Artists you can't stand.

Other music, TV, films and general interest
carolb57

Re: Artists you can't stand.

Post by carolb57 »

Frank wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:03 am Bon Jovi.

Every time they come on the radio I have to turn that sh*t off. No particular reason. I just don't like their sound.
I’ve had the same reaction with Sam and Adele. I always turned off “Stay With Me” and “Someone Like You.” It’s the whine sound!

Innuendoes
Location: Uh-Oh, We're In Trouble, Something's Come Along And It's Burst Your Bubble

Post by Innuendoes »

Neil Diamond, for real.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Innuendoes wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:14 am Neil Diamond, for real.
I like some of his songs but I saw him in the 90s and I wanted to leave a few minutes after I sat down. It was so boring!!!!! He was probably better in the seventies.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

the milkman wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:52 pm
I like some of his songs but I saw him in the 90s and I wanted to leave a few minutes after I sat down. It was so boring!!!!! He was probably better in the seventies.
There is a song of his I can't stand and it's one if the most popular ones, if not the most. Thankfully it doesn't get played much, by the radio stations I listen to.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Black Wings wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 pm
There is a song of his I can't stand and it's one if the most popular ones, if not the most. Thankfully it doesn't get played much, by the radio stations I listen to.
I grew up in a world where Neil Diamond was on AM radio allot. I'm not talking cool AM radio with fast talking DJs playing "Green Eyed Lady" or "Smokin' In The Boys Room". I'm talking about the station my Mom had on in the kitchen with a smooth talking DJ playing The Carpenters and rocking out meant playing Cher or maybe Tony Orlando.

Anywho, that was my first impression of Neil Diamond and he was in a nice tidy box with artists that were 'uncool'. That box got blown up when I saw the "The Last Waltz" by The Band.

Neil Diamond was no longer in a box with AM radio hit makers. He was sharing a stage with The Band and a host of stars including Dr. John, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Neil Young and Van Morrison among others. That's a very cool crowd and I suppose a great example how life is full of contradictions.

I've never thought about seeing Neil live or buying a CD but I do smile when I hear "Sweet Caroline". This song is played by the marching band at Meechigan Wolverine football games between the 3rd and 4th quarters. The entire student section sings often joined by the whole stadium. Now, I'm generally repulsed by anything to do with meechigan football but I saw a game in Ann Arbor about ten years ago and it was actually pretty cool hearing a stadium sing "Sweet Caroline".

action

Post by action »

- that singer from greta from fleet
- the singer from "you're beautiful" and other singers who copied his voice
- the singer from "fuck you" and all those other hits with "fuck" in the title

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

I saw Neil in the 90’s and he was brilliant! “Sweet Caroline” is a masterpiece!

I think they play that at Boston Red Sox games, too!

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

carolb57 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:28 pm
I saw Neil in the 90’s and he was brilliant! “Sweet Caroline” is a masterpiece!

I think they play that at Boston Red Sox games, too!

See, different strokes for different folks. Saw him live and it was a snooze fest IMO.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Neil’s “Coming To America” is epic, too! He just has a spectacular voice!

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

carolb57 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:52 pm Neil’s “Coming To America” is epic, too! He just has a spectacular voice!
I don’t care for Sweet Caroline but I love America. I also like most of the other songs on Greatest Hits Vol. 2.