David Bowie

Other music, TV, films and general interest
carolb57

Re: David Bowie

Post by carolb57 »

Another review of the Bowie celebration:

http://amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/j ... gTJFgs_5r8

My son reminded me that he and my daughter attended a local Bowie concert in the 90’s where Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails opened for him. David came on stage and performed “Scary Monsters” with them!

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

carolb57 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:47 am Another review of the Bowie celebration:

My son reminded me that he and my daughter attended a local Bowie concert in the 90’s where Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails opened for him. David came on stage and performed “Scary Monsters” with them!
Lucky they saw him. I'm jealous ;)

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

midnight sky wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:01 am
carolb57 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:47 am Another review of the Bowie celebration:

Lucky they saw him. I'm jealous ;)
Me, too! I was too busy back then!

Kes

Post by Kes »

The only place I ever saw him in the flesh, was the Freddie Tribute Concert.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Kes wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 am The only place I ever saw him in the flesh, was the Freddie Tribute Concert.
No I will have flashbacks now to him doing the Lord's Prayer.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Probably won't ever be so out of place as Elizabeth Taylor turning up on stage.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

JLP wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:09 pm
Kes wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 am The only place I ever saw him in the flesh, was the Freddie Tribute Concert.
No I will have flashbacks now to him doing the Lord's Prayer.
I was shocked he did that. Actually it was one of the most shocking things I've ever seen a rocker do up to thst point. Yes, I was that naive at that time.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Kes wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:11 pm Probably won't ever be so out of place as Elizabeth Taylor turning up on stage.
I guess they both had good intentions.
I'm surprised the tribute was the first time you saw Bowie live. What did you think about All The Young Dudes performance?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Retrospectively, I'm not surprised.

Back then, I wasn't particulaly into the directions Bowie had gone since the Trident years. I've only come to appreciate the later stuff in recent years. Glass Spider tour? What a waste of a world class guitarist.

The performances, all of them that Bowie featured on at the Freddie Tribute Concert were great. I must also admit his Glastonbury gig, was a marvel, but that's probably because he went back to his roots around then, a lot more than previously.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Kes wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:44 pm Retrospectively, I'm not surprised.

Back then, I wasn't particulaly into the directions Bowie had gone since the Trident years. I've only come to appreciate the later stuff in recent years. Glass Spider tour? What a waste of a world class guitarist.

The performances, all of them that Bowie featured on at the Freddie Tribute Concert were great. I must also admit his Glastonbury gig, was a marvel, but that's probably because he went back to his roots around then, a lot more than previously.
I thought he wrote Heroes as a tribute to Freddie at the time, man those lyrics and the way he sang it blew me away.
This was before I dug deeper in his back catalogue which happened a year or two later.
Bowie forever changed music.