WWRY 2013 - Tour Reviews, Experiences & Feelings.

All about the phenomenal stage show based on the music of Queen.

WWRY 2013 - Tour Reviews, Experiences & Feelings.

Postby Pestopasta » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:19 am

I saw the show yesterday here in Finland.
For me it was the first time that I witnessed the show and I was positively surprised!
The first thing that popped in to my head during the show was that why the hell the bands nowadays don't
try to be more versatile and explore new areas with different sounds?
Compared to Queen's music performed live, almost majority of the bands today seem to be performing one song only.
Well the parallels with my ranting and the story in the musical are quite obvious. :D
But anyway, the songs themselves translated perfectly to the musical medium and , for me, it breathed new life to them because of my repeated viewings of the Queen's 80's "Hard-rock" setlist gigs (The Magic tour), the songs had been
a bit weared down in my mind.
That's why I too am waiting for the 70's era live on dvd, because my only experience of Queen's live thing is starting from Montreal and onwards.
The cast were really good, especially the guy who played the whacky Shaqileo. :D

There were moments in the songs where you realised that you are listening a trained professional doing his thing
and singing his/hers heart out and still can't get to the heights or capture the gold that Freddie did, But it still rocked.
It just shows more how unique Freddie was as a singer. :)

But yeah the british humor worked and the songs were great and the story was camp enough for Queen!
More of this!

It would be great to hear renditions of the more unknown material translated in to this spectacle thing.
But one can always dream. :)

And it would be great to see reviews from this tour, to be posted here from different publications and your opinions as well!
I try and find reviews from these finnish shows, if they are written in english.
There were couple of May/Taylor/Elton interviews that they had given on the eve of this tour, but they are all in finnish, so maybe they are from a press meeting where the english reporters were also present?
They talked about the birth of the musical and Elton talked about the accusations of him selling out.
Also they talked about the Freddie musical that had been written before Elton came onboard and said that it was really sad, depressing and tragic story and they thought that it's just not Queen.
And the first story covered AIDS, death and the last years of Freddie.
And they wanted a writer who understands the 'british way of life' :D
And the first version of the musical was "too USA". :D

Pestopasta
Spread Your Wings

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Re: WWRY 2013 - Tour Reviews, Experiences & Feelings.

Postby slightlymad1970 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks for your views on the start of the WWRY Arena Tour, i'm still undecided on wether to buy tickets for this show when it arrives in the UK so will read any reviews with interest. What was the crowd like in Finland?, have the shows sold out? and was the crowd reaction favourable?

slightlymad1970
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pestopasta » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:54 pm

The arena was sold out on the earlier performance, so they probably did really well on all of the nights that they performed. And the event felt more of a rock concert than a musical, 'cause after every song people cheered and screamed and at the end of the show people were up dancing and rocking out, so maybe this is a normal reaction in Wwry-happenings? :) And it was a special sight to behold, 'cause usually the crowds in Finland tend to be little reserved and a bit stiff. :D And they had changed couple of lines or jokes in the musical to suit more to the area that they played. For example they had changed a certain department store name to a finnish store that we have here, so people would get the joke better. So maybe they localize the shows to every country that they go?

Pestopasta
Spread Your Wings

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:53 pm

From the Capital FM Arena facebook page:

We can confirm that LEGENDARY Brian May will perform in the encore of tonight's We Will Rock You show!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=519772044731556&set=a.188827661159331.37675.163490443693053&type=1&theater
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby bigV » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:07 pm

FreddiesShootingStar wrote:From the Capital FM Arena facebook page:

We can confirm that LEGENDARY Brian May will perform in the encore of tonight's We Will Rock You show!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=519772044731556&set=a.188827661159331.37675.163490443693053&type=1&theater

Is that opening night or closing night?

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:58 am

bigV wrote:
FreddiesShootingStar wrote:From the Capital FM Arena facebook page:

Is that opening night or closing night?

V.

I've no idea, my post was about Brian playing in the encore at the show on March 27th.
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Return to We Will Rock You