I‘m planning to buy it.
3%
I didn’t buy it, but I‘m streaming it.
5%

Total votes: 39

Jake

Re: Did you buy Live Around the World?

Post by Jake »

Dave wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:02 pm Adam Lambert is a great talent and is well suited to the Queen's music. I really enjoyed the show I went to and this album is great. Freddie Mercury was great but there's nothing he did that Lambert can't do as a singer or performer. I don't think Lambert could write songs like Freddie but he is on a par with him as a singer/performer.

Freddie's dead but life goes on. If Brian May and Roger Taylor can still pull the crowds in then good luck to them and Queen+AL.
Adam is more sluggish on stage than a crooner in Las Vegas. Wayne Newton is well more energetic than Adam.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Old Man wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:16 am
Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:02 am In 50 years Lambert will be forgotten..His fame Is based on songs that Freddie either wrote or made famous with his voice. Too say Lambert might not be on the level of Freddie as a writer is an understatement. The man Is almost 40 and has never written anything that's considered good.
I think everyone should now by now, that Lambert was never considered to "replace" Freddie. Lambert was chosen as a singer allowing the remaining members to carry on playing the Queen catalogue. He has an amazing vocal range and like Freddie he can sing songs in probably any key. And that's it.
Like it or not, but if Lambert lives long enough, he will be the link to the Queen music for future generations, when the original members are (and so are we...) long gone. And what's wrong about it? This week there was a guy on TV performing on Mozart's original violin......Guess what will happen many years from now with a certain "Red guitar".... ;)
Brian’s kids will have the Red Special, not Adam.

AngelR

Post by AngelR »

Jake wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 pm
Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:02 am In 50 years Lambert will be forgotten..His fame Is based on songs that Freddie either wrote or made famous with his voice. Too say Lambert might not be on the level of Freddie as a writer is an understatement. The man Is almost 40 and has never written anything that's considered good.
I think everyone should now by now, that Lambert was never considered to "replace" Freddie. Lambert was chosen as a singer allowing the remaining members to carry on playing the Queen catalogue. He has an amazing vocal range and like Freddie he can sing songs in probably any key. And that's it.
Like it or not, but if Lambert lives long enough, he will be the link to the Queen music for future generations, when the original members are (and so are we...) long gone. And what's wrong about it? This week there was a guy on TV performing on Mozart's original violin......Guess what will happen many years from now with a certain "Red guitar".... ;)
Why? Are any of his children professional musicians? Brian might have other plans for his guitar.

AngelR

Post by AngelR »

Double post, sry.
Last edited by AngelR on Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Jake wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 pm
Too sentimental of a piece to belong to anyone else except his family.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Ray wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:30 pm
midnight sky wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:51 pm Music should be about the passion for doing it, not the money.
Lol, you clearly don't know how hard/rare it is to make a living from music. Most musicians thinking like that are poor or make money from other jobs.

Adam is one of the very rare lucky ones who got a once in a lifetime opportunity. There are many very talented musicians who never get any kind of success. Adam was lucky to get Brian's and Roger's attention through that contest and he would be stupid to not take the chance they gave him. They are the ones playing for passion, since they are rich and don't need to do it. Adam knows this is as popular as he will probably ever get, but he is still young and since his solo career isn't as successful as expected (from what I read here), he is working now for probably harder times later when making money will be much harder again. But not only that, you can't deny that guy has a huge passion for music, singing and Queen. He does it for both reasons and that's not a bad thing at all! And he has lots of talent, so I'm happy for him. No matter if you like his voice or not, it was Brian's and Roger's choice and as I said, Adam would be stupid if he didn't take that amazing offer.
I never claimed to know it works. I just think performers should put passion before money. I think Queen did put passion or rather the love of music before money.
Damn right AL was lucky to capture Brian's and Roger's attention, he'd probably wouldn't have a career as a singer without that.
I do agree most of the time he does have passion for the music, other times, not so much. New Eyes and Coming In Hot from Velvet are times I think he's half assing it, because those songs aren't original in my book. But wow, how he did Feel Something, the lyrics, how he sang it, it's the strongest solo song he's ever done in my book.
The fact Q+AL has lasted this long is a surprise to me in a way, but I've thought for years AL has put Q+AL before anything else in his career.

Ray

Post by Ray »

midnight sky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:05 am I never claimed to know it works. I just think performers should put passion before money. I think Queen did put passion or rather the love of music before money.
Damn right AL was lucky to capture Brian's and Roger's attention, he'd probably wouldn't have a career as a singer without that.
I do agree most of the time he does have passion for the music, other times, not so much. New Eyes and Coming In Hot from Velvet are times I think he's half assing it, because those songs aren't original in my book. But wow, how he did Feel Something, the lyrics, how he sang it, it's the strongest solo song he's ever done in my book.
The fact Q+AL has lasted this long is a surprise to me in a way, but I've thought for years AL has put Q+AL before anything else in his career.
I can't speak for his solo work since I don't know it. It didn't capture my attention the few times I listened to his songs, but I'm not into mainstream pop music anyways, so that's not his fault.

