If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Other music, TV, films and general interest

Would you wear a mask If it was mandatory?

Poll runs till Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Yes
88%
No
6%
Maybe
6%

Total votes: 17

Sir Didymus

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Sir Didymus »

Technically a non-binary voice here, but the artist Jinkx Monsoon summed it all up better than I can. Love their work, but maybe don't watch this video if you're IN work. :lol:

There's so much noise in the world today
For whatever reason we all get to have our say
But respect for which everybody begs
Is hard to find with people so concerned with what's between our legs

Now in the past I've tried confusion it's true
But what's the fun of living life pink or blue?
I say just tell them all to shut up
And just be you

Now if I'm at the movies
And I'm standing in line
I might hear some guy shout out
Saying "Girl you look fine"
Well I may think it's rude
But that old attitude
Makes me laugh

Or I'm on the phone
And I'm talking so bold
And that operator says to me
"Ma'am, please hold"
Well I know it's my voice
It's never been a choice
For me

Well I may sound like a dame
And my curves make 'em cry
But there is more man to me than meets the eye
No I'm not either or
What a bore
I'm just me

Now if I'm at the doctor
For a little old check up
And he's says I've marked the wrong box
And I wanna yell STEP UP
Well, I take it in stride
It won't change what's inside
Of me

Or if I'm at airport security
And they send in some chick
To start patting me down
Until she notices my dic-tion
And my grammar correct
I am what I elect
To be

Well you can call me uncouth
Call me in a pinch, hitter
You can call me Miss or Mister
Just don't call me a Quitter
I've got nothing to prove
Doll or dude
I'm just me

What does it matter if you're a girl or a guy?
What good's a label do?
Don't let them tell you that it's do or die
I say buck up
They're the fuck up
Don't let them put the blame on you

We're both the beauty and the beast
We're the genie and the lamp
We're the tramp and we're the lady
Though I'm mainly just the tramp

Blowing up the binary
I'm a stiletto in a size twelve shoe
Enjoy the show and stick around
Or screw
Yeah there's nothing they can do
Darling it's true
Cos I'm just
Me

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

action wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:48 am
I don't disagree with all of this.

you see, the thing is, all of this worked pretty well until the last couple of years. if you wanted a sex operation, that was possible, but it was hard to achieve, and it should have been. Because precisely; the decision should not be taken lightly.

now, "transgenderism" is overly mediatised. The step to go ahead with surgery has been significantly lowered. I am sure that now, many more people will take the step for surgery. Because it is "ok". But is is "ok", not because the patient came to this conclusion all by himself. No, the media told him, it is ok. Good or bad intentions from the media doesn't really matter: the step is easier now. This is the part that's worrying.

Indeed, the decision should not be taken lightly. So I feel for this reason, it is wrong for the media to interefere with this decision by making sex operations.... fashionable.
There's a fine line between 'fashionable' and just having visibility. We've seen a rise in LGBTQAI+ representation and that means all of these issues, that were always there and are absolutely not a new thing, are suddenly in the frame of reference for straight people who suddenly have an opinion on them and HAVE to make it clear they're not okay with it!

And that's a similar situation to "don't ask don't tell" about homosexuality in the army, or footballers having to conceal their sexuality etc. The big argument seems to focus on if we allow trans people to transition what's to stop them raping women in toilets... ignoring the fact that we've been letting trans people transition for decades, and IF there's ever been a case of a trans person raping a woman in a toilet, it's an isolated incident. We don't assume that all men are rapists if a man rapes a woman, so why do we point the finger at trans people on a whim like this?

Simply put, I think it's fear of the unknown. I have a good friend who I love dearly, but they DETEST drag queens. They can't process it in their mind, and are baffled why anyone would enjoy watching them perform. Doesn't make them a bad person, but it does mean there's a lot of thought processes in their heads they should probably unpack about why they're so offended by them.

I myself, am pansexual. It's not a new term. The label was first coined about over a century ago, which shows how long these things have been buried under the mainstream, and it's only in recent years there's finally some degree of representation starting to bubble up. Yet, I regularly see people saying that pansexuality doesn't exist. That it's just a media fad. I've had bisexuals, thinking it invalidates them, tell me it's biphobic AND transphobic to say you're pansexual because it erases them. And I get straight people all the time failing to understand it, to the point that for many years I just said I was bisexual because it was easier for them to understand (and still judge me negatively for it), but I've always just known this approach makes more sense to me.

