Musicians, artists and famous people who have passed away

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Innuendoes

Musicians, artists and famous people who have passed away

Post by Innuendoes »

Today, 05-09-2020, we lost The Father Of Rock and Roll, the Georgia Peach. Little Richard!

A few songs he was famous for.

Innuendoes

Re: Musicians, artists and famous people who have passed away

Post by Innuendoes »

One of the all-time great clips from Little Richard... Arsenio Hall Show with interview.

This is fantastic!

Little Richard, Founding Father of Rock Who Broke Musical Barriers, Dead at 87
Pianist-singer behind “Tutti Frutti,” “Good Golly Miss Molly,” and “Long Tall Sally” set the template that a generation of musicians would follow.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ead-48505/

A song written by Leon Russell for Little Richard and oh so much in both of their styles. Very similar. I don't know that I ever heard Richard sing this, exactly this way, but the Tootie Fruity is sure in there.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Damn, I can't believe he's gone. What a great musician, comedian and human being. :(

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

I just found out he had written an autobiography. I have to get this. Even more, I have to find time to actually read it.

James Brown called him his idol. Mick Jagger called him the king, Elvis Presley called him the greatest. Otis Redding called him his inspiration. Muhammad Ali called him his favorite singer. Jimi Hendrix said he wanted to do with his guitar what Little Richard did with his voice. And they all agreed on one thing: Little Richard, more than anyone else, personified the energy of rock n roll. Decked out in a mirrored suit, his hair pampadour, his face covered in pancake makeup, and his ferocious eyes mesmerized the crowd, he stomped, jumped, and screamed his way to the top of the charts with songs like "Rip It Up," "Long Tall Sally," "Good Golly Miss Molly," "Tutti Frutti," and "Slippin' and Slidin'."Here is the authorized biography of this legendary king of rock n roll, now fully updated to include his recent comeback, and including a complete discography and sessionography. Written largely in Richard's own words, but also including testimony from a star-studded cast of family, friends, and fellow musicians, this classic of rock literature tells all—his flamboyant stage antics; his blatant flaunting of racial taboos; his sexual experiences; his bewildering career that careened between show business and the church; and exactly how he created the music that would become a symbol of rebellion for kids all over the world.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

RIP to a true groundbreaking artist.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Black Wings wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:07 am
I ordered that book. I also saw it was on Goodreads if you are interested. I just hope I get the chance to read it. There is so much always going on, I don't even have time to go to bed half the time for real. I really want to read learn much of what I have already read. I had no idea his life was so hard for him especially when he was a young kid. Another evil father who beat his child, to bits. But it didn't do to him what it did to many others. He set out to be the best he coudl be despite what his father thought of him.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Innuendoes wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:56 am
Black Wings wrote:
I ordered that book. I also saw it was on Goodreads if you are interested. I just hope I get the chance to read it. There is so much always going on, I don't even have time to go to bed half the time for real. I really want to read learn much of what I have already read. I had no idea his life was so hard for him especially when he was a young kid. Another evil father who beat his child, to bits. But it didn't do to him what it did to many others. He set out to be the best he coudl be despite what his father thought of him.
I'm sure my father read it years ago, I never got around to it. It sounds like a very good book, I will add to my GR.
He really went through alot. I wish I could buy thr book too, was it expensive?

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Simply stated, Rock and Roll lost a pioneer and an iconic performer. Little Richard's ability to sell records was a relatively small window between 1955 and '58 but his influence on music was enormous and far reaching. It is amazing how influence can't be measured in record sales.

After hearing news like this I always reflect on the impact an artist had on me. I never saw Little Richard live and I have a grand total of one CD by Little Richard and that came from a discount bin. Growing up, I heard his hits on oldie stations but I also heard his music through others. Mott The Hoople included a 10 minute live version of "Keep A Knockin'" on the album "Wildlife". Mick Ronson does a fun version of "The Girl Can't Help It" on his second solo album. I guess I really don't have a connection but I still recognize the importance of his contributions to the early days of rock and roll. I'm looking forward to my next trip to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, I'm sure they will add some things to his display.

Anybody here ever see him live?

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

This is fantastic. I've been listening to this several times tonight/this morning and I just keep LMAO. That laugh is outrageous and just the greatest.

I thought I had seen him perform live because I saw everyone else but I can't find him on any performer lists for the main venues I attended all the time.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Black Wings wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:14 am
Innuendoes wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:56 am
Black Wings wrote:
I'm sure my father read it years ago, I never got around to it. It sounds like a very good book, I will add to my GR.
He really went through alot. I wish I could buy thr book too, was it expensive?
I think I paid $22 for it. I don't remember. Just was more checking out the sellers and where they were located.

I read an article about how his father had beat him so much, all the time so he decided to move out and he was only 13 or 17 (I've read both) years old. Later, apparently his father realized how good of a singer/performer he was and he and Richard made up. His dad bought him a car so he could get to venues easier, etc. And they were finally getting along. His dad was a preacher but he also owned a bar and sold moonshine, too.

Quoting iloveoldschoolmusic.com,
His father, Bud, sold moonshine. “My daddy,” Richard said, “put me out of the house. He said he wanted seven boys, and that I had spoiled it, because I was gay.” Bud was shot dead outside a local bar when Richard was 19. “My best friend Frank shot him,” says the singer. “He was out of jail in a week. We never quite found out what really happened.”
Tragic!