PUB QUIZ

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Kes

Re: PUB QUIZ

Post by Kes »

This is the particular quote about the song on wiki

This is one of the few Queen songs without Brian May participating at all.

Apparently, the song that Brian was busy on, at the time, was "Good Company". Should be able to get to the wheat from the chaff with that.

lsr

Post by lsr »

Kes wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Apparently, the song that Brian was busy on, at the time, was "Good Company". Should be able to get to the wheat from the chaff with that.

I ruled out Seaside Rendezvous and Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon on the basis that they have guitars, but maybe John played them, or maybe they weren’t guitars (I like music but know next to nothing about it on a technical level). That guitar solo in Seaside Rendezvous is quite...bassy...

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

lsr wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:52 pm
Kes wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:46 pm

I ruled out Seaside Rendezvous and Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon on the basis that they have guitars, but maybe John played them, or maybe they weren’t guitars (I like music but know next to nothing about it on a technical level). That guitar solo in Seaside Rendezvous is quite...bassy...
That solo is all vocals. I think you may have it with Seaside Rendezvous.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Co-incidentally, I listened to the 5.1 mix of ANATO today, and it occured to me, when Seaside Rendezvous came on, that "Oh, I can't hear Brian at all on this song!", and then minutes later, JLP spookily asked this question.

I would have said My Melancholy Blues all day long, prior to today.

I know Brian spent an insane amount of time, doing the Jazz band on his song, and that the other three worked on stuff, while he was busy in another studio. Obviously Seaside Rendezvous was during that time. Otherwise, Brian would have made sure he did "something" on it, like ukelele, or some little figures, or something.

It would have been a pretty good question, if I'd got it right when I asked it the last time. 😂

Sorry, JLP, for misleading you for about six years.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Just an intermediate question, hopefully.

After "Queen" had a record released, what was the first released song featuring three of them, without mentioning the band at all on the label?

lsr

Post by lsr »

Kes wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:59 pm

After "Queen" had a record released, what was the first released song featuring three of them, without mentioning the band at all on the label?
Mott the Hoople?

lsr

Post by lsr »

lsr wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:16 pm
Kes wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Mott the Hoople?

Think the song is called You Nearly Did Me In?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Correct

Ian Hunter - You Nearly Did Me In, from the album All American Alien Boy

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Kes wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:09 pm
Nobody YET.

My Melancholy Blues might have been what I said last time I asked the question, but I'm pretty sure there's an earlier one, when you think about it.
You definitely said Seaside Rendezvous last time as that was the answer I wanted this time.

lsr

Post by lsr »

I’m going to try to think of a Queen question but I’m going to struggle to think of a suitably difficult one