In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
fairydandy

Re: In The News Today...

Post by fairydandy »

Kes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:42 pm
The difference between political parties and football teams, is that with football teams, you might actually like one of them, party politics is about which you least dislike.
See, if WeeMann was treating everyone equally, he would be giving you a lecture about how narrow narrow-minded you are being and how not everyone thinks like that. He won't do it, because he doesn't treat you like you are some sort of a moron, as he does with me.

Then of course there is Inny, she seems to be bullied by just about everyone for giving her opinion on this site. Ok, her opinions and beliefs are off-the-wall sometimes, but she is entitled to them. This place is rotten through to the core sometimes.

Incidentally, I personally don't treat political parties how you described above.

Kes

Post by Kes »

No-one was saying you do.

Funny we celebrate tbe 5th November. Is that the fact that sombody nearly pulled off a masterstroke, or the fact that he failed.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Whoever does the daily briefing today is in for a rough ride. You have to wonder how much power and influence Cummings actually has. The only decent thing for him to do is design like the Scottish one and the professor both did in similar circumstances.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It's a bit strange, we all have different memories of our childhoods.

Mine was having staunch Labour supporting parents, trying to justify how a Labour government were getting shafted by coal workers on strike one month, causing power cuts through coal running out at the power stations, and electricity workers striking the next month, because they were earning less that the coal workers, causing more power cuts.

The thing that even a blind man could see, was thw same unions that powered the Labour party, were the same unions that were crucifying them, and making them unelectable.

Until the poltical system in this country is changed, and parties are funded by the treasurer, and not rich businesses vs trade unions, there will always be the risk of conflict of interest, and forced policy making to appease the people paying the money.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Kes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:45 pm
It's a bit strange, we all have different memories of our childhoods.

Mine was having staunch Labour supporting parents, trying to justify how a Labour government were getting shafted by coal workers on strike one month, causing power cuts through coal running out at the power stations, and electricity workers striking the next month, because they were earning less that the coal workers, causing more power cuts.

The thing that even a blind man could see, was thw same unions that powered the Labour party, were the same unions that were making them unelectable.

Until the poltical system in this country is changed, and parties are funded by the treasurer, and not rich businesses vs trade unions, there will always be the risk of conflict of interest, and forced policy making to appease the people paying the money.
Completely agree with that and maybe that is why the Tories ended up with a large majority. Simply put, people saw Labour as going back to their bad old ways. That and Brexit of course.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Should add that I had an equal dislike of the Tories at that age. Rich people looking after rich people, and helping to make them even richer. Selling off every asset that State owned, not for any personal benefit though, because that's illegal, innit?

Funny how just about every minister in charge of a sell off, was later appointed to said business's board of directors, when they were no longer an MP. Something to do with them "having experience" in that industry... yeah, like fuck.

It was every bit as immoral as Gordon Brown selling off the gold reserves when gold was at it's lowest price in thirty odd years.

It's ALL the working people in this country that keep it going, and despite the fact that there should be one, there's not a party out there that actually represents them all, without stitching up one sector or another.

They're all fucking weasels, or idealists chasing lost causes, it's in the blood.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I do liken it to football teams.

The ones making the most money, buy the best players, making them harder to beat, making them more successful, it's just a vicious circle that can't be broken unless there's a fluke season, like Leicester winning the premiership. A once in a blue moon event.

Politics, like football, isn't a level playing field.

Just my personal opinion. If you're one of the really lucky ones, and a party has somehow ticked ALL your boxes, good for you.

Kes

Post by Kes »

fairydandy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:20 pm

See, if WeeMann was treating everyone equally, he would be giving you a lecture about how narrow narrow-minded you are being and how not everyone thinks like that. He won't do it, because he doesn't treat you like you are some sort of a moron, as he does with me.

Then of course there is Inny, she seems to be bullied by just about everyone for giving her opinion on this site. Ok, her opinions and beliefs are off-the-wall sometimes, but she is entitled to them. This place is rotten through to the core sometimes.
Yeah maybe. We're probably all guilty of something.

I've seen you get into "lock ons" with people over religion, where their opinions and beliefs are not worth a pig's burp, because you don't respect their right to an opinion, in that particular topic.

However I felt about it, the people voted for Brexit. The Labour party did everything they could to derail the result, and keep us still in, but not in name, what's not immoral about that? People voted to leave the instrument of Brussels making our laws, but we'll still let them do that, but without us being at the table. That's not what anybody voted for, but their manifesto said they'd hold another referendum with the choice of that, or staying in completely. Really?

Not having a go, just trying to strike a balance.

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

Kes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:00 pm
Yeah maybe. We're probably all guilty of something.

I've seen you get into "lock ons" with people over religion, where their opinions and beliefs are not worth a pig's burp, because you don't respect their right to an opinion, in that particular topic.

Not having a go, just trying to strike a balance.
I admitted sometime ago on here that I got that wrong, that I accept that religion is a comfort to some and it's not my place to put it down. I rarely comment on religion these days on here despite the fact that I still think it's an idiotic belief.

I post my opinions on here and I don't expect a moderator to attempt a put-down because in his part of the world, things are different. Yeah, I am put out about it, he gets on my nerves almost as much as you do with your attempts at teaching others about this virus, when we all have Google and we all watch the TV.
Last edited by fairydandy on Sat May 23, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

I don't vote Labour these days either.