I was recently filling in a form and it gave me the option to put my sexuality as "Straight", "Gay/Lesbian", "Bisexual" or "Prefer not to say". Not even an "Other" category - I'm told there that if I don't fall into three neat little boxes I shouldn't say a word. And believe me, I've lost count of how many forms I've seen that list gender as "Male"/"Female" and no other options whatsoever. Funnily enough on that occasion it was work related, so I spoke to one of our union reps about getting it changed, and they actually looked at me incredulously and said: "WHAT EVEN IS PANSEXUAL? I don't understand any of this." The automatic guilt that brings is fucking horrible, and it's only a fraction of what I think trans people have to go through on a daily basis.

lsr

Post by lsr »

Well, on the subject of filling in forms, what is a male-to-female transsexual going to put down as their sex when they’re filling out a COVID risk assessment at work?

Bet they put male. They may feel female most of the time, but when their life is on the line I bet they’re happy to go back to being male.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

lsr wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 am
Well, on the subject of filling in forms, what is a male-to-female transsexual going to put down as their sex when they’re filling out a COVID risk assessment at work?

Bet they put male. They may feel female most of the time, but when their life is on the line I bet they’re happy to go back to being male.
If I have to fill out a form in an emergency and I only have the option of "Straight"/"Gay", then I'm going to just pick one because I have to, not because it's the truth.

But I do think that if they've transitioned, they'll put female. Because trans women ARE women, and trans men ARE men. Simple.

lsr

Post by lsr »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:29 am
lsr wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 am

If I have to fill out a form in an emergency and I only have the option of "Straight"/"Gay", then I'm going to just pick one because I have to, not because it's the truth.

But I do think that if they've transitioned, they'll put female. Because trans women ARE women, and trans men ARE men. Simple.
I bet transgender women have the same COVID risk profile as men.

(Men are about twice as likely to die of COVID as women are)

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

"I bet" probably isn't the best way to make such claims, tbh.

Got another song for you that's very appropriate for this thread, this one from two straight white men who understand how this works.

lsr

Post by lsr »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:41 am
"I bet" probably isn't the best way to make such claims, tbh.
So if you disagree, how do you think that works?

Does the gender reassignment surgery magically reverse whatever it is about being male that increases the risk of dying from covid?

I can’t think of any plausible explanation for that and would be willing to put money on being right, hence “I bet”.

Furthermore, there’s a precedent for this. Transgender women can and do get prostate cancer. The reassignment surgery and subsequent wishing away of biological fact doesn’t magically eliminate the risk of this male-only disease. And as much as they demand (and deserve) to have their status as women recognised, they’d be the first to complain if their diagnosis was missed.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9517309068

lsr

Post by lsr »

Okay so there’s not much in the literature about the risk of covid in transgender women because the stats are massively confounded by the fact that transgender people are around 50 times more likely to have HIV and also to suffer from various other health problems (including psychiatric problems, which is the apparently controversial statement I made that started this whole tangent).

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=e ... ovid&btnG=

There’s some vague rumblings that oestrogen therapy may be protective though. There might be something to that. You’d expect the sex difference to disappear post menopause though, which doesn’t appear to be the case, but again there are confounding factors eg smoking.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

I don't disagree. I just wanted to keep away from "I bet..." ;)

What amazes me about all of this though is that in spite of all the problems with financial nightmares, societal pressures, and physical and mental health conditions being heightened by transitioning, trans people still want to do it. And maybe that's because they know it's the right thing to do for them, and it's really their business, not ours? :|

lsr

Post by lsr »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:11 am
I don't disagree. I just wanted to keep away from "I bet..." ;)

What amazes me about all of this though is that in spite of all the problems with financial nightmares, societal pressures, and physical and mental health conditions being heightened by transitioning, trans people still want to do it. And maybe that's because they know it's the right thing to do for them, and it's really their business, not ours? :|
Depends on how paternalistic we want to be. Vulnerable people with psychiatric co-morbidities should be protected from the possible adverse outcomes that their decisions might lead to. Ideally that should be done in a way that doesn’t deprive them of their autonomy. It’s difficult. What did people with gender dysphoria do 500 years ago?