If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Other music, TV, films and general interest

Would you wear a mask If it was mandatory?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Yes
88%
No
6%
Maybe
6%

Total votes: 17

Sir Didymus

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Sir Didymus »

fairydandy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:40 pm Dids, this all went wrong when you reacted to the term 'snowflake'. A term you have continually used since reacting to it. You introduced the 'gammon' term, a term that was once again stereotyping me into the box you have for me.
Afraid you've misinterpreted me there. My wording could have been clearer. I wasn't implying you were a 'gammon'. I was saying that 'snowflake' is a term used by 'gammon' and I didn't think you'd fall into using 'snowflake'. I wasn't calling you a 'gammon', honest, guvnor.
fairydandy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:40 pmJust to be clear, the only 'game' in this thread from me was saying that I wouldn't wear a mask in the shops, when I already had done. Everything else I said was real opinion. Those opinions won't be accepted of course, because as I have said, there is no tolerance on QOL for differing views. Its all mainstream opinion on here, or at least majority opinion that matters, despite people having some pseudo-tolerances for just about anyone who differs.
Prior to "serious discussion section" of the forum merging with "non-Queen entertainment" one, I hardly ever stepped into these threads after around 2007 because I didn't want to fall into those arguments anymore. So if you're assuming I'm one of those people, then sorry, but I've not done that to you on here for at least a decade, and back then I was even more arrogant and annoying than I am now.
fairydandy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:40 pmLook at Brexit, if you voted for that and supported that, you were nothing short of run off of the board, to the point that only a few dare comment in it. On here and in real life Brexit supporter = halfwit.
I genuinely believe that there were - and are - lots of intelligent people who voted for Brexit for rational, sensible reasons that should have been more articulately discussed in the media. I also know that their rational voices were drowned out by xenophobic idiots who hopped on the Brexit bandwagon and turned it into the tribal war that it became.

Personally, I think we were better off in the EU. It wasn't a perfect relationship but it seems to have been the better of two evils, and I'm still a little sad to think that all the warning signs about Brexit seemed to be proving to be true (at least until Covid threw a spanner in the works, making it almost impossible to make sense of anything!). And at the time, I was definitely angry with people who couldn't articulate WHY they supported Brexit other than saying they did... I wanted rational arguments, and I got uncertainty. But that doesn't mean they weren't there.

Regardless, this is a massive side-step... the thing I can't get my head around is this kind of thing:
fairydandy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:39 pmI used that term deliberately so that you could carry on stereotyping, as you all do. I knew that it would cause a reaction, just as all of my deliberate posts in this thread have done.

It's like touching the blue touch paper and watching the fireworks go off. I give you all what you all think of me, so it's quite funny. It couldn't be further from the truth, but it makes you all feel better.

The only one who is angry is you. Still if I was your age and had been stuck indoors since March, I think I would be angry. Some of us kept working and paying taxes.
That's irrational, troll-like behaviour that I really didn't expect of you. Trying to incite arguments... I can't work out if you're just bored or actually enjoy all this.

And I maintain that to insinuate some kind of superiority over me because you thought from my posts I'd not been "working and paying taxes" was downright fucking petty, and a bit shitty towards anyone who HAS been furloughed or made redundant as a result of this crisis. When I told you that wasn't the case for me and I'd been busier than ever before, you just moved onto your next line. But that's fine - those taxes you pay go towards my wage every month, and the work we actually do all day, so cheers for that!

I'm genuinely over this now. I'm not angry or getting worked up about it. I just think it's all rather ridiculous, and a little sad that someone who is a genuinely nice person going into Troll Mode because of some perceived victimisation you've apparently received. All these years and QOL hasn't changed a sodding bit, has it?

Kes

Post by Kes »

As regards Brexit, the only scenario I didn't want, was what Corbyn was peddling, ie we're out of having Euro MPs, or a say in how it's run, but we would still be "in" in all other respects.

If we were going to do that, then what would be the point of "leaving"? Still the same rules, still the same contributions, still the same common borders, and customs policies, still the same quality standards, the same beaurocracy, etc. Just about all the collective reasons that people voted to leave.

The referendum asked leave or remain, not some f*cking halfway house, and that's what pissed me off at the time. The thought that guy "might" get into power, and totally screw up on the directive given to him by the majority.

PS. Yes, I voted to remain, but value the power of democracy over my own personal opinions. Once the country voted out, out it was, and the people who started f*cking it up, were different groups of MPs, who were choosing between three issues, leave, remain, and half in/half out, instead of the two in the referendum.

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

In the modern world, people jump on the latest bandwagon's all of the time. They support 'black lives matter', LGBGT[add latest initial here], the rights of this minority group, of that minority group...and yeah, that's all cool, but as soon as someone who isn't in one of those boxes wants to make a point of their own, it's just dismissed as racist, or trolling, or homophobic blah di blah. Everyone has rights, everyone that is, apart from the majority who seemingly have no say at all. The snowflakes pride themselves on their tolerance, but in reality they don't really have any, not unless you are in a minority.

I told a fib about not wearing masks deliberately, because I knew that the above mentioned intolerance would be on show...and it was, in abundance. If someone told me they didn't want to wear a mask in a shop, I honestly wouldn't give a damn, each to their own. In fact I would admire their free spirit...

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

One of the most arrogant and ignorant members of the U.S. Congress is now a victim of Karma! Just yesterday Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas was at an oversight hearing regarding Attorney General William Barr’s activities and was proudly not wearing a mask. Today he was supposed to accompany Trump on Air Force One for a political visit to Texas. He got a fast tracked test for Covid-19 and oh my — it was POSITIVE !!!

Kes

Post by Kes »

Surely you should be disappointed by that? This guy actually had the potential to give Trump an experience of what it feels like to get infected by a "fake virus".

Getting over it gave Bo Jo a whole new perspective on Covid 19.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Kes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:53 pm Surely you should be disappointed by that? This guy actually had the potential to give Trump an experience of what it feels like to get infected by a "fake virus".

Yep, Teflon Don escapes again!

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

carolb57 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:03 pm
Kes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:53 pm Surely you should be disappointed by that? This guy actually had the potential to give Trump an experience of what it feels like to get infected by a "fake virus".

Yep, Teflon Don escapes again!
Can we keep the Trump stuff to the news thread?

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

carolb57 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:49 pm One of the most arrogant and ignorant members of the U.S. Congress is now a victim of Karma! Just yesterday Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas was at an oversight hearing regarding Attorney General William Barr’s activities and was proudly not wearing a mask. Today he was supposed to accompany Trump on Air Force One for a political visit to Texas. He got a fast tracked test for Covid-19 and oh my — it was POSITIVE !!!
Wow, you are saying it's karma because a person didn't wear a mask :shock:

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

This thread is now only missing the line "that's how Nazi Germany started"...

Oh wait.

Sorted.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

fairydandy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:21 pm In the modern world, people jump on the latest bandwagon's all of the time. They support 'black lives matter', LGBGT[add latest initial here].
The ‘T’ worries me a bit. Quite clearly I have no idea what it is like to be transgender, and the last thing these people need is a straight white male giving his opinion, but I am concerned that in 20 years time we’ll look back at transgenderism as an experiment that went horribly wrong. I think even expressing those concerns exposes one to the risk of being ‘cancelled’ (it happens a lot to JK Rowling). Of course all people should be treated with kindness and compassion, and the precedent set by the way homosexuals used to be treated as mentally ill means that any psychiatric approach to sufferers of gender dysphoria is rightly viewed with intense suspicion. But I have a nagging feeling that for many of them, psychiatric help is indeed what they really need.