John Mayer

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Kes

Re: John Mayer

Post by Kes »

This song is about him splitting with Katy Perry.

The video for Still Feel Like Your Man.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

I'm going to have quite the rabbit hole to fall into for at least a couple of days, thanks Kes :)
His duet with Katy Perry is great, I think. Who You Love is underrated in my books.

Kes

Post by Kes »

There really is plenty of stuff out there, i've just done my best to put a lot of the good stuff in one place.

I'm sure most people have found a musician who ticks all or most of the boxes for them. I just find John Mayer a really good balance between performer, personality, musician, singer, and songwriter.

The saying goes "You can lead a horse to water..." and that's John's approach. Here's what I do, if you like it, great, if you don't, then equally great.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Know exactly what you mean. Sometimes you find stuff totally out of the blue and you are hooked for life.

Never got round to listening to your guy. Dont really know why. Maybe the fact he does poppiier stuff because I really like good blues guitarists.

Kes

Post by Kes »

If he was "just" a blues guy, unfortunately no-one would have heard of him, and he wouldn't sell out Manchester Arena, and two nights at the O2.

He makes no secret that people like SRV and Hendrix were the people who inspired him to learn the instrument. He does a live Instagram show, where occasionally he is equipped with a guitar, and people will bounce tunes on him, and he'll pick up the guitar, and rattle it off from memory, often intricate little things like Blackbird by The Beatles, or some obscure Bill Withers song, and it won't be far off perfect. But obviously not rehearsed.

He says of most decent music, it isn't that you don't like it, just that it hasn't grabbed you yet. It probably will, at some point. Try your way through that first clip of Voodoo Chile, and tell me how many artists who've had a US #1 in the last couple of years, who could turn their hand to rattling THAT off. I bet you have too many fingers on one hand to count them.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Ain't No Sunshine

Kes

Post by Kes »

Probably my favourite Hendrix, sorry Dylan song,

All Along The Watchtower.

Kes

Post by Kes »

One of my favourite Mayer songs, featuring a nice bit of harmony guitar work. Slow Dancing In A Burning Room. Brilliant song.

Kes

Post by Kes »

John's VW Beetle commercial.

Kes

Post by Kes »

A song he wrote about getting older, and the fear of his parents dying. Stop This Train