About him probably not having a career with Brian and Roger...that would be a shame though, wouldn't it? No matter what you think of him in QAL, most still can agree that he is a very talented and skilled singer. So for somebody like him not having a career without QAL, that would be pretty sad...yet not unlikely, and that's how hard the music business is. There are thousands of great musicians out there who nobody knows. You need to have the luck to get a big career like that, not just the skill. It's like winning the lottery. Or you look like a model and have a huge marketing team behind you that tells the whole world you are the next big star. Those exist too, especially in pop music.

As I said, I can't talk about his solo work, but there are way less talented people being even way more lucky than him in the music industry, so I'm glad it's a friendly and actually talented guy in this case. The fact that Adam puts QAL first is because he knows it's the biggest thing he'll most likely ever achieve and it won't last forever. It's just pure logic and anyone in his position would do so. And I don't blame him for that, especially since it's an absolute dream he is living. He loves Queen music, he gets along with Brian and Roger very good, he can hear endless stories of them about their whole career and basically music history of the last 50 years, he plays to big audiences, he earns very good money and he can still do his solo stuff when he wants to.... it's an absolute dream that he is living. But it will end some day, and still then the friendship with those two guys will remain and he has an experience like very less else. It makes absolutely sense from his point of view.

About QAL lasting that long...I don't know, I think QPR could have lasted longer too if it wasn't for he personal or whatever reasons they ended it. Queen music is one of the very best catalogues you can have for a concert and there will always be people who want to hear those songs live. And for the three guys...they of course enjoy it a lot, so they continue as long as possible. Even before the movie there was enough audience for years. And there are old bands with even only one original member remaining, so that's not for everyone as big of a deal as it is for many Queen fans.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:38 pm Of course if I was In lamberts position I would do the same lol. I also think he's a good guy and could sing, so I'm not hating, but His fans really think Lambert saved Queen and Is on the level Of Mercury. That's my Issue. Trust me I had my fill of Lambert fans and many think Mercury Is below Adam. He has done well for himself, but as far as being a great?..my original statement stands, he has no Identity. No signature solo song and singing famous Queen songs don't make you great.
Tbh, I don't care what his fans think. You will find fans of any popular singer who say s/he is the best ever and better than Freddie and all of the other great singers. It's an opinion, not a fact, and everyone can have his/her own.

Of course I don't agree with those fans either, Adam has probably the largest shoes to fill and no, he isn't on the level of Freddie. And he is the first to know and admit it. So why care for what some of his fans say who admire him? If they enjoy his music and voice that much, good for them. If they can't get and understand what's all special about Freddie, that's their loss.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

midnight sky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:05 am
Ray wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:30 pm
midnight sky wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:51 pm Music should be about the passion for doing it, not the money.
Lol, you clearly don't know how hard/rare it is to make a living from music. Most musicians thinking like that are poor or make money from other jobs.

Adam is one of the very rare lucky ones who got a once in a lifetime opportunity. There are many very talented musicians who never get any kind of success. Adam was lucky to get Brian's and Roger's attention through that contest and he would be stupid to not take the chance they gave him. They are the ones playing for passion, since they are rich and don't need to do it. Adam knows this is as popular as he will probably ever get, but he is still young and since his solo career isn't as successful as expected (from what I read here), he is working now for probably harder times later when making money will be much harder again. But not only that, you can't deny that guy has a huge passion for music, singing and Queen. He does it for both reasons and that's not a bad thing at all! And he has lots of talent, so I'm happy for him. No matter if you like his voice or not, it was Brian's and Roger's choice and as I said, Adam would be stupid if he didn't take that amazing offer.
I never claimed to know it works. I just think performers should put passion before money. I think Queen did put passion or rather the love of music before money.
No surpise to me that Qal keeps going.
- bri and rog are happy with him as a vehicle for keeping the Queen machine going on the touring front
- lambert could turn them down - but what would he have to fall back on? No catalouge of his own to speak of, and his own touring would be a small affair compared to what Queen enables him to do
- although they praise him, lambert is in no way shape or form an equal to brian and roger. he's a young up and coming employe, but when it comes to decisions making, his vote is not 33,3%, and far from it. Guaranteed.

I'm sure the latter point is a part of the reason why QPR couldn't continue.
Paul is a legend in his own right, and he was a legend before Queen put out their first album. And although as a solo artist his touring schedule concists of small venues, he has an impressive catalogue of bona fide classic songs. Also, any singer will tell you Rodgers is incredibly gifted, and the amount of big name singers who cite him as an influence and credits him as the "the voice" is staggering.
In other words; he's not going to be told what to do. His name is too big for that.
I think there's a quote from him regarding the TCR album and its recording process, where he says brian and roger were calling the shots in the political sense. I'm sure he quickly became fed up with that, if that's the case.

MusicalProstitute

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Finally got round to watching the whole dvd and thoroughly enjoyed it; and I cannot comprehend why a few people are saying it is substandard visually - it looked wonderful. My only - very minor complaint - is that the audience sounded pretty low in the mix for me. I think we may be getting a sequel to this at some point.

Also, Love Kills is a revelation. Absolutely stunning version. Wow.