn't have time to plan any shows participation even over here. Also Brian's been still recovering after his health scare. So, I think the UK and Australia #1s are really cool!
Great news from Australia today, LATW is #2 on ARIA albums chart this week!
But it’s a live album with no new songs. What did you expect? Live albums aren’t promoted like a new album.

Is it sold out in the UK? Can you not get it now?

Amazon UK has all of the editions and I remember somebody here saying they dropped the price to 5.99 to get it to number one in the UK.

How did they underestimate the demand? You must live in Australia.
Yes, the album was sold out on HMV, twice. It's out of stock on their site now. The Amazon promotion lasted about 24 hours only. There was a worning about delays in delivery. There shouldn't be delays for prime members, hence I presume they had them out of stock as well.
The red vinyls are sold out completely. Why couldn't they produce more of those and the ones with the pictures???
https://store.hmv.com/store/music/cd/li ... e-world-cd
The picture disc and color vinyl were probably limited editions for collectors. If you make too many of them they’re not that special.

https://store.hmv.com/search?searchtext ... +the+world

So the CD only version is the only one sold out? It’s not even released here. Maybe they didn’t make as many because they want you to buy the more expensive version. Maybe they thought more people would be interested in the DVD/Blu Ray version.

I get delays from Amazon all the time. The last time was with the new Prince CD. Instead of getting it on release day I got it a few days later. I even preordered it the day it went on the site. The same thing happened with the new Erasure CD. That used to never happen but it’s happening more and more now. Maybe they don’t order as much as they used to.
Last edited by the milkman on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Ray wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:43 am
Nicki wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:03 pm
That’s great for them (and some other old, but very successful albums/artists). IMO that’s the point, where the charts today show a distorted picture. In the old days, it was only new sales, today it’s about sales and what people are listening to. In the old days nobody cared, if you listened to your Michael Jackson album for the 100th time or not. Today it can bring him into the charts, when you’re listening via streaming.
Lol, in the old days MJ was in the charts all the time either, even way more than today. Not a good choice bringing up the most succesful solo musician ever for that argument. ;)

But I get what you mean. That's why I don't give a shit about charts anyways. Much of the best and highest quality music is never listened to by the masses, it's more about "fashion" usually, what's current and what "all the others" listen to. Doesn't have to do anything with quality necessarily. Queen (and MJ) are a rather rare case when high quality meets huge success.

And the Greatest Hits album is most times in the charts afaik...it's not the best-selling UK album of all time for no reason. And Queen's best-selling album overall. Casual fans always want compilations, the ones who are really interested in a band get the regular albums.

I don’t understand why some people care so much about the charts. A number one album doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a hit. If it falls right off the charts after that it still can be considered a commercial flop. I’m talking in general and not about LATW. Now Adam’s second album was a #1 album here but it fell off the charts in a few weeks. It was considered a flop and RCA didn’t want to pay for a new album. They told him to make a cover album or leave. He chose to leave.

1st album sold over 800,000
2nd less than 200,000

Album sales didn’t drop that much in three years!

I agree that most of the best music doesn’t chart very high. Most of the albums I listen to are in the top 40 for one week only. Some don’t even make the top 40.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

LATW is #29 today on Amazon in the USA. Is that good?

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

carolb57 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:05 pm LATW is #29 today on Amazon in the USA. Is that good?
I think the album did pretty good worldwide. It’s a live album so don’t expect too much.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

I think, I‘ve missed this Interview from the day of the release. Adam explains at the beginning, how they chose the songs. And that Freddie cake looks really funny (the cake is only topic at the very end of the interview, the title is a bit misleading).

Ray

Post by Ray »

Now THAT'S how you do a "Around The World Live" release properly... ;)

https://www.amazon.de/Deep-Purple-Aroun ... +ar&sr=8-1

Three complete concerts from different years and countries, some bonus like half another concert and interviews, and a disc with a complete documentary. All inside a nice book packaging with photos and text, available for a good price.

For QAL this w/could have been:
DVD 1: O2 show 2018 and some backstage bonus
DVD 2: one of the Rio shows 2016 or 2015
DVD 3: the Tokyo 2014 show + Live Aid set
DVD 4: The Show Must Go On - The QAL story documentary

Just sayin. ;)
Last edited by Ray on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

If Brian and Roger do something like that it will be at least 150 Euros.

Ray

Post by Ray »

the milkman wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:55 pm If Brian and Roger do something like that it will be at least 150 Euros.
That's true unfortunately. I'm glad bands like Deep Purple release many live albums/DVDs in good quality and without asking high prices. I prefer that to being able to buy socks, jewelry and shit liks that.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

HMV had this on rotation when I popped in the other day.

Safe to say it won't convert me to Adam. Fair play to those who like him but he's never stopped being another faceless talent show contestant to me.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Queen just released another official video from the BuRay/DVD on YouTube:
Somebody to Love (from the Isle if Wright 2016).
I really enjoyed this video, when I watched my BluRay for the first time. I can’t remember, if it had been available on YT before, but for me it looked new! It’s also the only song on the album, where Adam actually interacts with the audience, even if it’s just a little bit.