It’s been 10 years!

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
Nicki

It’s been 10 years!

Post by Nicki »

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of Brian and Roger‘s first performance with Adam!

They invited him to be their singer for the MTV European Music Award in Belfast. Everything was top secret and from what I‘ve read, some fans expected them to have Lady Gaga as their singer for that night. But it was Adam, and that hasn’t changed for the next 10 years!

Today I‘m wondering, what Queen might have done, had they not played with Adam. Would they be out there touring with another singer? Or maybe they would have tried different singers over the years? Or would there be no Queen shows at all?

Well, I‘m definitely happy the way it is, because I was able to go to a Queen concert (or the next best thing) and experience that music live. And by that Queen introduced me to Adam Lambert, whom I became a fan of. Win-win-win for me!!

What about you?

Nicki

Re: It’s been 10 years!

Post by Nicki »

The performance (The Show Must Go On, We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions)

Queen Close MTV EMA Show with Adam Lambert
Link: https://www.queenonline.com/news/queen- ... er=11-2011

MTV EMA Awards: Queen Presented With Global Icon Award, Welcome American Idol Winner Adam Lambert For Final Medley
Link: https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/11/ ... 79234.html

montavilla

Post by montavilla »

I was already an Adam fan. I remember Adam tweeting his fans a heads-up to watch the show. I figured that there'd be a tribute with a lot of different singers (including Gaga), and he'd be onstage with them -- and maybe even get a solo line!

So, when he started singing, I was shocked and delighted. No introduction, not even a light, just Adam's voice for the first bit. And then nobody else came on. Lady Gaga didn't step out, or Katy Perry, or any other of the dozens of more famous singers who claimed that Queen was their favorite band in the world. It was just Adam for the whole eleven minutes up there with Brian and Roger. It was thrilling.

But, I also wondered... why that haircut? It's really one of the worst ones he's ever worn. Ah, well...

Ray

Post by Ray »

For me QAL was also the only option to get something somehow close to a Queen live concert. I knew about QAL for a few years, but wasn't really interested in it. I just ignored it. Then they played 2017 in Munich and I started to think it would be great to at least see Brian and Roger live once. I finally went and had a wonderful evening. Seeing the two was awesome and just extremely special for me. I was impressed by Adam's singing as well and understood why they chose him to continue with. Went to Berlin in 2018 as well and have a ticket for Munich next year (hopefully).

I'm glad I gave it a try, wouldn't want to miss those shows in retrospect. I'm glad I still got those chances, it's not the same as seeing Queen of course, but it's a part of it.

About what they'd do without Adam? Well, if it's true what Brian said they'd do no touring since they didn't intend to find another singer. But who knows what would have happened if Adam wasn't on that TV show

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

how time flies....

16 years since QPR started, and 13 since it ended. I though that was it.

hated the fact that they carried on with the Queen moniker with yet another singer. I would have been against the idea regardless, but adding a guy from a tv show which their then last single made fun of? adding insult to injury.
I still don't think al can sing rock music to save his life, and I hate the fact that he too often comes across as Freddie-light....

Still, I'm happy for BM and RT, even though I wish they had the courage to leave the Queen name alone, go out as May&Taylor and do theatres performing all the deep cuts 3-5000 ticket holders a night want to see and hear

agkelly

Post by agkelly »

Wow, those 10yrs, in some ways, seems to have gone by FAST. I remember watching that MTV EMA show on tv and remember being impressed by Adam and how well he seemed to gel with Brian and Roger. I mainly remember seeing Brian look so happy and comfortable though. I enjoyed the performance and rewatched it multiple times.

Then they announced London 2012 gigs, and although a little hesitant about the choice of Adam, as a 31yr old Aussie who didn't get to experience Queen or Q+PR, I figured this was my only opportunity of experiencing Brian and Roger live, so off I went. I walked out after that first concert and understood why they went with Adam. He did things I preferred he didn't do, but I got it. I'd finally seen 'Queen' (in any form) live. I never actually believed I ever would, so it was a dream come true for me.

I'm happy to say I've seen them a total of either 26 or 27 times now (I need to work it out exactly!) in 4 different countries and 10 different cities, and each time is an absolute blessing, because once was more than I ever expected, so I never take them for granted.

I still don't have any interest in Adam as a solo artist, but I very much appreciate what he brings to the Queen universe, and I do believe that if it weren't for him, I'd have never seen 'Queen' live even once.

YAFF

Post by YAFF »

agkelly wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:33 pm Wow, those 10yrs, in some ways, seems to have gone by FAST. I remember watching that MTV EMA show on tv and remember being impressed by Adam and how well he seemed to gel with Brian and Roger. I mainly remember seeing Brian look so happy and comfortable though. I enjoyed the performance and rewatched it multiple times.

Then they announced London 2012 gigs, and although a little hesitant about the choice of Adam, as a 31yr old Aussie who didn't get to experience Queen or Q+PR, I figured this was my only opportunity of experiencing Brian and Roger live, so off I went. I walked out after that first concert and understood why they went with Adam. He did things I preferred he didn't do, but I got it. I'd finally seen 'Queen' (in any form) live. I never actually believed I ever would, so it was a dream come true for me.

I'm happy to say I've seen them a total of either 26 or 27 times now (I need to work it out exactly!) in 4 different countries and 10 different cities, and each time is an absolute blessing, because once was more than I ever expected, so I never take them for granted.

I still don't have any interest in Adam as a solo artist, but I very much appreciate what he brings to the Queen universe, and I do believe that if it weren't for him, I'd have never seen 'Queen' live even once.
Pssst: You haven't seen Queen even once.

Anyway, you have a great attitude. Glad you enjoy it.