Musicians, artists and famous people who have passed away

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Kes

Re: Musicians, artists and famous people who have passed away

Post by Kes »

Bittersweet.

A genius at getting "his" sound to carry across AM radio, and co-writing and producing hundreds of hit records, but unfortunately, also a convicted murderer.

Complications from Covid.

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Innuendoes wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:33 pm
JLP wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:27 pm Phil Spector has died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55697979
:o
I remember Phil Spector saying from prison, "I used to get notes from John Lennon and now I get notes from Charles Manson.

He might have been an innovator of sound (Phil, not Charles) but I find it tough to mourn a convicted murderer.

Next

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:24 pm
Innuendoes wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:33 pm
JLP wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:27 pm Phil Spector has died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55697979
:o
I remember Phil Spector saying from prison, "I used to get notes from John Lennon and now I get notes from Charles Manson.

He might have been an innovator of sound (Phil, not Charles) but I find it tough to mourn a convicted murderer.

Next
I'm not mourning his death. It's just that he was such a huge part of the music scene in California and because Leon Russell worked with him and learned that wall of sound technique then implemented it into his own music. But Leon was a genius in his own right, with or without Phil Spector.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Innuendoes wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:04 am I'm not mourning his death. It's just that he was such a huge part of the music scene in California and because Leon Russell worked with him and learned that wall of sound technique then implemented it into his own music. But Leon was a genius in his own right, with or without Phil Spector.
Fair enough. Phil was a music innovator and his accomplishments can't be ignored.

I think it is a slippery slope when holding artists, inventors, scientists or even politicians to some moral barometer that is usually a moving target. I am very guilty of selective memory when mixing celebrities and their crimes.

"Rock and Roll Pt 2" is banned from being played at many stadiums because of Gary Glitter's convictions against minors. Not many people hold Chuck Berry accountable for his early '60's conviction of transporting a 14 year old across a state line. During testimony the minor stated she was raped 14 times. Chuck was sentenced to three years in prison. Upon Berry's death, he was remembered more for his contributions to music than his time in the criminal justice system. just saying....

No point other than it's interesting who is held accountable and who gets a free pass.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:41 am
Innuendoes wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:04 am I'm not mourning his death. It's just that he was such a huge part of the music scene in California and because Leon Russell worked with him and learned that wall of sound technique then implemented it into his own music. But Leon was a genius in his own right, with or without Phil Spector.
Fair enough. Phil was a music innovator and his accomplishments can't be ignored.

I think it is a slippery slope when holding artists, inventors, scientists or even politicians to some moral barometer that is usually a moving target. I am very guilty of selective memory when mixing celebrities and their crimes.

"Rock and Roll Pt 2" is banned from being played at many stadiums because of Gary Glitter's convictions against minors. Not many people hold Chuck Berry accountable for his early '60's conviction of transporting a 14 year old across a state line. During testimony the minor stated she was raped 14 times. Chuck was sentenced to three years in prison. Upon Berry's death, he was remembered more for his contributions to music than his time in the criminal justice system. just saying....

No point other than it's interesting who is held accountable and who gets a free pass.
I've heard the stories about Chuck Berry for sure, living basically across the river from him. And because of what I heard from other musicians, I never did hold him in high regard - at all! But it seems a lot of people will either ignore his past or claim it's just a rumor. I don't think so. And, hence, wondering about his daughter, Ingrid.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Innuendoes wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:16 am I've heard the stories about Chuck Berry for sure, living basically across the river from him. And because of what I heard from other musicians, I never did hold him in high regard - at all! But it seems a lot of people will either ignore his past or claim it's just a rumor. I don't think so. And, hence, wondering about his daughter, Ingrid.
What about his daughter? I've never heard anything about her.

As far as Chuck's run ins with the law, he was also convicted of armed robbery and tax evasion. Chuck always played for cash.

Wandering off topic...I wonder how fast the national debt would evaporate if everybody paid their taxes? Over the years I've known plenty of guys that snowplow driveways, mow yards or offer tree services. They all have a standard rate (taxable) and a 'cash rate' (free money). It must be OK, Chuck did it!

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:41 pm
Innuendoes wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:16 am I've heard the stories about Chuck Berry for sure, living basically across the river from him. And because of what I heard from other musicians, I never did hold him in high regard - at all! But it seems a lot of people will either ignore his past or claim it's just a rumor. I don't think so. And, hence, wondering about his daughter, Ingrid.
What about his daughter? I've never heard anything about her.

As far as Chuck's run ins with the law, he was also convicted of armed robbery and tax evasion. Chuck always played for cash.

Wandering off topic...I wonder how fast the national debt would evaporate if everybody paid their taxes? Over the years I've known plenty of guys that snowplow driveways, mow yards or offer tree services. They all have a standard rate (taxable) and a 'cash rate' (free money). It must be OK, Chuck did it!
Ingrid Clay Berry, singer for Steve Scorfina's Soul Steel in St Louis, when she's around. Chuck had a couple of daughters for that matter and a son named Chuck Jr. I think Ingrid is the oldest. Lots of stories around in the band circles though about Chuck and the young girls. A LOT of stories about the Scorfina family regarding the mob but not his dad. Maybe uncles and cousins but I did my research and can't find any ties to the dad, who I knew as well.

Yea, taxes. Remember that couple I told you about where the husband was paid under the table all his life, basically? I think he's HVAC. Something to do with plumbing and heating so HVAC fits. Anyway, they lost their home because the guy paying him under the table decided to stop paying him. Mortgage went in the hole and he had no paycheck stubs or tx filings to show the court so they lost their home in court.

I was paid under the table for dog grooming for the first two owners of the shop I worked for in Illinois but I paid my taxes, myself. That was the quarterly pay in advance, every 3 months or whatever. Then pay the balance if there was one, on April 15th or thereabouts. There are probably 1000s of people in this country who work that way, under the table, and don't pay. They put a burden on the rest of us.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Whatever Chuck Berry's transgressions, they barely make a footnote on his profile. He was 35, when he got prosecuted for the 14 year old. When I was 16, I went out with a girl for about two months, didn't do anything naughty with her, but I was really shocked when she told me she was 13, seriously she looked (and behaved) older, and wiser than I did.

Anyways, no Chuck Berry, then no Beach Boys, no Beatles, and not much of anything else that followed them. The guy is a very important piece in the jigsaw of modern music, and there aren't many of those whiter than Snow White in the history of rock 'n' roll. Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc, etc.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Kes wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:53 pm Anyways, no Chuck Berry, then no Beach Boys, no Beatles, and not much of anything else that followed them. The guy is a very important piece in the jigsaw of modern music, and there aren't many of those whiter than Snow White in the history of rock 'n' roll. Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc, etc.
No erasing his contributions and influence. He's one of the three most influential guitarists in the history of rock.

As I said, moral barometers are a moving target as time passes. Sex crimes against minors were not taken as seriously 60 years ago as they are today and maybe he should not be judged by today's standards. Allot like slavery is now looked at differently than 200 years ago.