If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Other music, TV, films and general interest

Would you wear a mask If it was mandatory?

Poll runs till Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Yes
88%
No
6%
Maybe
6%

Total votes: 17

action

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by action »

some people have this disorder that makes them want to chop off their limbs. they feel better when they do it. should science help with that?

some people want to commit suicide. Should doctors help?

there are all sorts of funky stuff that people "want", including self mutilation.

I see no other justification other than "they feel better afterwards".

lsr

Post by lsr »

action wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:26 am
some people have this disorder that makes them want to chop off their limbs. they feel better when they do it. should science help with that?
It’s been done
Has certainly been done

action

Post by action »

lsr wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:29 am
action wrote:
It’s been done
Has certainly been done
if we're going to come up with a moral theory that allows sex change, then I feel this theory can be challenged in the light of these other procedures.

A moral theory on this issue is really needed. Media coverage / culture really isn't enough. The theory should be consistent and not self-contradictory.

I believe, the rationale of those "pro" sex changes can not stand this test. It is too focused on transgenders, because that is "the thing" of today in the media. Chopping off limbs is vastly less sympathetic, so that's not being "ok'd" because "they" think it's wrong.

Who suddenly decided it was "ok" to encourage people to have sex changes, to not be afraid? What group / person is this mysterious moral leader? it's all pretty vague. And because a coherent moral theory is absent, it can not be challenged either.

It's all part of "culture", but culture can change with the wind. Moral theories are far more trustable.

lsr

Post by lsr »

action wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:38 am
lsr wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:29 am
action wrote:
It’s been done
Has certainly been done
if we're going to come up with a moral theory that allows sex change, then I feel this theory can be challenged in the light of these other procedures.

A moral theory on this issue is really needed. Media coverage / culture really isn't enough. The theory should be consistent and not self-contradictory.

I believe, the rationale of those "pro" sex changes can not stand this test. It is too focused on transgenders, because that is "the thing" of today in the media. Chopping off limbs is vastly less sympathetic, so that's not being "ok'd" because "they" think it's wrong.

Who suddenly decided it was "ok" to encourage people to have sex changes, to not be afraid? What group / person is this mysterious moral leader? it's all pretty vague. And because a coherent moral theory is absent, it can not be challenged either.

It's all part of "culture", but culture can change with the wind. Moral theories are far more trustable.
Yes, I think I agree.

I think that the people asking for gender reassignment are doing so because they are living in a society that enables it and are part of a community that encourages it.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

I completely disagree with that, but I also don't have the energy to try and change your minds. :?

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

lsr wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:48 am
Yes, I think I agree.

I think that the people asking for gender reassignment are doing so because they are living in a society that enables it and are part of a community that encourages it.
I agree.

Incidentally, someone mentioned drag-queens. Each to their own and all that, but they seem to be so aggressive, so exaggerated, so full of themselves. I mean that's ok, whatever, but it just seems to be an act to shock others and to behave like some sort of an outrageous prat. It's rather like camp gay people, that seems to be an act too. It really doesn't further the cause.

Was Freddie acting camp, or was he camp? Hmm.

action

Post by action »

fairydandy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:47 pm
lsr wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:48 am
Yes, I think I agree.

I agree.

Incidentally, someone mentioned drag-queens. Each to their own and all that, but they seem to be so aggressive, so exaggerated, so full of themselves. I mean that's ok, whatever, but it just seems to be an act to shock others and to behave like some sort of an outrageous prat. It's rather like camp gay people, that seems to be an act too. It really doesn't further the cause.

Was Freddie acting camp, or was he camp? Hmm.
:P

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

action wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:00 pm
:twisted:

action

Post by action »

fairydandy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:05 pm
action wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:00 pm
:twisted:
what happened to you, fd? when are you going to post a funny thread again, like the old days? These days, you're posting predictable by-the-numbers threads that fail to provoke any sort of attention. You're living off old glory, you're more and more becoming like the adam lambert of QOL. what once was wonderfully wicked, has turned into broadway and cruiseship ambiance. for christ sake, this ain't no old man's care home. the fire seems gone...

as the matters stand, I see no other option than to proclaim myself as the new fairydandy :cry:

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

Those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance forever and a day....

Pah, I like being bitter and twisted... ;) You can have the fairydandy name when I die. That’s likely to be in the next 30 years. ;)