Live Around The World

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
Online
carolb57
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:10 am

Re: Live Around The World

Post by carolb57 »

I’m watching the LATW DVD right now. I’m at the Last Horizon solo at the O2 with the spectacular overhead shot showing the view of the whole guitar shaped stage! If they ever put that performance on TV, people would lose it.

I’m so glad to have these memories!

User avatar
MusicalProstitute
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Re: Live Around The World

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 pm
eiricd wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:48 pm on the wish list for video releases I must always throw in
QPR - Hyde Park 2005
QPR - any 2008 gig that was later in the tour. Preferably the first o2 gig which I thought was superb. There's stuff from south america, too.. The Ukraine video is about as representative for QPR 2008 as this live around the world is for qal
The QPR release will never happen. For some reason It's like the paul Rodgers era never happened. The band never talks about It and most fans forgotten about It.
Most people have forgotten QPR because it was never a big thing. And the whole thing was a bit of a let-down for many: the album was a bit of a joke and the live shows did not sell great, especially in the States. Also, Brian and Roger did not look happy by the end of it.

I love Paul's voice and respect him as his own man, etc. But he was such a wrong fit for the band, imo.

Stonecoldcrazy71
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:50 pm

Re: Live Around The World

Post by Stonecoldcrazy71 »

MusicalProstitute wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:25 am
Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 pm
eiricd wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:48 pm on the wish list for video releases I must always throw in
QPR - Hyde Park 2005
QPR - any 2008 gig that was later in the tour. Preferably the first o2 gig which I thought was superb. There's stuff from south america, too.. The Ukraine video is about as representative for QPR 2008 as this live around the world is for qal
The QPR release will never happen. For some reason It's like the paul Rodgers era never happened. The band never talks about It and most fans forgotten about It.
Most people have forgotten QPR because it was never a big thing. And the whole thing was a bit of a let-down for many: the album was a bit of a joke and the live shows did not sell great, especially in the States. Also, Brian and Roger did not look happy by the end of it.

I love Paul's voice and respect him as his own man, etc. But he was such a wrong fit for the band, imo.
It wasn't a great fit, but at least they were trying too be creative recording new music unlike Queen + Lambert who are playing We Will Rock You and Another On Bites The Dust over and over and over and over and over without creating nothing new.

User avatar
Ray
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:35 pm

Re: Live Around The World

Post by Ray »

Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:57 pmIt wasn't a great fit, but at least they were trying too be creative recording new music unlike Queen + Lambert who are playing We Will Rock You and Another On Bites The Dust over and over and over and over and over without creating nothing new.
I see no sense in them trying to do new music as QAL. They tried once with PR and it failed. Their catalogue is full of hits and no matter what they would write today, it wouldn't come close to that. So why bother and spending time on something that won't interest many people in the end anyway? I still haven't heard the full QPR album by now since I always get bored by the 4th or 5th song. And it doesn't really sound like Queen anyway, so I'm not surprised at all it's almost forgotten already. And it would be pretty similar with AL.

I'd like Brian to make another solo album though, that could be interesting. But that won't happen either, at least as long as QAL is still a thing and he has a way better opportunity to tour with that. I doubt he will do tours of any kind after QAL anyway. QAL is a late epilogue in Queen history and Brian and Roger's musical career, not the beginning of something new.

User avatar
MusicalProstitute
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Re: Live Around The World

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:57 pm
MusicalProstitute wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:25 am
Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 pm

The QPR release will never happen. For some reason It's like the paul Rodgers era never happened. The band never talks about It and most fans forgotten about It.
Most people have forgotten QPR because it was never a big thing. And the whole thing was a bit of a let-down for many: the album was a bit of a joke and the live shows did not sell great, especially in the States. Also, Brian and Roger did not look happy by the end of it.

