Queen DVD-Audio discs

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Queen DVD-Audio discs

Postby Cliff » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 am

I bought the only 2 they released (ANATO & The Game) years ago - does anyone know why they stopped at that?

They sounded great on my home cinema system but I'd not listened to them for years until recently as my new company car has a B&O surround sound system.

It plays DVD's as well so I can listen to the tracks on GVH1&2 (and the live DVD's) in surround but it would be great if the DVD-A range were to be ressurected to be able to hear all the album tracks in SS.

Would anyone else like to see more DVD-A?

Cliff
Spread Your Wings

Re: Queen DVD-Audio discs

Postby Johan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Without a single doubt, yes!!
There must be something you can say..?

Johan
Spread Your Wings

Postby WOLFSHEAD » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Yes too right.

WOLFSHEAD
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:34 am

They should have done a Genesis, and made the second disc of the two disc editions of the remasters a surround mix DVD.

I think the official line is "No-one's bothered about surround mixes, are they?" it's the same as "No-one's bothered about coloured vinyls or picture discs, are they?" when the vinyls got reissued a couple of years back.

Of course no-one's bothered. Made In Heaven on cream vinyl goes for about forty quid on e-bay, the black reissue about £20. Genuine Jazz picture disc - £50 plus, black vinyl original -about a fiver. A Kind Of Magic on orange vinyl - £150, black vinyl - about £3. I really can't understand the marketing logic of their advisors sometimes. OK, I'll concede the sound quality on CVs and pic discs is usually a bit poor, but at least the things ARE collectable.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby eiricd » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:45 am

it's a crying shame.

When I put on ANATO or TG, I ALWAYS go for the dvd audio versions. The sound IMMENSE.
The complex work of Queen is perfect for a surround mix.
I also prefer the GVH DTS versions of the songs on there

now with blu ray, the could have been made even better with HD surround

what a pity more and more people are satisfied with listening to an ipod with shitty headphones, or an iphone through a mediocre docking station

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby drmurph » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:05 am

I've got both discs too and agree they sound superb. As far as I'm led to understand Queen do not have all the multitracks to enable all albums to be done, though if they could do the earlier albums with the more complex arrangements that would be amazing.

drmurph
Spread Your Wings

Postby GinjaNinja » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:08 pm

As of 2003 they were missing the multitracks for 10 songs, including Sheer Heart Attack, All Dead All Dead, Spread Your Wings and Sleeping On The Sidewalk. There's always the possibility that they might have tracked them down since then, or have work-in-progress/alternative copies like they did for Coming Soon.

Worst comes to the worst, they could always upmix the stereo master like they did with Spread Your Wings on Greatest Video Hits and on the Wembley Stadium DVDs.
Property Of Queen Productions...

GinjaNinja
Spread Your Wings

The Coppery One...

Postby Kes » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:42 pm

They did their two biggest selling albums (behind Made In Heaven) and based on the sales of those, didn't think there was a big enough market for the rest, it's that simple.

If you can kind of force the market like Genesis did with their's, so that a surround mix is included with the definite issue, you get back most of the money invested in the studio time needed to do the mixes. Otherwise, you do a Pink Floyd and make a smaller percentage of your market, pay a bigger offset to get the surround mixes, or you simply don't bother with them at all. Queen chose the third option.

I believe a quad mix of the first album was done when they originally mixed it, so that one's been sat around nearly forty years, gathering dust.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby GinjaNinja » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Kes wrote:I believe a quad mix of the first album was done when they originally mixed it, so that one's been sat around nearly forty years, gathering dust.

I'd love to listen to that! Never heard about it before, thanks for telling :)
Property Of Queen Productions...

GinjaNinja
Spread Your Wings

The Coppery One...

Postby Kes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:01 am

Back in 73, quite a few albums were mixed in quad. A niche format was quadrophonic amplifiers which took an advanced stereo signal on a vinyl record which had been specially mixed for the process, and enhanced it into quad. It wasn't four designated signals, like we'd have today, but it was still impressive for the day.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraph ... #section_1
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Champs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:24 pm

A shame they stopped doing these. They had a great opportunity last year to mass market such projects, alas all we got was the 'deluxe' CD's...which lets face it, all went down like Marmite.
YES INDEED!

Champs
We Will Rock You

Grumbling

Postby Simon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:07 pm

It feels so good that every once in a while someone asks this question. When they started doing those 5.1 Remixes I just got interested in that as well and bought a 5.1 system just for the Night at the Opera... I remember how involved Brian was in making these... he also was so proud when they did a complete real 5.1 mix of God Save the Queen and played it for the first time in Cologne... it didn't really sound that different in the stadium of course, but he was so proud... I also remember that he asked for help finding the master tapes. Too bad nothing evolved after that.
As Kes said, the Genesis way of doing this would have been my favourite way too. And I think it's quite odd to think that Genesis has more potential fans to buy old things again than Queen. OK, Collins was unhealthily succesful in the 80ies, but the first Genesis era was hardly a best-selling phenomenon and would certainly put the occasional Groovy Kind of Love-listener off.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
The Show Must Go On

Postby Cliff » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies and answers.

So unfortunately I'm assuming thats it for DVD-A and 5.1 in general apart from live DVD's.

Cliff
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Simon wrote:OK, Collins was unhealthily succesful in the 80ies, but the first Genesis era was hardly a best-selling phenomenon and would certainly put the occasional Groovy Kind of Love-listener off.

As an aside, the original of that song was sung by one of my most favourite singers EVER!

Eric Stewart who went onto be one of the four original members of 10cc, only he was in a group called The Mindbenders back then.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Return to Killer Queen