Edinburgh Press Night

All about the phenomenal stage show based on the music of Queen.

Edinburgh Press Night

Postby BitterTears » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Went to this last night and as it was World AIDS Day, it also doubled up as a Charity Gala night for the Mercury Phoenix Trust.

Outside the venue was a young lady playing Queen songs on the bagpipes.

The show started with the QPR tour remix of It's a Beautiful Day. How long they been doing that? They didn't use that in Aberdeen earlier in the tour.

I saw the show 7 times in Aberdeen in the summer and it's interesting to see how the show has evolved. Just tiny little details changed, timings, one extra word here or there.

Amanda Coutts....for me the best Scara we've had. I hope she gets a proper run as Scara at the Dom at some point. She may well be sick of WWRY by now though, she's been with them in some form for beards.

Even after all the times I've seen WWRY, it still brings a tear to my eye. When Meat steps forward and says 'Freddie...'. Aw, man. It's heartbreaking. Despite not being a fan of Elvis at all, I actually find that bit just before No One But You about who 'The King' was very touching. "A rebel who spawned a thousand rebels".

Anyway, the crowd were really into it and for the first time I had ever seen, Pop didn't need to do the 'I said....QUEEN' joke (he did anyway)

Funny thing about WWRY when it's in Scotland. The crowd never knows whether to cheer or boo when Pop's rousing speech culminates in....WEMBLEY! It got a cheer last night though.

Brian, of course, sauntered out for the guitar solos on Bo Rhap. After the first sequence, he made a gesture with his fingers like he was stretching them, I didn't think anything of it at the time. However, afterwards my partner said that she thought he had missed a lot of notes...I didn't pick up on that however, but it would explain why he so theatrically gestured with his hands, almost like an apology

Brian also gave a short speech at the end, centring around World AIDS Day and the MPT.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Re: Edinburgh Press Night

Postby dragononmyback » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 am

It's a beautiful day is often played when there is a special appearence.
As far as I am aware this is the only time that it is used and it has have never been played at a normal (ie. no special guests) show.
No synthesisers were used in the production of this post.

dragononmyback
Spread Your Wings

Yay! A speech bubble

Re: Edinburgh Press Night

Postby drmurph » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:51 pm

I was there also and I'd agree Brian was pretty rusty sounding. As you said He stopped altogether during the tricky runs at the end of the Bohemian rhapsody rock section and an in house guitarist took over.

This is available on you tube to watch, from two POVs. (don't know the link, sorry)

I was also interested by the fact their was a more positive?/neutral? reaction to Wembley being mentioned. Understandable based on it's sporting context. I have previously seen WWRY in Glasgow where it's mention was largely booed.

From the small bits of Brian's playing I've heard recently (Youtube mostly) is he up to touring again? (hope he doesn't read this and take offence!) maybe the fingers just won't do what they used to, or is he just out of practice and a tour could get those fingers sharp again?

drmurph
Spread Your Wings

Return to We Will Rock You