I love Paul's voice and respect him as his own man, etc. But he was such a wrong fit for the band, imo.
It wasn't a great fit, but at least they were trying too be creative recording new music unlike Queen + Lambert who are playing We Will Rock You and Another On Bites The Dust over and over and over and over and over without creating nothing new.
Um, QAL have not yet released their own material; therefore, of course they are going to be covering the same songs - which amounts to so much more than the couple of tracks you mentioned obviously.

If Queen and Adam did create something new they would only be attacked by certain Queenies anyway. They simply cannot win. Do not record anything and they get accused of not being creative; record new material and all we will hear is 'it's not Queen', etc. Dull, dull dull.

Speaking of dull, QPR were beyond boring. Stage presence was zero. The music they recorded was abysmal by Queen standards. And they did not gel too well live either - nothing like they do with Adam anyway.

They made the right choice..

User avatar
MusicalProstitute
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Re: Live Around The World

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Ray wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:25 pm


I see no sense in them trying to do new music as QAL. They tried once with PR and it failed. Their catalogue is full of hits and no matter what they would write today, it wouldn't come close to that. So why bother and spending time on something that won't interest many people in the end anyway? I still haven't heard the full QPR album by now since I always get bored by the 4th or 5th song. And it doesn't really sound like Queen anyway, so I'm not surprised at all it's almost forgotten already. And it would be pretty similar with AL.

I'd like Brian to make another solo album though, that could be interesting. But that won't happen either, at least as long as QAL is still a thing and he has a way better opportunity to tour with that. I doubt he will do tours of any kind after QAL anyway. QAL is a late epilogue in Queen history and Brian and Roger's musical career, not the beginning of something new.
I'm in total agreement with this. At this point in their career, I see no point in recording anything new either. I mean, they are hardly the young, hungry men they once were - the music would reflect this. They have one of the greatest back catalogues in musical history - use that.

The QPR album was so mediocre it bored me to tears.

As for Brian releasing another album - I would be up for that too. But, as you say, that is highly unlikely to happen. Shame though. Give me Back To The Light part two any day of the week.

User avatar
Ray
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:35 pm

Re: Live Around The World

Post by Ray »

MusicalProstitute wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:42 pm
As for Brian releasing another album - I would be up for that too. But, as you say, that is highly unlikely to happen. Shame though. Give me Back To The Light part two any day of the week.
Yes, that album was really good. Couldn't get into "Another World" yet. A proper DVD release of Live at Brixton 93 would be nice, too.

Come on, Bri, put the 3D photos away for a few days. :D

User avatar
Nicki
Posts: 1031
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 pm

Re: Live Around The World

Post by Nicki »

It looks like Brian is currently busy recording a Christmas album with Kerry Ellis.


Before that, he worked with the Kings Daughters on their first album.
It doesn’t look like he’s going to work on new solo music soon.

User avatar
MusicalProstitute
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Re: Live Around The World

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:23 pm
MusicalProstitute wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:42 pm
As for Brian releasing another album - I would be up for that too. But, as you say, that is highly unlikely to happen. Shame though. Give me Back To The Light part two any day of the week.
Yes, that album was really good. Couldn't get into "Another World" yet. A proper DVD release of Live at Brixton 93 would be nice, too.

Come on, Bri, put the 3D photos away for a few days. :D
Yeah, BTTL was a strong release for sure. One can hear how much emotion went into that one. I think it still holds up well today too.

Another World had its moments, but was no way as consistently strong and good as its predecessor.

And, yeah, if we could only convince him to drop the stereoscopic stuff and the badgers for a while, we may get to see more stuff!

Stonecoldcrazy71
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:50 pm

Re: Live Around The World

Post by Stonecoldcrazy71 »

I remember Brian saying that "solo albums are hard work, and It's not worth the effort. People only want Queen, It's a shame because a lot of good music Is on BTTL". Personally, I like the album. Some highlights for sure, but rarely If ever Listen to It. I like his voice for 2 or 3 songs per album.

Post Reply