Adam Lambert

Other music, TV, films and general interest
the milkman

Re: Adam Lambert

Post by the milkman »

I have to admit that Holding Out For A Hero makes me wonder if Adam really handpicked these songs himself. He was two when it was released and it wasn’t a big hit in the US. It was a big hit in the UK and his label is based in the UK. Makes me wonder how he knew this song and not Dragon Attack by one of his favorite bands.

Adam says a lot of things that make me wonder if he’s telling the whole truth.

The song is lacking a lot of the energy that the original had.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

The song wasn’t a hit in the US? :shock:
I was 4, when it was released and I know and love it. It’s also right up Adam’s alley.

The one thing that I have yet to hear directly from Adam is, that he was a huge Queen fan in his youth. I never heard that. His Dad never liked Queen. They only had about 2 Queen LPs at home, which belonged to his Mom, while his Dad as a former radio DJ still owned countless records. Adam became a huge fan of Freddie in his 20s. But I don’t think he dived into Queen‘s back catalogue at the time. He always says, that he had to learn a lot of text before their first QAL concert.

@milkman
You might be interested in this radio interview that Adam did this past week.

He talked about the new album and also the musical. Finally some real news. Apparently the label did also suggest songs for the cover album, so you could be right, that the idea came from them. On the other hand, Adam loves the divas, always had and Bonnie Tyler is so right his alley, that it’s impossible to tell, who suggested that particular song.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

It cracked the top 40 but it wasn’t that big. I love it but I love a lot of Jim Steinman’s songs. Bonnie and Meat Loaf were bigger in Europe than they were over here.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

the milkman wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:00 am It cracked the top 40 but it wasn’t that big. I love it but I love a lot of Jim Steinman’s songs. Bonnie and Meat Loaf were bigger in Europe than they were over here.
My absolute favorite musical „Tanz der Vampire“ (Dance of the Vampires) was written by Jim Steinman and he used some of Bonnie‘s and Meat Loaf‘s hits in it. I love it and have probably seen it 10 times over the past 20 years in different cities now. Nothing beats our vampires. :D
Adam watched the musical in Vienna a couple of years ago. In German. I always thought, he would be interested in that one. A rock opera with vampires!

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

I wouldn't call Bonnie Tyler a diva. Where I am, she's looked at as a couple hit wonder. I've always loved Its A Heartache... I'd put that right up there with my favorites. I didn't like Lambert's longer version of HOFAH either.

I no longer'trust" much of what all says. It still boggles mmy mind he left a record company because they wanted him to do a covers album, he refused...then has spent over a decade mostly singing covers, and now he's doing a covers album...and some people wonder why he's thought and known as a cover singer. Its too bad after Feel Something he didn't or couldn't go down that route, because I feel that was and remains the most open, heartfelt and genuine he's ever been.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

the milkman wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:07 am
midnight sky wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:40 pm Are other artists involved with the show, or is it just a Lambert show?
Of course, a Queen cover. I don't really like the Tyler cover. Dancers were kind of distracting IMO.
I'm wondering if he will do a George Michael cover on the album ...but I hope not really.
He would kill One More Try, that’s another one I was thinking about. His fans would love it but we don’t need it.
I would hate to hear him cover that one. I guess I can say its along the lines of the way you think about him Save Me. Lambert has covered and copied GM too often, even down to the looks at times.
I do know from some of what I have read, his fans are excited about this covers album. At this point, I would have more respect for him with an original album. But I think the sign's of a cover album has been out there for ages now. Its a shame really.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

The other option would have been no music until the musical is ready. I‘m happy to get a filler. That’s what I consider the cover album.

Of maybe it’s just considered a good and somehow easy way to broaden his audiences, especially in the UK, which knows Adam mostly as Queen singer.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Nicki wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:18 am The other option would have been no music until the musical is ready. I‘m happy to get a filler. That’s what I consider the cover album.

Of maybe it’s just considered a good and somehow easy way to broaden his audiences, especially in the UK, which knows Adam mostly as Queen singer.

I would have waited for the musical. At least I think that could be interesting. Covers album...not so much interesting in my books.
He is known and will be known as a cover singer, I don't see that ever changing. Doing covers is the easy and lazy way for him to do things IMO. Judging stupid reality shows is another way. Its almost an unfunny joke at this point.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

In all fairness I’m sure the label had something to do with this covers album. He will have to play their game to get that musical released.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Nicki wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:38 am The song wasn’t a hit in the US? :shock:
I was 4, when it was released and I know and love it. It’s also right up Adam’s alley.

The one thing that I have yet to hear directly from Adam is, that he was a huge Queen fan in his youth. I never heard that. His Dad never liked Queen. They only had about 2 Queen LPs at home, which belonged to his Mom, while his Dad as a former radio DJ still owned countless records. Adam became a huge fan of Freddie in his 20s. But I don’t think he dived into Queen‘s back catalogue at the time. He always says, that he had to learn a lot of text before their first QAL concert.

“I definitely heard songs of theirs around. But the first time I ever really asked, ‘Who is this band?’ was after seeing Wayne’s World. It was so much fun, that scene… I left the movie theater with my father and my little brother (and) I asked my dad, ‘What song was that?” And he said, ‘Oh, that’s Queen.’ And when we got home that night, he showed me some albums that he had of Queen.”

“I’ve always loved Queen,” Lambert says. “When I found out about Queen, and first heard their albums from my dad’s record collection, I was, like:”

So that would make him 10 or 11 when he took an interest in them.

This is how I remember it from back in the day.