Mona Lisa

Re: PUB QUIZ

Post by Mona Lisa »

Something in relation with EMI?
(Just a random idea!!!)

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Kes wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:00 am Maybe, but that's not what I was looking for.

The situation in question happened between 2011 and 2016, (some reports say 2018) is not current now and probably doesn't apply on the other side of the Atlantic.
Does it have to do with Universal?
( I really should have known the answer to your Celine Dion's question. I would have known if I cheated :lol: )

Kes

Post by Kes »

It has something to do with both EMI, and Universal, but a lot more to do with another music company.

Kes

Post by Kes »

A Convair 880.

Kes

Post by Kes »

A clue: The sequence of events started with a conversation between Michael Jackson, and Paul McCartney.

Kes

Post by Kes »

The longform answer to the question.

The conversation between Jackson and McCartney, put the idea into Michael's head, to get involved in music publishing. Jackson then bought ATV Music, which owned the publishing rights to most of the Lennon-McCartney catalogue.

Later on, Jackson had a cashflow problem, and came to an arrangement with Sony Music Publishing, to split ATV and Mijac (his own publishing company) 50/50, in return for a cash sum, and 50% of Sony's publishing business. Music publishers basically claim all the royalties when a song is used on radio, or used in films and adverts, and then give about 50% of those royalties to the artist, so there's a massive amount of money in it. Streaming is also managed through this medium.

Historically, Queen's music is published through Queen Music Ltd, published by EMI Music Publishing Ltd. When EMI went under in about 2012, as part of the break up of the company, Sony/ATV acquired EMI Music Publishing Ltd. As already mentioned, Michael Jackson had a 50% share in that company, until Sony bought out his shares, after he died.

In America, Queen were published by Ardmore and Beechwood, which so i'm led to believe, was the very first publishing company that EMI ever started.

Consequntly, when the biopic did so well, and Queen were massively more in demand, Sony were rubbing their hands with glee. When Queen music appears in adverts and films, it's the people at Sony, who then, out of courtesy, ask the band if they can be used, or I think that's how it works.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Just one off the top of my head.

Not counting "edits", what Queen track on vinyl, is exclusive to the American market?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Clue: It's on a 7" single, and is a different version to the 7" elsewhere in the world, which in those cases was the version on the album.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Was it the different mix of Staying Power?

Kes

Post by Kes »

No, that was the 12" promo remix. Technically, it's factually correct and ticks the boxes in the confines of the original question, though.

The one I'm after was on a commercial 7". Saying that, it was also on the 12", and then later an exclusively obtainable CD.