PUB QUIZ

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Generic username

Re: PUB QUIZ

Post by Generic username »

Kes wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:53 pm Not complaining, but the way they've gathered their information's a bit confusing.
If you stream Queen's GH, you bump up each of the original albums which I agree is weird.

It isn't "biggest albums of the 70s", it's "biggest songs of the 70s and the albums they originally came from"

Technically, you could make a case for The Game to be on this list given that CLTCL has probably been streamed 300m times and was released in 79

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

I was looking at that link I posted and I think it’s the total amount of times the songs were streamed from the original album. If they streamed a song from a greatest hits collection it didn’t count. I would be willing to bet that the streams for the greatest hits are much higher.

Bohemian Rhapsody has been streamed over 1,400 million (1.4 billion) times on Spotify alone.

Generic username

the milkman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:47 am I was looking at that link I posted and I think it’s the total amount of times the songs were streamed from the original album. If they streamed a song from a greatest hits collection it didn’t count. I would be willing to bet that the streams for the greatest hits are much higher.

Bohemian Rhapsody has been streamed over 1,400 million (1.4 billion) times on Spotify alone.
But if I search just the single song, how does Spotify know whether I'm streaming a bit of ANATO, GH, CQ, AG, or the Wayne's World soundtrack? It MUST have a default album associated with it, which is then getting the boost?

I remember when I tied my music folder to Amazon a few years back, the sheer randomness of the associations - every song already had the correct tags and they mostly got changed to either Greatest Hits albums or random VA compilations. Also, my car boasts of having the Gracenote database built in, except it's shit and has never even heard of the Carpenters. I'm sure Spotify is better than those, but I wouldn't make any assumption about the accuracy of their publicity material

Kes

Post by Kes »

I think most of the plays on Spotify are unrequested, and just something it "feels" you should like due to playlists you, and like minded people have selected, or previously selected.

Sorry, I'm about as much a fan of streaming services, as I am of a lot of radio stations.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Generic username wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:51 pm But if I search just the single song, how does Spotify know whether I'm streaming a bit of ANATO, GH, CQ, AG, or the Wayne's World soundtrack? It MUST have a default album associated with it, which is then getting the boost?
When I search for a song on Spotify it comes up with a list of copies, each from the various album's it's on, so for instance with Bo Rhap the first 5 versions are the film soundtrack, ANATO, Suicide Squad soundtrack, Live at Wembley and the Live Aid version from the film soundtrack. You then choose which version to listen to.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Generic username wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:51 pm
the milkman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:47 am I was looking at that link I posted and I think it’s the total amount of times the songs were streamed from the original album. If they streamed a song from a greatest hits collection it didn’t count. I would be willing to bet that the streams for the greatest hits are much higher.

But if I search just the single song, how does Spotify know whether I'm streaming a bit of ANATO, GH, CQ, AG, or the Wayne's World soundtrack? It MUST have a default album associated with it, which is then getting the boost?

I remember when I tied my music folder to Amazon a few years back, the sheer randomness of the associations - every song already had the correct tags and they mostly got changed to either Greatest Hits albums or random VA compilations. Also, my car boasts of having the Gracenote database built in, except it's shit and has never even heard of the Carpenters. I'm sure Spotify is better than those, but I wouldn't make any assumption about the accuracy of their publicity material
I’m sure all of those options will pop up and it just depends on which one you click. That’s the one that gets the credit.

Kes is right about the playlists. That’s where a lot of the streams come from. If you look at Apple Music’s ‘70s Hard Rock, Movie Essentials & Guitar Greats playlists you will see that they all contain the album version of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Did an online quiz, Gold Radio, earlier on, and one of the questions was "Where was the video to Queen's We Will Rock You filmed? Their 'correct answer' was Roger Daltrey's back garden. Hmmm, I think they might have got that one, a little bit wrong.

Kes

Post by Kes »

What was the first #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, to feature a curse/cuss/swear word?

In this case the word is "Damn".

Generic username

Kes wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:42 pm What was the first #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, to feature a curse/cuss/swear word?

Must be before Lennon swearing on Let It Be...er....

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Generic username wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:25 pm
Kes wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:42 pm What was the first #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, to feature a curse/cuss/swear word?

Must be before Lennon swearing on Let It Be...er....
A Boy Called Sue?