Rumours of WWRY Closing in London at end of May?

All about the phenomenal stage show based on the music of Queen.

Re: Rumours of WWRY Closing in London at end of May?

Postby M&M » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:34 am

BitterTears wrote:I actually like the idea of the new Tottenham Court station having it

Me, too.

I also like the idea of just leaving it there because it was the site of his last live performance. (I remember reading an interview a long time ago with the musical director who said he and a few of the cast members truly believe Freddie haunted the place!)

M&M
We Will Rock You

Postby Teo_torriate04 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:51 pm

How about locating it along Wembley Way or even outside the stadium. Wembley has become much more than a football stadium now and our Fred could claim to have had more than a little to do with that.

Teo_torriate04
Spread Your Wings

Postby M&M » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:15 am

This was just written at Radiotimes.com

The giant statue of Freddie Mercury from We Will Rock You is now in Roger Taylor’s garden
Ben Elton claims the former Queen drummer "nicked it" - and that guitarist Brian May isn’t happy

For 12 years it was the thrusting symbol of London, but the West End’s giant golden statue of Freddie Mercury bowed out when We Will Rock You closed earlier this year. Now Ben Elton, writer of the Queen musical, has revealed Freddie’s new home.

Speaking to Radio Times, Elton was asked whether he had kept the immense pop prince. “I wouldn’t want it,” he explained. “I admire and revere Freddie’s memory but I never knew him.” So where is giant Fred? “It’s in Roger Taylor’s garden, which I believe Brian May is not happy with.”

We Will Rock You opened at the Dominion Theatre in May 2002. Set to the music of Queen, it inspired many similar ‘jukebox musicals’. However it outlasted all imitators, with the statue of Mr Mercury only leaving his perch this May. The show’s final performance featured both of Mercury’s former bandmates, but Elton outlined the grim fandango that soon took place over his statue: “Roger nicked it, literally. He hired a truck and just took it. Phil McIntyre [whose company co-produced the show] was up getting it off the roof and Roger said, 'Drive it to my place.' I think Brian was away. So, Roger stole Freddie from Brian.”

Roger has always said that Freddie was his best friend - I'm glad he got it instead of Brian. ;-)

M&M
We Will Rock You

Previous

Return to We Will Rock You