America's Not Buying We Will Rock You

All about the phenomenal stage show based on the music of Queen.

Re: America's Not Buying We Will Rock You

Postby fairydandy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:03 pm

QueenUSA wrote:
Well, as an American, I can assure you that it is a tough slog to get anybody to attend anything Queen-related. They just aren't that BIG over here.

Did I say otherwise?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby QueenUSA » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:35 pm

fairydandy wrote:
QueenUSA wrote:
Well, as an American, I can assure you that it is a tough slog to get anybody to attend anything Queen-related. They just aren't that BIG over here.

Did I say otherwise?

@fairydandy

Sorry, I was responding to USQueenfan's rationale that it failed in Vegas because it's length was cut short. I *meant* to directly respond to him/her...I accidentally clicked the quote button from your response.

QueenUSA
We Will Rock You

Postby Billyboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:47 am

slightlymad1970 wrote:It will be interesting to see how successful WWRY will be in America, but at this present moment in time it doesn't seem to be selling to well. The opening night of the tour seemed well received and was reported on quite favourably but unfortunately this hasn't had to positive affect on advanced ticket sales. The beauty of Theatre productions like this is with a little research and because you are able to purchase the exact seat you want it's quite easy to see if the shows are selling well or not.
For example not a single show (Except for maybe the very first show) has come close to a sell out, looking in detail at the shows in Tennessee at the Performing Arts Centre, of possible ticket sales of 19,776 only 10,541 have so far been sold with only a couple of weeks to go until show time.
Sounds like the show needs a big break similar to the London production (Hyde Park, Party At The Palace, Parkinson) to take sales up another level, hope something happens as it would be so sad if the show fails in America :-(

You make a lot of good points. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of awareness in the US about the musical. Queen's performance in Vegas didn't really tie in to the musical and since it hasn't played Broadway it hasn't been featured at the Tony Awards or even during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade or been on any of the national talk shows. Now that the premiere has passed I don't see how else they can get any national news coverage.

As far as sales go most of the Performing Arts Centers it is playing in have it as part of a "Broadway Series" which have subscribers who buy season tickets to all of the shows in the series (usually 5 or 6 shows total). I wonder how many of those ticket holders don't even know what WWRY is? At the Tennessee PAC it is in the same "season" as Jersey Boys, Ghost, Sister Act, Million Dollar Quartet and War Horse. A lot of those sales you quoted were probably to subscribers. (I checked the numbers and they've now sold 11,775 tickets, so that's another 1,200 tickets since your post. Not much time left since the shows are next week!)

I would imagine they've crunched the numbers and know what they need to sell to be successful financially. But I want this tour to succeed on all levels and I want them to end up on Broadway. A few sellouts here and there would help make that happen.
I was told a million times
The show must go on

Billyboy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Billyboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:54 am

OMG! I just checked the WWRY site to see where they are this week and I noticed they have added a couple of cities: They're coming to Kansas City in June! That's fantastic. I can definitely take my boys to see it now. (Prior to this the closest they were coming to me was to St. Louis in March.) And it's in a beautiful outdoor theatre so we'll get to see the show under the stars. I'm so excited!
I was told a million times
The show must go on

Billyboy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frodi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:09 pm

I got my tickets for Dallas when they went on presale a few weeks back and when trying to choose seats online, it sure seemed like they had sold quite a bit for the weekend shows here. I am sure a lot are season ticket holders but I had a hard time finding a block of 4 seats together that weren't either in the very back or in the most expensive seats.

I am excited to go and take my boys. :cool:

Frodi
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenUSA » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:39 pm

Frodi wrote:I got my tickets for Dallas when they went on presale a few weeks back and when trying to choose seats online, it sure seemed like they had sold quite a bit for the weekend shows here. I am sure a lot are season ticket holders but I had a hard time finding a block of 4 seats together that weren't either in the very back or in the most expensive seats.

I am excited to go and take my boys. :cool:

Although this is only anecdotal, it still is promising info...maybe it's not flopping as hard as we feared.

QueenUSA
We Will Rock You

Postby Fizzle » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:14 am

They've just sold two more tickets, I'll be seeing them April 23rd in Morgantown!! :woot: It'll be my first time seeing it, and my seats are GREAT! :onfire: :onfire:

I can't wait!

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Wannabee pseudo Tolkien-esque

Postby icy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:27 am

Fizzle wrote:They've just sold two more tickets, I'll be seeing them April 23rd in Morgantown!! :woot: It'll be my first time seeing it, and my seats are GREAT! :onfire: :onfire:

I can't wait!

Happy for you :D I hope you enjoy!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Fizzle » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:29 am

Since I was able to get such great seats when the tickets have been on sale so long, I wonder how many have sold? I was worried they'd be sold out by now. I guess it's not surprising it's not in high demand in Morgantown WV, but I'm shocked I got row b, center stage seats when I did. :shock: I know there are Queen and musical theater fans in West Virginia! The Columbus Ohio show would've been way closer for me but I couldn't get tickets in time.

I hope people turn up for it, I want the tour to do well & I would love to see WWRY on Broadway.

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frodi » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:56 pm

I won tickets to tonight's opening show in Dallas in a Twitter contest. Will be curious to see how many seats are empty tonight. I am going again on Sunday afternoon and taking my kids but we are in the nosebleed seats for that performance. Can't wait.

Frodi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frodi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:02 pm

The show I saw on Tuesday was amazing. Ruby Lewis who is playing Scaramouche was incredible. They had a good crowd, but not a sellout. Crowd was really into the show thought and seemed to love it. Even my husband loved it and I wasn't sure he would. We are going back Sunday with the boys and I am certain my kids will LOVE it.

Frodi
Spread Your Wings

Postby magicshoes » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:32 pm

I have tickets to see this in May and I can't wait!
My Soul is painted like the wings of butterflies

magicshoes
The Show Must Go On

Postby Erin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:19 pm

I bought tickets for Charlotte last night. Looks like it was selling fairly well, not great..

Erin
The Show Must Go On

Postby ILoveFatBotGirls » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:02 pm

Just saw WWRY this past week. Great show. :) Hope it's successful enough to continue to return.
"I'll sing until my throat is like a vulture's crotch." - Freddie

ILoveFatBotGirls
Spread Your Wings

Postby Fizzle » Fri May 02, 2014 12:13 am

I was absolutely blown away by the show!!! Very impressed. & It was a good turnout. People are buying WWRY. :P
Last edited by Fizzle on Fri May 02, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to We Will Rock You