If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Other music, TV, films and general interest

Would you wear a mask If it was mandatory?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Yes
88%
No
6%
Maybe
6%

Total votes: 17

action

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by action »

fairydandy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:00 pm Those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance forever and a day....

Pah, I like being bitter and twisted... ;) You can have the fairydandy name when I die. That’s likely to be in the next 30 years. ;)
"action" is a better name ;)

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Sir Didymus wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:11 pm I completely disagree with that, but I also don't have the energy to try and change your minds. :?
Well you’re clearly come at it from the perspective of being unquestionably right, because your goal would be to try to change my mind rather than to try to bring everyone, including yourself, a little bit further forward in the debate.

True autonomy doesn’t really exist. Even the most headstrong of people have hopes and dreams that are shaped by the society they’re born into. Career and family aspirations are utterly absurd if you take a step back and think about them. Sure, they work for many people, but there’s nothing intrinsic to nature that says that’s the way we should be living life. We’re conditioned by the society our predecessors have created and we continue to create it and in doing so condition the next generation.

I wasn’t being flippant when I asked what people with gender dysphoria did 500 years ago. I suspect the condition was unrecognised and almost certainly untreated. I doubt its sufferers bemoaned the fact that they couldn’t have gender reassignment surgery because such things were inconceivable to them.

We now live in a society with gender roles that have become very rigid over the last few centuries, and despite recent efforts to change that, there hasn’t been much change. Men want to be super masculine and women want to be super feminine. Look at the protein powder industry and the aesthetics industry and how much money goes into exaggerating gender characteristics.

So it’s not surprising that some people find this unsettling and feel that they don’t fit in. We can’t all be alpha males wrestling sabre toothed tigers, or size zero supermodels with big red lips and ample breasts, nor should we want to be.

And quite rightly, we have a growing LGB community and increasing acceptance of different sexualities.

Combine all these factors with modern medicine and surgical techniques and you create a fertile ground for people to think major disfiguring surgery is the solution to their problems.

And some of them might be right.

But this is a new game and we’re jumping in with both feet without stopping to think about the long term consequences.

action

Post by action »

didy, I stopped wondering "who am I?" a long time ago. what does it all matter?

The question implies that there is a hidden truth to be found within us, a character / sexuality that was there when we were born, and which we have to discover. I wondered those questions myself when I was in high school, but today I don't really see the point in it.

we're of such cosmical insignificance in the great scheme of things, that I'd dare to question that there is a "you" to be found anyway.

We're made up of flesh and bone, nothing more nothing less. We're an inherently natural phenomenon, and we have our place in the food chain and on earth. No one said we were anything more than that, no one said that there is something special to be found in any of us

.... so why keep searching?

And when we supposedly have found our real selves "hey, I found it, I'm actually a woman!", then why should it even matter to bring this newfound understanding to the world? Why the need to chop off your penis and get breasts? I mean really, why would one even want to do that? What could it possible bring to the world, to yourself and your role in this world? To think that doing all that makes you a woman is fundamentally an illusion. It's just a banal procedure, and you're just doing harm to the body that nature gave you.

if transgenders need to be "helped" then I'd advocate psychological help. Because ultimately their desires are in their heads. They have decided that there aren't a man, but a woman, but that's a bit like denying the light of the sun. it is futile, it is untrue.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

I find myself agreeing with action again.

The desire to change your body to reflect who you think you are is materialism pushed to its extreme. When you die, your body isn’t you. In fact even whilst you’re alive your body isn’t really you. Our society is clearly deeply attached to the physical and I suspect that’s why so many of us are in such turmoil.

...maybe Kes was right a few pages ago. Become Buddhist. They don’t get stressed out by this shit.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Fuck. I might be right about something

Honest guvnor, I didn't mean to do it.

Ultimately, although religion is a person's free choice, then so is making the decision to change gender. Whether a state funded medical system should be paying for this, is on a par with ladies having breast enlargements on the NHS. What nature has given you, can be a major issue to some people, but despite whatever pyschological issues you might have, there's a definite resistance to funding boob enhancements on the NHS, probably because someone thinks it would open up the floodgates, and they consider these to be "cosmetic", and not the subject of psychological stress.

Btw. If someone has the resources to fund the ops and treatment themselves, fill your boots. However, I'm not sure there should be such disparity between the two scenarios above when it comes to state funding.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Let me put it this way. Let's say, hypotheitically, I have an overwelming pathological desire to get a masters degree in astro-physics. It means the f*cking world to me. Should I get a free university course?

No, I am what I am, and just have to accept it, unless I can enable myself to be what I want to be.

It's OK for you young f*ckers, your starting reference point in your beliefs, is in a different place to mine. I'm able to adapt from those values instilled in my childhood, but only so far, I'm sorry to say.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Take the BLM movement. I genuinely empathise with anyone who is mistreated or persecuted over the colour of their skin.

I went to the second largest comprehensive school in England, and all the way through my school years, I only ever saw a total of two other kids of colour.

I see re-enactments on TV of soldiers going off to war in France in 1939, and they have to have at least one in ten of the people playing soldiers, from a BAME background.

Should we be rewriting 1930s history, to fit in with 21st Century representation? I know it's devisive, but when the Normans invaded in 1066, how many black people lived in England? I'd be amazed if there was one.

I'd like to think I'm not racist, growing up with two mixed ethniticity cousins, who I didn't see as any different to everyone else.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Kes wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 pm
I suppose the counter to that is that in 1066 they weren’t speaking modern English either, and probably weren’t all just shy of 6ft.

Kes

Post by Kes »

And they had horns on the sides of their heads, like the Money Supermarket bull.

The main reason we have a BAME community, was because of Imperialism, colonialism, and taking over, asset stripping, and running countries all over the world. It created diversiveness everywhere, so when those countries became independent, we had a responsibility to allow those that had alienated themselves, by helping our ancestors, to rehome in this country.

Kes

Post by Kes »

lsr wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:37 pm
Kes wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 pm
I suppose the counter to that is that in 1066 they weren’t speaking modern English either, and probably weren’t all just shy of 6ft.
They were either Anglo Saxon, Northern French, or leftovers from the Vikings, and Roman legions. That'd pretty much sum up the ancestory of British people 1000 years ago.

Long before we got stuck up our own arses, and tried to conquer the world.