WWRYII

All about the phenomenal stage show based on the music of Queen.

WWRYII

Postby M&M » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:35 pm

From Brian's Soapbox:

YES !!

Yes, the news is leakily out there. We did it ! We workshopped the SEEK !! WWRY II - TSMGO !!!

To great acclaim in a tiny room in Belsize Park …

After just 2 weeks insanely intense 24/7 work.

The seed is sown !

My thanks to all for the passion that everyone put in … it was a wonderful ride.

I was very proud of this compact but very powerful team.

Onwards !

Bri

M&M
We Will Rock You

Re: WWRYII

Postby fairydandy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Great news! :)

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby EDWOOD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:33 am

Great. Another excuse to delay the new album and the anthologies! :lol:

EDWOOD
We Will Rock You

Postby ILoveFatBotGirls » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:07 pm

I wonder how it will work? Would there be much overlap of songs from the first one? If it's a set of new songs, you'd be getting into deep cut territory.
"I'll sing until my throat is like a vulture's crotch." - Freddie

ILoveFatBotGirls
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:07 pm

ILoveFatBotGirls wrote:I wonder how it will work? Would there be much overlap of songs from the first one? If it's a set of new songs, you'd be getting into deep cut territory.

Deep cuts, really? Queen have had some 46 or so hit singles and they used what was it, 24 on the first musical. Ok, some of the tracks that are left aren't 'that' good, but I was thinking today how great would it be to hear Bijou and other little gems included (pun intended).

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby ILoveFatBotGirls » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:02 am

fairydandy wrote:
ILoveFatBotGirls wrote:I wonder how it will work? Would there be much overlap of songs from the first one? If it's a set of new songs, you'd be getting into deep cut territory.

Deep cuts, really? Queen have had some 46 or so hit singles and they used what was it, 24 on the first musical. Ok, some of the tracks that are left aren't 'that' good, but I was thinking today how great would it be to hear Bijou and other little gems included (pun intended).

That's a fair statement. I had felt they used "the big hits" already. Is there enough lesser hits(or deep cuts) to be able to pull off a cohesive storyline again? I don't see a problem for the Queenfan going to the shows, since queenfans are probably the ones making it the success that it is. I was thinking casually, would a 2nd musical be as interesting? Considering the "man on the street" probably doesn't know more than a handful of songs that were potentially already used?
"I'll sing until my throat is like a vulture's crotch." - Freddie

ILoveFatBotGirls
Spread Your Wings

Postby parchedpeas » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:47 pm

Duno. Mayeb they're going to do something more ambitious and creative than just threading a rubbish plot around a Greatest Hits album.

I expect to see Too Much Love Will Kill You in there. That kind of thing. And probably Driven By You. And bits of the Starfleet project. Cos, you know, Brian May was Queen and all that.

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:05 pm

ILoveFatBotGirls wrote:
That's a fair statement. I had felt they used "the big hits" already. Is there enough lesser hits(or deep cuts) to be able to pull off a cohesive storyline again? I don't see a problem for the Queenfan going to the shows, since queenfans are probably the ones making it the success that it is. I was thinking casually, would a 2nd musical be as interesting? Considering the "man on the street" probably doesn't know more than a handful of songs that were potentially already used?

Well, yes the big hits have been used, but there are plenty more. The only thing I have a reservation about is the big finale, because if it's going to be The Show Must Go On, then it really wouldn't be worth waiting for I don't think. I like the track, but I don't love it. I love DSMN though, it's just pure good-time fun and very, very uplifting. Come to think of it, Mustapha should be in somewhere too.

I can't help wondering if the Dominion would take a gamble on the sequel?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby M&M » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:14 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Well, yes the big hits have been used, but there are plenty more. The only thing I have a reservation about is the big finale, because if it's going to be The Show Must Go On, then it really wouldn't be worth waiting for I don't think. I like the track, but I don't love it. I love DSMN though, it's just pure good-time fun and very, very uplifting. Come to think of it, Mustapha should be in somewhere too.

I can't help wondering if the Dominion would take a gamble on the sequel?

Without knowing the storyline, it's difficult to say. But when I read your post, I immediately thought Was It All Worth It as the end song…..and with the vocals of Freddie (not the cast) at end when he say/screams, "Yes, it was a worthwhile experience. It was worth it". I think it has the potential of being a "goose bump" moment with the right storyline, of course.

M&M
We Will Rock You

Postby fairydandy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:17 pm

M&M wrote:
Without knowing the storyline, it's difficult to say. But when I read your post, I immediately thought Was It All Worth It as the end song…..and with the vocals of Freddie (not the cast) at end when he say/screams, "Yes, it was a worthwhile experience. It was worth it". I think it has the potential of being a "goose bump" moment with the right storyline, of course.

Hmm, not commercial enough for the tourist market/casual fan perhaps?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby M&M » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:41 pm

fairydandy wrote:
M&M wrote:

Hmm, not commercial enough for the tourist market/casual fan perhaps?

If the rest of the songs were heavy hitters, then I think there's some room for some non hits, no? I wonder if it matters if the audience doesn't recognize the song because most would recognize Freddie's actual vocal - and personally, I think it's a very strong vocal so it could provide an emotional punch for the ending. Again, I realize it would it only work with a certain story line.

M&M
We Will Rock You

Postby soxtalon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 am

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were some repeats and they ended with wwry/watc again...with a bo rhapsody encore. If there is enough differene in the story and other song selection it wouldn't be bad to have a few repeats

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 am

On one hand, it seems just...wrong not to end with WWRY and WATC but can't just do the same again...can they?

I'm thinking perhaps they could OPEN the new show with WWRY as sort of a nod to the first show and it's also a decent song to get the crowd going (although perhaps a little early for such a crowd participative number...always felt like they went in too early with Ga Ga in the first show).

I dunno, the song choice is a little tricky. You can easily go through the Platinum Collection and skim off the songs that weren't (or barely,,,like Don't Stop Me Now) used in the first show and throw in the big solo hits and that's still a pretty commercial list but there's no doubt the big hitters were all used during the first show.

Re the Dominion taking a gamble on WWRY2. i know these decisions have to be made with a business head on but surely WWRY has earned a risk being taken on it's sequel.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby WeeMann » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:04 am

BitterTears wrote:Re the Dominion taking a gamble on WWRY2. i know these decisions have to be made with a business head on but surely WWRY has earned a risk being taken on it's sequel.

I think it's less about whether the Dominion want the show and more about what goes in after WWRY finishes. If it's a big hitter, it could stay for a while.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby icy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:22 am

I really hope Bohemian Rhapsody is going to be kept.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Next

Return to We Will Rock You