Favourite Music Videos

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Young Music Fan

Re: Favourite Music Videos

Post by Young Music Fan »

Old Man wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:52 am
I do not understand, why many sources claim, that "Bohemian Rhapsody" "is widely considered the first-ever promotional music video of its time".

Promovideos were around and quite popular already in the 60s.

Kes wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:13 am Probably the first proper promo The Beatles did.

Paperback Writer

They did one for the B side Rain, at the same time.

The thing they say about these Beatles promo videos is that they were filmed for a specific show in mind. Whereas Bohemian Rhapsody although mainly done for TOTP it got shown on many other TV shows globally at the same time. That's why I think Queen got the credit as the first promotional video.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Back in the late sixties/early seventies, there were two pop music shows that people watched in the UK. Basically Top Of The Pops, and The Old Grey Whistle Test. The second was a show for progressive rock music, and the first was for chart orientated music. Both were a once a week hit, for people to see what they'd been listening to, and to showcase new acts.

Queen were the sort of band who would "fit in" with both shows.

AND we all know that Bo Rhap wasn't Queen's first video, but it was the first to have any sort of theatricality about it.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Young Music Fan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:23 am
The thing they say about these Beatles promo videos is that they were filmed for a specific show in mind. Whereas Bohemian Rhapsody although mainly done for TOTP it got shown on many other TV shows globally at the same time. That's why I think Queen got the credit as the first promotional video.
I have to contradict. Those Beatle-Promos were made for worldwide promotion, especially when they stopped touring in 1966. "Strawberry Fields Forever" was shown all around the world. Same goes for many Stones-clips like "We love you" or "2000 Lightyears from Home". Perhaps that "video"-credit for Queen comes from the fact, that it was originally filmed on video. While those 60s clips were originally done on celluloid.

Young Music Fan

Old Man wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:35 pm
Young Music Fan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:23 am
I have to contradict. Those Beatle-Promos were made for worldwide promotion, especially when they stopped touring in 1966. "Strawberry Fields Forever" was shown all around the world. Same goes for many Stones-clips like "We love you" or "2000 Lightyears from Home". Perhaps that "video"-credit for Queen comes from the fact, that it was originally filmed on video. While those 60s clips were originally done on celluloid.
Yeah that's a good point!

Young Music Fan

Kes wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:28 am Back in the late sixties/early seventies, there were two pop music shows that people watched in the UK. Basically Top Of The Pops, and The Old Grey Whistle Test. The second was a show for progressive rock music, and the first was for chart orientated music. Both were a once a week hit, for people to see what they'd been listening to, and to showcase new acts.

Queen were the sort of band who would "fit in" with both shows.

AND we all know that Bo Rhap wasn't Queen's first video, but it was the first to have any sort of theatricality about it.
Not being there at the time obviously makes it harder for me to appreciate how much of a useful medium they were for artists and how popular these shows were with audiences. I know very little about them especially TOGWT.

Kes

Post by Kes »

A lot of bands went by the wayside, purely because they didn't appeal to the programmers.

Possibly, the most important break Queen got, as regards becoming a success, was Bowie cancelling a performance on TOTP at the last minute.

The BBC started calling round labels, and EMI responded quickest, saying that they had this fantastic exciting new band with a single out the next week.

Ironically, the Sex Pistols got their big break, a very similar way, when Queen cancelled an appearance on the Bill Grundy show.

Young Music Fan

Oh yeah, you saying about the Sex Pistols there does show a comparison that I've never thought about before! I reckon it shows EMI back in the heyday as one of the hardest working or apt record labels.

Kes

Post by Kes »

When you see the list of labels and artists EMI have had on their books, it does make you wonder how they went bust.

Unfortunately, towards the back end of their existence, like when investors like Citibank got involved, the top bands were jumping ship at an alarming rate.

They tried loads of ideas, like outsourcing manufacture, but I don't think they were prepared for the way downloads and streaming would affect their business

The odd thing, is that just about every facet of what they owned at the end, has been taken on by other companies, and flourished. The recording studios, the publishing companies, most of the artists, and most of the branded labels.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Kes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:59 am When you see the list of labels and artists EMI have had on their books, it does make you wonder how they went bust.

Unfortunately, towards the back end of their existence, like when investors like Citibank got involved, the top bands were jumping ship at an alarming rate.

They tried loads of ideas, like outsourcing manufacture, but I don't think they were prepared for the way downloads and streaming would affect their business

The odd thing, is that just about every facet of what they owned at the end, has been taken on by other companies, and flourished. The recording studios, the publishing companies, most of the artists, and most of the branded labels.
There are lots of reasons, why EMI went down. And not only they did so. They all made a lot of mistakes and bad decisions. For example giving up vinyl and focussing on downloads at the end of the 90s. Never understood that, cause for downloads you don't need record companies...

And in the end they were all bought by Universal.

Also I never understood, why "Queen" then went to Universal. I mean, didn't they understand their own musical about one company called "Global Soft" controlling everything ??? :?:

Kes

Post by Kes »

UMG wanted it ALL, but the Monopolies commision shat on that idea, saying that it would make UMG too strong against their competitors. So it had to be brokwn up three ways, and fairly equally, to the three companies who wanted the business.

Those parts of EMI that weren't sold off as individual concerns, like Abbey Road, were split three ways. The EMI, Capitol and Virgin labels were sold to UMG, the remaining labels including Parlophone, and many of the artists managed by the Parlophone office (many of these had recorded previously on the EMI, Parlophone and Harvest labels, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, etc), were moved to WEA/Warner Bros. The remaining third of the business, the publishing arm, was taken on by Sony.

I should add, that Queen signed their deal with UMG a long while before EMI went down. They were up for contract renewal, in late 2010, and were being given much better offers from UMG, and Sony, to sign with them. Ultimately, in business, when someone's offering you twice as much, and promising to treat you much better than who you're currently with, you vote with your feet. UMG revitalised them, and seriously encouraged them to bring out previously unreleased material.

The Beatles, who were traditionally considered to be a Parlophone act in this country, went lock, stock and barrel to UMG, probably because elsewhere they were a Capitol act, and were part of "the settlement".