Tony Vincent on The Voice

All about the phenomenal stage show based on the music of Queen.

Tony Vincent on The Voice

Postby soxtalon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:47 pm

For those who do not know... The Voice is one of those singing competitions. The gimmick is that its all about the voice not the look. There are 4 judges (Blake Shelton - American country star, Christina Aguilera - American diva, Adam Levine - lead singer of Maroon 5, and Cee-Lo Green - he of 'Forget You', Goodie Mobb, and Gnarls Barkley fame). They sit with their backs to the stage and listen to the voice of the auditioner and if they like what they hear they press their button and turn around to watch the rest of the audition. At the end of the song if no one has turned around the person is done. If one coach turned around then the auditioner is on that coaches team. If more than one turn around, the auditioner gets to choose which team to be on (of those that turned around). Then after the teams form they have battle rounds where the coaches mentor their teams and they have 1 from each team sing. Then it's much like other singing competitions.

The only problem is that it is better in theory than in reality. In reality judges are very liberal in the beginning but as we get down to the wire, they only have so many slots left to fill so they get much stingier and they have an idea of who is in their team and how they can run with it so...basically those who audition on day 1 have a clear advantage over those on days 4-5.

Whew. Ok well the reason I wrote that was that Tony Vincent (original star of WWRY for those who didn't know) auditioned for The Voice tonight.

They talked about his background first and that he was in Rent and JCS on Broadway. Then he mentioned how he got to work exclusively with Queen as they started out WWRY in the West End and showed a nice picture of him and Brian laughing together. They also mentioned that he debuted the Vegas version and that's where he met his wife (she who played Scaramouche) and are expecting a baby together.

Anyways he goes to his audition and uses...We Are The Champions. While I don't think it was quite as good as he did it in WWRY it was still a fun belting out. Surprisingly only one judge though turned around. At first I was annoyed but there are reasons. A. What I wrote above. B. Blake really would be out of his element working with this guy. He's a down home country/folk type singer and TV is way too over the top. C. Adam honestly was probably a bit intimidated as Adam is clear he only sings in his comfort zone and TV was way out of that. I'm not sure why Christina didn't turn although it's always been clear she plays it safe and usually chooses female diva types.

BUT Cee-Lo did turn around and it made it a great fit. Cee-Lo said that he has a wonderful voice and that it takes a brave soul to tackle Freddie Mercury and that voice but he thinks Freddie would have approved of TV or whatever...so we'll see where it goes from here.

ON YouTube there is the performance but not the pre-performance bit - that you can go on nbc.com to watch the full episode (at least in America - I don't know what the deal is internationally).

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Tony Vincent on The Voice

Postby fairydandy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks for that. He looks painfully thin these days, is he ok?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby eiricd » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:08 pm

his wife..is she the one who sang with meat loaf on the bat 3 tour?

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby soxtalon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:53 am

Not sure about his wife but I think so. And fd I know someone who worked on American Idiot who indicated he had ti fight off an eating disorder and definitely still drank like a rock star...but overall he was finding his way

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:01 am

fairydandy wrote:Thanks for that. He looks painfully thin these days, is he ok?

I saw the whole programme the other night, I hate to say it, his look did worry me. I guess you would know more than almost anyone else, did he sound good to you?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby fairydandy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:54 pm

icy wrote:

I saw the whole programme the other night, I hate to say it, his look did worry me. I guess you would know more than almost anyone else, did he sound good to you?

Not particularly, but he is a good vocalist. I preferred both Mig Ayesa and Ricardo Alfonso as 'Galilleo' in the musical though.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:54 am

fairydandy wrote:
icy wrote:

Not particularly, but he is a good vocalist. I preferred both Mig Ayesa and Ricardo Alfonso as 'Galilleo' in the musical though.

From what I've seen of him on the net, he is good...much better than how he was on The Voice. He wasn't on top form.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby FozzieMK » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:06 pm

eiricd wrote:his wife..is she the one who sang with meat loaf on the bat 3 tour?

Yes Tony's wife is Aspen Vincent who sang with Meatloaf on the 3 bats tour. As to his health, he has spoken in interviews about having an eating disorder. He has not appeared in any of the team elimination rounds yet, but more information and videos can be gleaned from:

http://www.facebook.com/TonyVincentTheVoice#!/TeamTV

Here is the link to the full audition with all of the interviews and lead-up story:

I really think it's a brave decision to compete in this show and I was interested to read that the UK version recently turned down Kerry Ellis! Not sure who they will pair him up with in the first elimination round or even when it will be, but I wish him all the luck.

FozzieMK
Spread Your Wings

Postby Julesnkev » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:00 pm

FozzieMK wrote: I was interested to read that the UK version recently turned down Kerry Ellis!

Lol, that might explain Brian Mays little rant aimed at 'The Voice' on his soapbox recently

Julesnkev
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:06 am

This was Tony's performance last night against Justin Hopkins. Honestly this is why I hate the "Battle Rounds" as these two were the best performers the whole night and yet one had to go home...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Tony doing Tears For Fears' Everybody Wants To Rule The World.

Good performance - I just wasn't enamored with the song selection - it's not a song that is much of a showcase and it might hurt him...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to We Will Rock You