The Beatles - Get Back

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Ray

Re: The Beatles - Get Back

Post by Ray »

Yeah, the rights are often annoying when it comes to releases unfortunately. That might in fact be the problem here...you'd think though it could be somehow be done after 50 years and with a band that popular. But I guess I expect too much rational thinking from business men...the guys behind those rights usually.

Let's be happy we get that "Get Back" documentary which looks really promising from that 5 min. clip. Hopefully it can be released this year.

At least I have still a few decades time to wait for some great concert releases to come out, including the still missing Queen ones. ;)

Kes

Post by Kes »

Just remembered that pretty much from the time they got a recording contract, to around Paperback Writer, there was a compere who often introduced them on TV shows, and they're quitd often seen with him.

The name is now sort of socially distasteful, and I wouldn't blame them from trying to distance their fame from him.

Trashcat

Post by Trashcat »

I know the forum is dead and I'm shouting into the void, but what did anybody think?

Finally got round to watching it this weekend (remember, you can only watch Get Back for the first time once, so do it with someone you love). I was initially ambivalent about finding out it was coming out on Disney+ rather than as a feature film - yes to more content, but still annoyed that they'd taken away the opporunity to watch a Beatles doc on the big screen.

Still. Will be watching it all again over Xmas at least once, it was everything I hoped for and then som, and TBH I would've been happy to watch the 50-odd hours of footage unedited. Let It Be is not a Beatles album I tend to reach for, but I'm listening to it a lot right now.

Highlights:
- Every time Billy Preston appeared on screen
- It's really nice to see John and Yoko so in love
- Jams jams jams jams jams. In particular, Something <3
- Paul and John's reaction to the police
- Mal Evans
- The rooftop, goes without saying I guess
- Ringo's fantastic collection of shirts (and that one day he and Heather turned up in the same outfit)

Slight downers:
- The Long and Winding Road piano version, before they put strings all over it, is completely beautiful
- Similarly, I don't like the album version of For You Blue as much any more because all I can hear is that it's too fast and the drums are too loud
- Michael Lindsay-Hogg
- That dickhead who complained about the noise interrupting local business

And for some on point piss taking, I always recommend Peter Serafinowicz (all of Ringo Remembers is great, but this one is the best):

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

I would like to watch this but do not subscribe to Disney. Hopefully it will get a Blu Ray release one day.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Wonderful documentary.

The one thing that stands out for me is the look on Paul's face as they first suggest the rooftop.

It's also clear they weren't arguing as much as we were led to believe. I know stuff was obviously left out, but what I see is 4 close friends enjoying each others company.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It's 8 hours, so if they do a physical release, it's either a big set, or edited.

I could have had Disney when I set my Sky up, but at the time, all they were putting on was endless repeats of Frozen, and The Simpson. Didn't really see much point back then.

Ray

Post by Ray »

I wish the Queen 77 documentary would have been as extensive as this, not just an hour. It's interesting to see how many documentaries there are about the Beatles, yet no official live DVD. oO How is it possible that concerts like Shea Stadium etc. were never released?? The footage in "Eight Days A Week" looked amazing. Is the Rooftop concert in this new documentary in full now finally?

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

It is I think, including cutting to the people at ground level and the police coming in.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Yes, it's complete, as far as I can tell. We see them climbing out onto the roof, we see every song that they're known to have played up there, and we see them leave.

The only annoyance for me was the occasional caption "this performance appears on the album" - it feels both unnecessary and self-congratulatory.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Kes wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:40 pmNo-one can officially release a Beatles concert, because the artists via their publishers own the rights to the music. Somebody else might own the images, and in the case of The Beatles, as it's The Beatles, might want a bigger cut than either The Beatles, or their publishers are willing to give them.
That kinda thing happens a lot.

There's a show Thin Lizzy did on the steps of the Sydney Opera House, and it's the only professionally-recorded show they have with Gary Moore on guitar. Fans have been after that for years, but the Aussie fellow who owns the rights wants what is by all accounts an exorbitant fee to allow its release, and the band aren't willing to pay, presumably because it would cost them more than they'd make back by putting it out.