Musicians, artists and famous people who have passed away

Other music, TV, films and general interest
JLP
Site Admin

Re: Musicians, artists and famous people who have passed away

Post by JLP »

The Union Jack at 10 Downing Street is flying at half mast in tribute to Captain Tom. Cannot think that would be done for that many people.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

I wasn't expecting that to happen, but it's fitting.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Think this is the donation page following the shutting of his 'just giving' psge.

https://captaintom.org/

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Kes wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:38 pm Think this is the donation page following the shutting of his 'just giving' psge.

https://captaintom.org/
Thanks.

Kes

Post by Kes »

As regards flags at half mast in Downing Street, most recently, it's been largely to respect the victims of worldwide terrorist incidents.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Kes wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:42 pm As regards flags at half mast in Downing Street, most recently, it's been largely to respect the victims of worldwide terrorist incidents.

Forgive me, because this is going to sound horrible, but who was the last public figure the flags were flown at half mast for?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Flying the Union Flag at Half-mast

The Union Flag is flown from Government buildings at half-mast in the following situations:

from the announcement of the death of the Sovereign (an exception is made for Proclamation Day – the day the new Sovereign is proclaimed, when the Flag is flown at full mast from 11 am to sunset)the day of the funeral of a member of the British Royal Familythe funeral of a foreign Head of Statethe funeral of a former British Prime Minister

The Sovereign sometimes declares other days when the Union Flag is to fly at half-mast. Half-mast means the flag is flown two-thirds of the way up the flagpole with at least the height of the flag between the top of the flag and the top of the flagpole

So, probably an ex-Prime Minister, maybe Margaret Thatcher. I don't know.

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Kes wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:01 pm Flying the Union Flag at Half-mast

The Union Flag is flown from Government buildings at half-mast in the following situations:

from the announcement of the death of the Sovereign (an exception is made for Proclamation Day – the day the new Sovereign is proclaimed, when the Flag is flown at full mast from 11 am to sunset)the day of the funeral of a member of the British Royal Familythe funeral of a foreign Head of Statethe funeral of a former British Prime Minister

The Sovereign sometimes declares other days when the Union Flag is to fly at half-mast. Half-mast means the flag is flown two-thirds of the way up the flagpole with at least the height of the flag between the top of the flag and the top of the flagpole

So, probably an ex-Prime Minister, maybe Margaret Thatcher. I don't know.
I see on FB that there are calls to rename your August Bank Holiday after Captain Tom. He did more for the NHS than the government and it's public/civil servants.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Definitely in terms of inspiring people. I think he will be particularly remembered for humbly reminding people why he was doing it. It was always about the cause, and never about him. A sad loss.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

You'll Never Walk Alone by Brian. His tribute to Captain Tom.

https://brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/bri ... 1a.html#03