David Bowie

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Kes

Re: David Bowie

Post by Kes »

Probably the big thing that makes that song, is Toyah Wilcox's husband on it.

In fact he had a habit of grabbing hold of talented guitarists, at the right time. He must have liked Heroes, because he did it at Live Aid, too.

As an aside, he was asked in the early 2000s, "What's the best song you've ever written?" Guess what his answer was...

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Kes wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:40 am Probably the big thing that makes that song, is Toyah Wilcox's husband on it.

In fact he had a habit of grabbing hold of talented guitarists, at the right time. He must have liked Heroes, because he did it at Live Aid, too.

As an aside, he was asked in the early 2000s, "What's the best song you've ever written?" Guess what his answer was...
I am sure I read somewhere Bowie saying that without Mick Ronson, he would not have made his major breakthrough in 1972ish.

Kes

Post by Kes »

There's certain things about his songs that leap out and grab you.

Either Mick Ronson's guitar, or Rick Wakeman's piano on the early stuff. Robert Fripp's guitar on Heroes, The hammered bass guitar on Ashes To Ashes. It seems there's always something special about his big stuff.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Kes wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:08 am There's certain things about his songs that leap out and grab you.

Either Mick Ronson's guitar, or Rick Wakeman's piano on the early stuff. Robert Fripp's guitar on Heroes, The hammered bass guitar on Ashes To Ashes. It seems there's always something special about his big stuff.
If my memory is not playing tricks on me I think the Tribute gig was Mick Ronsons last ever live appearance.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

JLP wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
Kes wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:08 am There's certain things about his songs that leap out and grab you.

If my memory is not playing tricks on me I think the Tribute gig was Mick Ronsons last ever live appearance.
Can I ask you if you have seen the sculpture of his gutair?

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

midnight sky wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm
JLP wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm

Can I ask you if you have seen the sculpture of his gutair?
Not that I recall.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Starman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:08 pm One of those people who confuses everyone by saying your favourite Beatles album is ‘The Beatles’, I take it.

Of course that only works if The White Album is your favourite, which would be a weird choice.

Not a criticism. It’s good to have little affectations.
Well, as it happens, yes... but why would I call the 1969 Bowie album "Space Oddity" when that isn't its name?

That title was added afterwards by RCA. When the album was reissued in 2015 it had its correct name again... though to be really annoying it flipped back to "Space Oddity" for the lacklustre 2019 mix.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Kes wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:40 am Probably the big thing that makes that song, is Toyah Wilcox's husband on it.

Yet interestingly he didn't include it on the iSelect compilation of his favourites. Possibly because he was including other songs from that period, but the hit he chose was Life On Mars? instead.

"Heroes" is a strange one. It bombed as a single and was pretty forgotten about UNTIL he pulled it out at Live Aid. And then over the 35 years since its grown in standing to the point that its almost unrivaled as his 'signature song' now... but in 77 nobody wanted it!

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Ps. In other Bowie news I managed to get a copy of the cream vinyl single that came out on his birthday... now debating whether I hold onto it given its selling for £300 a pop!

Also got the new reissue of Liveandwell.com this weekend... very excited for the impending boxset after all these live albums and EPs over the last 12 months, because 90s Bowie is MY era.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Sir Didymus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:49 pm Life on Mars?
Yet interestingly he didn't include it on the iSelect compilation of his favourites. Possibly because he was including other songs from that period, but the hit he chose was Life On Mars? instead.

"Heroes" is a strange one. It bombed as a single and was pretty forgotten about UNTIL he pulled it out at Live Aid. And then over the 35 years since its grown in standing to the point that its almost unrivaled as his 'signature song' now... but in 77 nobody wanted it!
Yep, what he said, on both counts.