A Day At The Races - my least favourite Queen album

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: A Day At The Races - my least favourite Queen album

Postby Felli » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:01 pm

ADATR is inferior to ANATO in every way. Queen peaked with Opera and tried and failed to replicate it with ADATR... I used to really enjoy ADATR but hardly ever listen to it now. I think it is a boring album and has not aged well unlike most other albums.

Felli
Spread Your Wings

Postby Broooklyn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 am

You're nuts!

Fin!
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

Hindsight 9/11 Superman/Hero

Postby Mother Mercury » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:11 pm

These things can be soooo over-analysed, but I do think the songwriting on ADATR is absolutely top notch. Certainly no worse than ANATO or SHA. I can understand if some may think the actual production is a bit too slick and smooth, but they had found their sound and who can blame them for squeezing every drop out out of the studio's possibilities, before the left turn that came a little later down the line.
And 'The Millionaire Waltz' is just utter genius! :-)

Mother Mercury
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:26 am

Mother Mercury wrote:These things can be soooo over-analysed, but I do think the songwriting on ADATR is absolutely top notch. Certainly no worse than ANATO or SHA. I can understand if some may think the actual production is a bit too slick and smooth, but they had found their sound and who can blame them for squeezing every drop out out of the studio's possibilities, before the left turn that came a little later down the line.
And 'The Millionaire Waltz' is just utter genius! :-)

I love this album; it's Queen fully confident (although they had never really lacked confidence!) after the success of ANATO and they just go for it hell for leather. And Millionaire Waltz is simply wonderful: it's as if the success of Bo Rhap had given Freddie free rein to be as free and mad as he liked...never fails to make me smile every time I hear it.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 am

Felli wrote:ADATR is inferior to ANATO in every way. Queen peaked with Opera and tried and failed to replicate it with ADATR... I used to really enjoy ADATR but hardly ever listen to it now. I think it is a boring album and has not aged well unlike most other albums.

I could not disagree more. How anyone can call ADATR 'boring' is beyond me. Similar feel to ANATO? Obviously. But boring? Never.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Action This Day » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:36 pm

I've always felt ADATR was the pinnacle of Queen's overblown sound and slick production - everything before it was leading up to it. After ADATR they probably felt they had to change tact. NOTW and beyond seem much more stripped down.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Action This Day wrote:I've always felt ADATR was the pinnacle of Queen's overblown sound and slick production - everything before it was leading up to it. After ADATR they probably felt they had to change tact. NOTW and beyond seem much more stripped down.

I agree. I think they realised they had gone as far as they could with ADATR and needed a change of tack - NOTW is the polar opposite yet still a very stong album; they made the right call, in my opinon.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Lover Boy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:02 pm

They certainly made the right call, and I guess I wouldn't have it any other way...but if I'm being completely honest I wish we had just one more album like SHA, ANATO, and ADATR. It was my favorite era of the band. Pushing boundaries and creating such beautiful multi-layered arrangements. Songwriting wise, I don't think they ever topped this era (personally).

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Lover Boy wrote:They certainly made the right call, and I guess I wouldn't have it any other way...but if I'm being completely honest I wish we had just one more album like SHA, ANATO, and ADATR. It was my favorite era of the band. Pushing boundaries and creating such beautiful multi-layered arrangements. Songwriting wise, I don't think they ever topped this era (personally).

I hear you. Although they needed to change direction and evolve to become the legendary band they eventually became, one more SHA-style album would have been wonderful (I actually think I prefer SHA to ANATO). I think the hunger was still very evident at this point in their career too - they still had much to prove and seemed like a very close unit.

Trouble with being a fan of Queen is that they set the bar so bloody high it is so hard to find anybody who matches them (bar The Beatles). And once they get their hooks in you there is no turning back. Love the fuckers!

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby bigV » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:47 am

musicalprostitute wrote:Trouble with being a fan of Queen is that they set the bar so bloody high it is so hard to find anybody who matches them (bar The Beatles). And once they get their hooks in you there is no turning back. Love the fuckers!

