David Bowie

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Frank

David Bowie

Post by Frank »

Just downloaded the new ChangesNowBowie album, which is a live acoustic (mostly) set from 1997. It started streaming yesterday. And it sounds fresh! Like it could have been recorded today. I love it!

Anywho, here's a thread for us to talk all things Bowie. =)

Buckeye Randy

Re: David Bowie

Post by Buckeye Randy »

My casual knowledge of Bowie and the day my fandom started was exactly the moment I recorded the 'Farewell Concert' off the radio onto an 8-track tape in 1975. Our local radio station would play syndicated shows every Sunday night (mostly unreleased live productions). I had so many of these free bootlegs by my favorite bands, it was a fun time. Anyways, the Bowie show was condensed to fit inside an hour (as nearly all of them were) but remarkably it included Jeff Beck's appearance on Jean Geanie and Love Me Do. To this day, I still love Ronson era Bowie and all other eras are far behind.

Curious to people's favorite era of Bowie.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Bowie had such an eclectic career. He changed so much over the years. A real artist in every sense of the word.

My favorite time period was 1970 - 1976 (especially Ziggy Stardust!). He loses me a bit with his "Berlin trilogy" but I definitely appreciate what he was doing. By the way, I have a weak spot for 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) -- I could listen to that record all day every day.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Frank wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:46 pm He loses me a bit with his "Berlin trilogy" but I definitely appreciate what he was doing.
I wasn't a real fan either but I did know the material. I had the live album "Stage" which had songs from "Low" and "Heroes" and I bought "Lodger" on cassette...probably one of my least played cassettes.

I think it's ironic that smack in the middle of the sometimes challenging Trilogy came what is arguably the most commercial moment of Bowie's career. The Bing Crosby Christmas duet still gets played to this day.

I think the album "Stage" is underrated. I really like how this band covers the songs from Ziggy and Station to Station.
Frank wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:46 pm I have a weak spot for 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) -- I could listen to that record all day every day.
I'll have to give it a re-visit.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Frank wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:46 pm Bowie had such an eclectic career. He changed so much over the years. A real artist in every sense of the word.

My favorite time period was 1970 - 1976 (especially Ziggy Stardust!). He loses me a bit with his "Berlin trilogy" but I definitely appreciate what he was doing. By the way, I have a weak spot for 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) -- I could listen to that record all day every day.
That’s pretty much how I feel about him as well. He was a brilliant artist but I don’t like a lot of his material. Some of it is great like the period you mentioned and Scary Monsters, but I only like a few songs on most of his albums.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Thanks for the heads up on Scary Monsters. I forgot about Fashion and have added it to my Bowie playlist. I love making playlists of my favorite bands, it is such a good way to narrow my horizons! These playlists are not meant to be career defining or an introduction to an artist. They are just my favorite songs bundled together for convenience. I used to do this with cassettes...I remember writing down the length of songs trying to figure out how to get the most songs and as little dead space as possible. The CD era made it allot easier and now it has become ridiculously easy to make and change these playlists with streaming files.

So I did a quick count of my playlist of favorite Bowie songs. The nearly 4 hour playlist has 56 songs, 35 from the Ziggy era and 21 from his other 22 studio albums.

From the 21 songs that are non Ziggy era:
  • Six are pre Ziggy. 4 from the Deram debut and 2 from Space Oddity.
  • Five from Diamond Dogs which actually sounds like a Ziggy era album
  • Two each from Young Americans and Station To Station
  • Three from The Berlin Trilogy
  • Three post Trilogy

As I said, my playlists are not career defining but this one makes for a great Saturday night around the fire pit. All killer, no filler!

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Diamond Dogs is one of my favorite albums.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

I don't mind his early stuff but think stuff in the 80s and later is hit and miss.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Frank wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:42 pm Just downloaded the new ChangesNowBowie album, which is a live acoustic (mostly) set from 1997. It started streaming yesterday. And it sounds fresh! Like it could have been recorded today. I love it!

Anywho, here's a thread for us to talk all things Bowie. =)
Bowie was absolutely on a roll in 1997. Outside had been a cult return to form, and he was about to unleash Earthling on the world, which although it wouldn't be a huge seller at the time has gone on to garner it's own loyal following. I'd wager it's one of his best records, tbh.

Holding out hope for a box-set of 1993-1998 when all this madness in the world is over... certainly, two 1997 EPs this year seems to point to it happening.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

One thing with Bowie that is similar to Queen is success in the U.K. being much bigger than in the U.S.. I'm not saying Bowie was a cult artist in the U.S. but he only had five top 5 studio albums in the U.S. and two of those were his last two (The Next Day, Blackstar). Bowie had massive U.K. chart success with his studio albums landing a total of 20 times in the top 5 with 9 reaching number 1. (source wiki)

Question about U.K. classic rock radio. Do they play Bowie on the radio everyday? With that kind of chart success I'm guessing yes. I don't listen to the radio much here in Northeast Ohio, just in the car and I live fairly close to work. I go weeks without hearing Bowie...yet can't escape AC/DC, Def Lep, and Pink Floyd!

I'm currently on a Mick Ronson binge. Did Bowie ever record a version of the song "Growing Up And I'm Fine"? I love Ronson's version from SOTA.

Good info at Justin's site, it's a shame the messageboard is shut down
http://www.mickronson.co.uk/index.shtml