If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Other music, TV, films and general interest

Would you wear a mask If it was mandatory?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Yes
15
88%
No
1
6%
Maybe
1
6%
 
Total votes: 17

Kes
Moderator
Posts: 1975
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Kes »

No lectures from here. If you do change your mind, it'll be down to all the dirty looks you'll get from people, who don't realise your circumstances.

Unfortunately, for the time being, it's the new "normal". Unless you go round with a sign round your neck saying "No thanks, I've already had it".

carolb57
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:10 am

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by carolb57 »

I’m not able to vote. What am I doing wrong?

User avatar
Generic username
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Generic username »

JLP wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:29 pm Shop staff cannot force people to wear a mask or refuse to serve anyone not wearing one. At least in the shops I work in. Although we do have to wear one if in the customer area.
Shops are private property. Owners can refuse entry to people refusing to do handstands while whistling Dixie if they want.

What your employer chooses to do is up to them, although there's a H&S impact if they're not taking reasonable steps to protect employees.

As I'm sure you know.

User avatar
Sir Didymus
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Sir Didymus »

If you have a legitimate, medical reason for not wearing one, then fine. If wearing one sparks genuine emotional trauma (for example, some victims of sexual assault have stated that covering their mouths is triggering), then I can understand it too.

If you're not wearing one for any other reason, then I have no pity for you if you catch the damn thing, and quite a bit of anger that you think your "freedom" is more important than the safety of everyone else, and their freedom to actually leave their homes again.

User avatar
fairydandy
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by fairydandy »

Sir Didymus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:27 am If you have a legitimate, medical reason for not wearing one, then fine. If wearing one sparks genuine emotional trauma (for example, some victims of sexual assault have stated that covering their mouths is triggering), then I can understand it too.

If you're not wearing one for any other reason, then I have no pity for you if you catch the damn thing, and quite a bit of anger that you think your "freedom" is more important than the safety of everyone else, and their freedom to actually leave their homes again.
So.when we are over this and we go back to killing 20,000 old people a year with flu, will you continue wearing it?

Where is the risk now? We isolate, we distance, we wash our hands, we've been shopping for 4 months without the damned things and now all of a sudden, after we have control, its important to cover up?

Add to this, I had the virus, 3 months ago, so what risk am I to others right now?

I don’t go shopping now anyway, it's all done online, all click and collect. On the very rare occasion that I do have to go to a shop, I will probably comply, but I think it's all a bit ridiculous.

User avatar
Sir Didymus
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Sir Didymus »

fairydandy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:42 pm
Sir Didymus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:27 am If you have a legitimate, medical reason for not wearing one, then fine. If wearing one sparks genuine emotional trauma (for example, some victims of sexual assault have stated that covering their mouths is triggering), then I can understand it too.

If you're not wearing one for any other reason, then I have no pity for you if you catch the damn thing, and quite a bit of anger that you think your "freedom" is more important than the safety of everyone else, and their freedom to actually leave their homes again.
So.when we are over this and we go back to killing 20,000 old people a year with flu, will you continue wearing it?

Where is the risk now? We isolate, we distance, we wash our hands, we've been shopping for 4 months without the damned things and now all of a sudden, after we have control, its important to cover up?

Add to this, I had the virus, 3 months ago, so what risk am I to others right now?

I don’t go shopping now anyway, it's all done online, all click and collect. On the very rare occasion that I do have to go to a shop, I will probably comply, but I think it's all a bit ridiculous.
I'm definitely not an expert on either Covid-19 or the flu, but I've had the latter and it was bad enough that I don't want to risk catching the former... or equally putting at risk any older friends and relatives who've been lucky enough to not catch flu in their old age, but could conceivably catch a virus which, apparently, has a much higher infection rate. And this isn't about the flu - it's about trying to keep that infection rate down so that people can actually be safe again before flu-season kicks in and makes people even more vulnerable.

The big difference for me personally though, is that the flu isn't likely to kill me or my partner, but Covid-19 is. Which is why it's only 8 days since we ventured out of the house for the first time since 19th March, and are limiting those journeys to absolute essentials. It's why our office is likely to stay shut until 2021, even though we've been working harder than ever in lockdown. We'd perhaps be free to actually start to live our lives again if more people took this thing seriously. At one point, the Government even put us on emergency food rations and it took us 3 weeks to get them to stop sending us parcels of food we didn't need because we had access to internet shopping.

There's evidence to suggest that people can re-contract the virus, so who knows if you're still a risk to others (and yourself), or about to be again. And really, it's not doing you any harm to wear one, is it?

User avatar
fairydandy
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by fairydandy »

Sir Didymus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:27 pmThere's evidence to suggest that people can re-contract the virus, so who knows if you're still a risk to others (and yourself), or about to be again. And really, it's not doing you any harm to wear one, is it?
It's what it is. It doesn't occupy any of my time at all thinking about it. I might get run over by a bus (probably similar odds) but I won't be staying indoors in case that happens either.

I have complied with everything, but last Thursday I could go shopping without a mask, now I have to wear one. Was the previous advice inadequate or is the new advice completely over-the-top? I just happen to think it's the latter.

Incidentally, I don't know of a single person outside of work who has had this.

User avatar
Sir Didymus
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Sir Didymus »

fairydandy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:46 pm
Sir Didymus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:27 pmThere's evidence to suggest that people can re-contract the virus, so who knows if you're still a risk to others (and yourself), or about to be again. And really, it's not doing you any harm to wear one, is it?
It's what it is. It doesn't occupy any of my time at all thinking about it. I might get run over by a bus (probably similar odds) but I won't be staying indoors in case that happens either.

I have complied with everything, but last Thursday I could go shopping without a mask, now I have to wear one. Was the previous advice inadequate or is the new advice completely over-the-top? I just happen to think it's the latter.

Incidentally, I don't know of a single person outside of work who has had this.
I'd go with the former, tbh. I definitely wouldn't have gone anywhere without a mask.

I've been lucky too, so far, in that only a few acquaintances have had it - nobody actually close to me. Though a few of them are now having to bury family members as a result of it, so I'm not going to dismiss it as a load of fuss over nothing.

User avatar
Nicki
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 pm

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Nicki »

fairydandy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:42 pm
So.when we are over this and we go back to killing 20,000 old people a year with flu, will you continue wearing it?

Where is the risk now? We isolate, we distance, we wash our hands, we've been shopping for 4 months without the damned things and now all of a sudden, after we have control, its important to cover up?

Add to this, I had the virus, 3 months ago, so what risk am I to others right now?

I don’t go shopping now anyway, it's all done online, all click and collect. On the very rare occasion that I do have to go to a shop, I will probably comply, but I think it's all a bit ridiculous.
Not about wearing a mask, but since you already had it: The first patient diagnosed with Covid 19 in Germany in late January doesn’t have anti-bodies anymore. Since April (!) no neutralizing anti bodies can be found in his body.

Kes
Moderator
Posts: 1975
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Kes »

fairydandy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:46 pm
It's what it is. It doesn't occupy any of my time at all thinking about it. I might get run over by a bus (probably similar odds) but I won't be staying indoors in case that happens either.
I get your point, completely, different people will have different perspectives on this, and certainly have the the right to hold those viewpoints.

Using the bus analogy though, some people actually choose to walk out in front of buses, some don't. So, I guess the analogy works both ways.

Unfortunately, in the case of this Covid, you could be the person getting hit by the bus, or you could be the bus driver, killing somebody else. I don't think it's an argument with a definitive right or wrong. That's the terrible thing about it.

Getting over a cold, is your immune system beating a virus. Doesn't stop you getting another dose of it a couple of months later, and until anyone actually knows different, then we have to suppose Covid 19 "could" behave the same way.

Post Reply