David Bowie

Other music, TV, films and general interest
the milkman

Re: David Bowie

Post by the milkman »

I like Outside better than Earthling. Strangers When We Meet is my favorite late period Bowie song.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

What do you consider the beginning of the "late period Bowie"?

I was thinking of other bands that have spanned multiple decades and their different eras.

The Rolling Stones for instance, I'm partial to the Mick Taylor years ('69 - '74) but I also like many of their hits from the '60's. I've liked fewer and fewer songs as time has passed. I do not know when 'late period' starts with the Stones but I know I don't consider it essential.

On the flipside is Sparks. I think Sparks' strongest material can be divided almost equally between their glam trilogy ('73 - '75) and the run of recent albums that started with Lil Beethoven (2002). If I made a list of my top ten songs by Sparks, nearly half would be 'late period' Sparks. BTW, new album out mid May.

Any bands that you prefer 'late period'?

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:50 am What do you consider the beginning of the "late period Bowie"?

I was thinking of other bands that have spanned multiple decades and their different eras.

The Rolling Stones for instance, I'm partial to the Mick Taylor years ('69 - '74) but I also like many of their hits from the '60's. I've liked fewer and fewer songs as time has passed. I do not know when 'late period' starts with the Stones but I know I don't consider it essential.

On the flipside is Sparks. I think Sparks' strongest material can be divided almost equally between their glam trilogy ('73 - '75) and the run of recent albums that started with Lil Beethoven (2002). If I made a list of my top ten songs by Sparks, nearly half would be 'late period' Sparks. BTW, new album out mid May.

Any bands that you prefer 'late period'?

I guess I would consider his last few studio albums to be his later period. Black Star is my favorite out of those but Strangers When We Meet is my favorite song from those albums.

I’ll have to think about your second question. I prefer the Stones from 68-81.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Given the mainstream perception of Bowie seems to fizzle out after Dancing in the Street and Labyrinth, there's a strong argument to be made for everything from Tin Machine onwards.

But it's generally considered that Black Tie White Noise is the start of his resurgence into critical acclaim. I'd say 1993 onwards is "Latter Day Bowie", in three distinct phases - the pioneering work up to and including 1999's 'Hours...' (originally conceived as a video game soundtrack), the retrospective phase of looking back and celebrating the back catalogue (sort of starting with 'Hours...' but really kicking in with Toy/heathen), and then the final hurrah with The Next Day and Blackstar.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Yesterday was the anniversary of Ronno's death, it has been 27 years. I'll never forget hearing the news on the radio followed by "Slaughter On 10th Avenue".

My favorite Mick Ronson memory was during a club show in 1980. Ian Hunter and Todd Rundgren played a series of club shows raising money for John B. Anderson's campaign for president. During a show in Akron, Mick Ronson joined the band on stage for the last several numbers. Included was Mick singing "Get On With It".

Lighter held high!

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

As much as I adore Blackstar, I absolutely cannot listen to it these days. Hours is the one Bowie album I listen to out of all the albums that I own.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Black Wings wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:19 pm As much as I adore Blackstar, I absolutely cannot listen to it these days. Hours is the one Bowie album I listen to out of all the albums that I own.
I can’t list to Hours at all. A friend of mine loved it and told me to get it but I can’t stand it.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

the milkman wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:02 pm
Black Wings wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:19 pm As much as I adore Blackstar, I absolutely cannot listen to it these days. Hours is the one Bowie album I listen to out of all the albums that I own.
I can’t list to Hours at all. A friend of mine loved it and told me to get it but I can’t stand it.
How dare we disagree on this of all things :twisted: :lol: ;)
I love it too. I think Hours is a strong album.
Not to say I don't love Blackstar, but I just can't listen to it. I have to be in the right frame of mind, and I'm not, I haven't been able to play it for over a year. But I will say this, it's a great, stunning album. I just hope no one here thinks I hate it.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

A Bowie Celebration in honor of his 74th birthday:

http://wmgk.com/2020/12/15/david-bowie- ... 1Dws5-Sx7w

Kes

Post by Kes »

For me, his strongest period was the Ken Scott/Trident years, even though the guy came up with moments of sheer genius throughout his life.