If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Other music, TV, films and general interest

Would you wear a mask If it was mandatory?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Yes
88%
No
6%
Maybe
6%

Total votes: 17

Kes

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Kes »

While people were busy clapping, and "protecting" the NHS, and trying to restock the PPE for them, care homes were suffering through the back door. Nearly half of the people who've died in the UK from Covid, were in care homes. The vunerable that we were supposed to be shielding.

We should have priotised both, in equal amounts.

That's a situation that grow a much bigger voice, when this is eventually all over.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

fairydandy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:56 pm An excellent, intelligent post, hard to argue against.

I should care more about this virus, I know I should, because deep down I am a caring sort of a person, but the reality is that I just don't, I have to be honest here. Maybe if it struck closer to home I would care more, but right now it doesn't mean much to me.

I think if those happy-clapping days for the NHS workers return I will simply kill myself. It wasn't real, it had a touch of reality TV about it somehow.
I got sick of reading posts from senior nurses asking people to call for them. I know the BUS was dealing with something unprecedented but asking for praise? Not for me thanks.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Clapping for the NHS was so 'Facebook' - a massive opportunity for the public to virtue signal , coopted by the government to divert attention from the chronic under investment and mismanagement.

If only we could make masks a trigger for virtue signalling...

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Double post. It wasn't worth saying twice!

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

"We do not recommend wearing facemasks for general wearing".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-521531 ... al-wearing

Good, but I still don't see the point in shops either.

Innuendoes
Location: Uh-Oh, You're In Trouble, Something's Come Along And It's Burst Your Bubble

Post by Innuendoes »

NO CLUE how accurate this is or if it's true. Copied from a friend.

Mask wearers beware...

A caller to a radio talk show recently shared that his wife was hospitalized and told she had COVID and only a couple of days left to live. A doctor friend suggested she be tested for legionnaires disease because she wore the same mask every day all day long. Turns out it WAS legionnaires disease from the moisture and bacteria in her mask. She was given antibiotics and within two days was better. WHAT IF these "spikes" in COVID are really something else due to improper mask wearing??

Copied and pasted

Wash those masks after every use! What can it hurt?!

Frank

Post by Frank »

Innuendoes wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:47 am NO CLUE how accurate this is or if it's true. Copied from a friend.

Mask wearers beware...

A caller to a radio talk show recently shared that his wife was hospitalized and told she had COVID and only a couple of days left to live. A doctor friend suggested she be tested for legionnaires disease because she wore the same mask every day all day long. Turns out it WAS legionnaires disease from the moisture and bacteria in her mask. She was given antibiotics and within two days was better. WHAT IF these "spikes" in COVID are really something else due to improper mask wearing??

Copied and pasted

Regarding the story you shared, I'm suspicious, but won't dismiss it entirely. It seems absolutely plausible that someone could get very sick just by using the same mask for weeks or months on end. Common sense, right? I mean, you don't wear the same underwear for days, weeks, or months on end. Granted, you'll probably be safe as long as you don't have any breaks in the skin, but the odor after two or more days of discharge should be reason enough to do the laundry. It's fucking gross. With a mask, you're literally breathing in that shit. I lose faith in humanity with each passing day. smh

Frank

Post by Frank »

On a personal note, I'll need to wear a face mask when I start work again in a few weeks. I'm all for health and safety, but I'm sitting here feeling nervous about having that facehugger on me for eight hours straight. I feel claustrophobic wearing it just at the grocery store for an hour at a time. But for eight hours with only a 30 minute lunch break? Fuck me. I don't know how people do it. I've been lucky so far.

Innuendoes
Location: Uh-Oh, You're In Trouble, Something's Come Along And It's Burst Your Bubble

Post by Innuendoes »

Frank wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:35 am
Innuendoes wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:47 am NO CLUE how accurate this is or if it's true. Copied from a friend.

Mask wearers beware...

Copied and pasted

Regarding the story you shared, I'm suspicious, but won't dismiss it entirely. It seems absolutely plausible that someone could get very sick just by using the same mask for weeks or months on end. Common sense, right? I mean, you don't wear the same underwear for days, weeks, or months on end. Granted, you'll probably be safe as long as you don't have any breaks in the skin, but the odor after two or more days of discharge should be reason enough to do the laundry. It's fucking gross. With a mask, you're literally breathing in that shit. I lose faith in humanity with each passing day. smh
I am suspicious of everything right now, either way. A friend of mine posted this. I completely trust this guy to be telling the truth. He had a few symptoms and told the boss at work who told him he had to go get tested. Since his doctor is unavailable until next week, he went to the ER. This is the part of his post that is upsetting. He even took a photo of his paperwork from the hospital and posted that online, too, showing he's got COVID-19
At the ER, was given a blood antibody test and a nasal swab test. The antibody test was negative. Results back from the other due in 5-7 business days.

I didn't look at my discharge papers until I got home. Apparently they have already diagnosed me with COVID-19. Now am I still counted as a positive case in reported statistics even if the swab test comes back negative???
I am hearing and reading a lot of this and people saying others, such as a family member, were tested after they died of something else like a stroke, a heart attack of died in a car accident. Their tests came back as positive for Covid so that's what was put on their death certificates even though that's not what they were hospitalized for, nor did they have any symptoms of Covid at all. Very strange and nothing makes sense, anymore.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Frank wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:44 am On a personal note, I'll need to wear a face mask when I start work again in a few weeks. I'm all for health and safety, but I'm sitting here feeling nervous about having that facehugger on me for eight hours straight. I feel claustrophobic wearing it just at the grocery store for an hour at a time. But for eight hours with only a 30 minute lunch break? Fuck me. I don't know how people do it. I've been lucky so far.
Don't stress about it in advance if at all possible. That will bring on the anxiety before you even go back to work and may make it even more difficult for you to wear that mask. The mask is nothing but a mask - cloth or whatever. Try to talk yourself out of worrying about it, telling yourself it's not so bad and it will be over by the time you get off work, etc. Try to think positive rather than negative thoughts. I know where you are coming from with this and anxiety as I have suffered with it all my life and know now, later in life, what makes it worse and what helps. Maybe that comes with age and just knowing you didn't die from doing XYZ before, no matter how many times you did it or went through it. I hope I am not sounding insensitive as I surely don't mean to but I am also not very good with words so please forgive me if this upsets you. It was not meant that way.