Indeed. The only other band that ever got under my skin as much as Queen have is Pink Floyd. And they are equally (albeit differently) brilliant.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 pm

bigV wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Trouble with being a fan of Queen is that they set the bar so bloody high it is so hard to find anybody who matches them (bar The Beatles). And once they get their hooks in you there is no turning back. Love the fuckers!

Indeed. The only other band that ever got under my skin as much as Queen have is Pink Floyd. And they are equally (albeit differently) brilliant.

V.

I never quite 'got' Pink Floyd - and, boy, have I tried! They are obviously a talented group, but much of their stuff leaves me a little cold (although I adore Comfortably Numb).

I recently discovered a band called The Avett Brothers (No Hard Feelings is possibly one of the most beautiful and spiritual songs I have ever heard); they are the only band that give me any kind of passionate feeling aside from Queen (and they walk their own path, which I respect).

But, yeah, us Queen fans are a spoilt lot really. We are fortunate that the band we are in love with is just so incredibly talented and left behing a recording legacy so eclectic and untouchable. And then there's Freddie Mercury (a beautiful, other-wordly oddity with such natural passion and talent...and a voice that - once it gets under your skin - bewitches you).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby bigV » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:25 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:But, yeah, us Queen fans are a spoilt lot really. We are fortunate that the band we are in love with is just so incredibly talented and left behing a recording legacy so eclectic and untouchable. And then there's Freddie Mercury (a beautiful, other-wordly oddity with such natural passion and talent...and a voice that - once it gets under your skin - bewitches you).

The sheer variety of musical genres is what keeps me coming back to them. "Alarming lapses of tastes". I could never get bored with Queen because they've tried every conceivable style of music.

I could never get into a band like Scorpions (for example), because they only have two songs: the hard rocker and the power ballad. Queen have done it all - from opera to heavy metal and from jazz to samba...

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby stagnation » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Always loved Side 2 of ADATR. I think it flows really nicely.

Side A however, I just think the "The Millionaire Waltz" just hampers it's flow a little. It's not one of my favourite Queen songs by a long shot. I know it's typical Freddie - but just not the strongest he has written and just goes on a bit. Also probably having two slow songs on the same side doesn't help.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:59 pm

bigV wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:But, yeah, us Queen fans are a spoilt lot really. We are fortunate that the band we are in love with is just so incredibly talented and left behing a recording legacy so eclectic and untouchable. And then there's Freddie Mercury (a beautiful, other-wordly oddity with such natural passion and talent...and a voice that - once it gets under your skin - bewitches you).

The sheer variety of musical genres is what keeps me coming back to them. "Alarming lapses of tastes". I could never get bored with Queen because they've tried every conceivable style of music.

I could never get into a band like Scorpions (for example), because they only have two songs: the hard rocker and the power ballad. Queen have done it all - from opera to heavy metal and from jazz to samba...

V.

Ditto. Their eclecticism created such a vast musical landscape for us all to explore, meaning every mood is catered for, virtually every musical genre is touched apon.

What you state about The Scorpions is exactly how I feel about ACDC; I mean, they are a good old, spit and sawdust, rock 'n' roll band, but just too samey (I feel the same about The Rolling Stones too - although, I am very fond of much of their earlier output).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm

stagnation wrote:Always loved Side 2 of ADATR. I think it flows really nicely.

Side A however, I just think the "The Millionaire Waltz" just hampers it's flow a little. It's not one of my favourite Queen songs by a long shot. I know it's typical Freddie - but just not the strongest he has written and just goes on a bit. Also probably having two slow songs on the same side doesn't help.

See, for me, The Millionaire Waltz is one of those insane, undefinable, unique tracks which I adore Freddie for; and I just think there is so much joy and passion and freedom in this song (and it is SO Freddie), I can't help but get swept along in its majesty.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen