If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Other music, TV, films and general interest

Would you wear a mask If it was mandatory?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Yes
88%
No
6%
Maybe
6%

Total votes: 17

Generic username

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Generic username »

Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:18 pm I give up, mate... you do you. :|
Are you suggesting that fd is un-persuadable?

On the subject of meat processing plants - I believe I read that the necessity of cool temperatures and the lack of daylight along with proximal working are all contributors.

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

So, its ok to give people flu and kill them, but not Covid? That's what I hear.

Mark my words, the snowflake generation will be saying this soon and we will probably never stop wearing masks again.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

fairydandy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:33 pm
So, its ok to give people flu and kill them, but not Covid? That's what I hear.

Mark my words, the snowflake generation will be saying this soon and we will probably never stop wearing masks again.
No one is saying that at all. But as always, you have made your mind up so it is really pointless arguing the toss.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Generic username wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:24 pm
Are you suggesting that fd is un-persuadable?

On the subject of meat processing plants - I believe I read that the necessity of cool temperatures and the lack of daylight along with proximal working are all contributors.
About what you say about the plants makes me think if things will go haywire during the winter seasons until there is a vaccine. Shorter daylight hours, cold temps.

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

JLP wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:49 pm
No one is saying that at all. But as always, you have made your mind up so it is really pointless arguing the toss.
But they are saying that. I'm trying to make a point that Covid matters, but flu doesn't. If we wore masks in the winter flu season, less people would die, that's true isnt it? So the people who are wearing masks for Covid will wear them every year, for flu, from now on?

I'm not arguing. I answered the topic question, but as always you only see your side of the story.

Incidentally, I do wear masks when I go shopping and I have complied 100% with everything. It is kind of funny watching you all jump how you do though. I dont agree with it though, it's too late. Not that anyone here is entitled to an opinion of their own, heaven forbid!

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

I absolutely wish wearing masks were made mandatory from the start. It would have saved lives.

Frank

Post by Frank »

fairydandy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:09 pm
JLP wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:49 pm
But they are saying that. I'm trying to make a point that Covid matters, but flu doesn't. If we wore masks in the winter flu season, less people would die, that's true isnt it? So the people who are wearing masks for Covid will wear them every year, for flu, from now on?
Yes, I suppose wearing a mask during flu season would make us safer. But we have the option of getting a flu shot instead. No such thing exists for Covid19...yet. So for this new, less understood virus, wearing a mask is our best option.

I really don't think people will start wearing masks for every virus under the sun. Well, except for hypochondriacs. There's always the exception.

whitequeen20

Post by whitequeen20 »

fairydandy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49 pm
whitequeen20 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am The point is though that if you no longer have immunity and you catch it again, even if it doesn't make you ill, you can still pass it on to other people, vulnerable people who are now being told it's ok to go out and encouraged to get back to work etc. Masks protect others more than they do you so even if you aren't bothered for yourself I'd assume you wouldn't want to be responsible for potentially infecting others who might subsequently die or be seriously ill for a long time.
I would have understood it more if this had happened four months ago. It's bizarre that now it's under control, we are going backwards. Last week I shopped quite cheerfully with the hand gels and the distancing, with no apparent risk to others, now t's apparently not safe to do that? It doesn't make sense.

I asked this before, but I wilĺ ask it again. Should we now adopt this policy every winter because the flu is likely to kill 20,000 people? The disease might differ and it might be less severe, but the point that we are all infecting others with it is exactly the same.
Well I agree it's ridiculous that we weren't told to wear masks from the start, IMO (just my theory) they knew there was a shortage so they made out there was no reason to wear them unless you were a medical professional despite some other countries wearing them. Also they were telling everyone over 70, anyone with certain health issues etc (the vulnerable) to isolate and not go out to shops etc and the rest of us were limited to what we could do so there was in theory less risk when we did shop etc. Now they've pretty much opened everything up including pubs, told everyone to get back to work and said the vulnerable can now go out so there's more people out and about and in theory more risk since more people will be in contact with each other.

Someone already mentioned there's a vaccine for the flu and there are treatments plus they know exactly what the flu causes but this virus is still a mystery, they're still finding people who don't get the typical symptoms and some are ill months later with all sorts of random symptoms whereas the flu is pretty self limiting for most people. I suspect we're going to be told to social distance and wear masks until a vaccine is found judging by how things are going, we only opened things up two or three weeks ago and already there's spikes in various places, it's clearly not going away any time soon.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Also, you don’t get the flu, when you ’re sitting 2 tables away in a restaurant from an infected person. But the chances you catch the Corona virus are high, when you’re sitting indoors with not enough ventilation.

I don’t know the regulations in your countries. In Berlin (every Bundesland/State in Germany has it’s own regulations) we have to wear masks inside of public buildings, shops and public transport (since mid April). Outside we need to keep a distance of 1,5 meters. Everything is back open, but with new safety rules.
Shops, Restaurants ect have to pay high fines, when they are caught with not following the regulations. If you’re caught in public transport without a mask, you can get a fine of 50-500€ (depending on how often you’re caught). Since the police is controlling these rules in our Underground, almost every one is wearing a mask. But that only happened after too many people stopped wearing the mask in June.

Since I‘m currently enjoying my vacation in Denmark, I somehow feel like Corona isn’t existing. No masks required. Everything is completely open. The only rule is to keep 1 meter distance and disinfect your hands, when you’re entering a supermarket. I‘m still cautious, but it’s great to be here for now. And since the beach in this area is so empty that we can easily keep a distance of 1 km or more to the next person, I‘m sure, I‘m not catching anything but maybe a sniff from the cool, rainy and windy weather. :lol:

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

I’ve tried to avoid commenting on the Cove because of previous difficulties, but here goes...

When it was everywhere, masks were pointless. There was even a concern that the frequent face-touching it encourages could render them counter-productive. If it’s everywhere, masks won’t help much. Strict lockdown was all that could be done.

Now that community transmission is pretty low, these measures become more important. It’s not a case of too little too late. It’s exactly the right time to introduce these measures.

That said, they also have a huge PR component to them. At the start, pre-lockdown, I wore a mask when out running, not because I thought it would protect me/others (it wouldn’t), but because I thought that if the gangs of youths hanging out along my usual running route saw a young white guy wearing a mask, they might start to take it seriously. At that point, masks were just something Asian people wore and were subsequently subjected to mocking. By the way, they’ve been wearing masks in airports and other public places in Asia since SARS.

As for the way forward, I’m largely apathetic. I won’t be judging anyone for not wearing one; equally if people want to wear them I think it’s probably sensible, albeit possibly an abundance of caution. If it’s legally enforced then so be it, even when it’s stupid (eg on a ferry).

Incidentally I had a cotton mask that I bought in a polluted country 3 years ago and I think I lost it today because it was in my back pocket when I threw my clothes into the laundry at work. That made me sad.