PUB QUIZ

Other music, TV, films and general interest
MusicalProstitute

Re: PUB QUIZ

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Kes wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:00 pm The Killers?

I know Mr Brightside was in the charts for eons, don't think it made #1 in the "normal charts though.
Good call.

Kes

Post by Kes »

On checking, it only just made the top 10 in the regular charts, but was a #1 in the indie charts, and was a debut single, and spent over 200 weeks on chart. So, it's certainly in the running.

Not their best song though, When You Were Young is just pure genius.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Kes wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:06 pm On checking, it only just made the top 10 in the regular charts, but was a #1 in the indie charts, and was a debut single, and spent over 200 weeks on chart. So, it's certainly in the running.

Mr Bright side is correct.

Kes

Post by Kes »

200 weeks on the singles chart. Fuck a duck. That four years!

MusicalProstitute

Kes wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:06 pm On checking, it only just made the top 10 in the regular charts, but was a #1 in the indie charts, and was a debut single, and spent over 200 weeks on chart. So, it's certainly in the running.

I have their first two albums and I still enjoy them. I did love their Wembley tribute song too - especially name-checking Fred (I know Brandon is a fan). Good band.

MusicalProstitute

Kes wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:34 pm 200 weeks on the singles chart. Fuck a duck. That four years!
Bloody good guess, man.

Yep, streaming has certainly shaken up the music charts - songs that came out 50 years ago, say, can now hit the charts in a day. I like that.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Bit of a strange one, but I probably go past the place once a week. In the world of music, what's the significance of the Romida Sports shop in Leatherhead?

Kes

Post by Kes »

The answer could be any one of these :-

The Police first two albums, and six singles, including Message In A Bottle, and Roxanne.

Spellbound - Souixsie & The Banshees

Godley & Creme's second & third albums, though their next three were also mixed there.

They were all recorded in this little building, which I think was previously a dairy. Surrey Sound Studios, Leatherhead, set up by Nigel Gray, who also produced the above.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Now they Whams Last Christmas has finally got to number one in the UK, what is now the best selling single not to hit the top spot in the UK charts?

Kes

Post by Kes »

That's a toughie.

I'd go for something like Blue Monday by New Order, or Oasis - Wonderwall.