If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Other music, TV, films and general interest

Would you wear a mask If it was mandatory?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Yes
88%
No
6%
Maybe
6%

Total votes: 17

Mona Lisa

Re: If wearing masks were mandatory, would you wear one?

Post by Mona Lisa »

in Brussels it's everywhere :/ This is too much I think

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

couple of points...

You'd think anyone with asthma would avoid public places altogether, as a self-shielding measure....

A reminder - masks are not to protect the wearer. They're to protect everyone else FROM the wearer, in case they are infected but asymptomatic.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Generic username wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:28 pm couple of points...

You'd think anyone with asthma would avoid public places altogether, as a self-shielding measure....

A reminder - masks are not to protect the wearer. They're to protect everyone else FROM the wearer, in case they are infected but asymptomatic.
Well, they confer a degree of protection to both

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Elessar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:31 pm

Elessar, what is your recommendation for someone like me who has never ever had a flu shot and is worried about getting a reaction? They are pushing people to get it this year as a possible additional protection against Covid-19. Or would it be better to get the pneumonia shot instead? I have had neither one.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

carolb57 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 pm
Elessar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:31 pm

Elessar, what is your recommendation for someone like me who has never ever had a flu shot and is worried about getting a reaction? They are pushing people to get it this year as a possible additional protection against Covid-19. Or would it be better to get the pneumonia shot instead? I have had neither one.
Get all of them

The reaction will be a short flu-like illness for no more than 48 hours

Sure, you could be EXTREMELY unlucky and have an anaphylactic reaction and die, but you’re far more likely to die of the actual illness, especially if you’re high risk

Flu shot won’t protect you against covid BUT it’ll ease pressure on the hospitals, and there’s a theoretical possibility that co-infection with flu AND covid could be double-trouble, although I don’t believe that’s been borne out in the evidence thusfar

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Thanks, Elessar. I thought by asking that question you could help not only me but anyone else who is wondering about it. I have been very lucky so far but who knows what the future will bring.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

carolb57 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:09 pm Thanks, Elessar. I thought by asking that question you could help not only me but anyone else who is wondering about it. I have been very lucky so far but who knows what the future will bring.
I guess everyone has to make their own decisions and hopefully think about how those decisions affect others.

I’m pretty confident that if I get it I’ll be fine, and I also feel that if I’m NOT fine, maybe I shouldn’t be passing on my genes to the next generation. But I wouldn’t expect anyone else to adopt my thought process and will always do what I can to help people survive this virus.

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Looks like the UK government is making a hash of things again. Everything they are trying and also contemplating will not work. Early in the 2nd wave in Melbourne. The state government locked down a group of suburbs and tower blocks of flats. Minor restrictions were brought in and yet the virus spread through schools, meat works and aged care facilities. Wearing of masks and stage 3 lockdowns only slowed the spread. infections and deaths continued to rise. This is the 6th week of stage 4 lockdown and new cases are very low and deaths have reduced to single figures. The expectation is that by late November we will be almost back to normal.

The only way that the UK can even get close to having anywhere near a normal Christmas then Boris needs to introduce a severe lockdown for 4 to 6 weeks in the next week. If not, I am sad to say the virus will get out of control.

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Today, Melbourne received 2 new cases and 0 deaths. Lockdowns do work.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It seems if you catch it, and get over it, any immunity to it fades after about six months, so a vaccine's the only way, long term, that we're getting around the problem.

Places like Australia have done brilliantly keeping it at bay, and not letting it rip through their population. But they've only really done it, by reacting hard to it, and it then becomes how long you can put up with it.