John Mayer

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Kes

Re: John Mayer

Post by Kes »

I Guess I Just Feel Like - Live on Ellen .

Kes

Post by Kes »

His Search For Everything tour show closer - You're Gonna Live Forever In Me

Kes

Post by Kes »

Shadow Days - Official video

Kes

Post by Kes »

Something Like Olivia - Official acoustic performance.

Kes

Post by Kes »

John Mayer/Keith Urban - Sweet Thing.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Not much of a John Mayer fan (nothing against him -- I just never got into him...yet) but found this out today. He's featured anonymously on two tracks of the popular video game Halo 2. He apparently went around his manager and record label so he could get on the soundtrack. He just wanted to be able to tell his friends he's in the video game. :lol:

Though he only plays guitar briefly on this one, he sounds absolutely gorgeous.

I might actually listen to one of his records. Any particular album I should start with?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Studio album - Continuum (That was my starting point).

Live album - Where The Light Is

He tends to follow a theme or style on each album. His first, Room For Squares is accoustic guitar based, the second Heavier Things is a lot more electric guitar based. Continuum, the third album is based in blues. The next Born And Raised, I think my favourite, is a bit more poppy. After that are the albums Paradise Valley and The Search For Everything, a bit more of a country feeling to them, but with some great solos on them.

In amongst those, is Try, a live album from his blues trio, VERY Hendrix influenced in style.

His albums are very much a mixed bag. He doesn't want to get stuck in doing the same old thing.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Kes wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:22 pm
Studio album - Continuum (That was my starting point).

Live album - Where The Light Is

He tends to follow a theme or style on each album. His first, Room For Squares is accoustic guitar based, the second Heavier Things is a lot more electric guitar based. Continuum, the third album is based in blues. The next Born And Raised, I think my favourite, is a bit more poppy. After that are the albums Paradise Valley and The Search For Everything, a bit more of a country feeling to them, but with some great solos on them.

In amongst those, is Try, a live album from his blues trio, VERY Hendrix influenced in style.

His albums are very much a mixed bag. He doesn't want to get stuck in doing the same old thing.
Thanks for your feedback. Downloaded Continuum and I'm very much enjoying it so far. Great easy listening.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Quite often you find with live albums, that the studio versions are better. With his stuff, he always seems to bring something else to them, so the live versions are on a par, sometimes even better than the originals.

If you get into Continuum, and then try out Where The Light Is, you'll see what I mean. That live album was him touring Continuum, and the two albums that preceded it.

Better on DVD or bluray, as you'll get to see who does what, and they're in surround sound. Three sets, in one night. A whole single performance minus one song.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Behind the scenes Queen Of California - Video shoot