Metallica Discussion: Metal up your a$$

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Frank

Metallica Discussion: Metal up your a$$

Post by Frank »

Metallica was my introduction to the world of heavy metal. I can remember riding in my sister's boyfriend's car on my way to school blasting the Black album. It was such a superb record. From there I explored their incredibly awesome first four records, Kill Em' All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and Justice For All. They truly were incredible records. Arguably, they have got too commercial in the 90s (certainly if Cliff were around it wouldn't have happened) but at least they were able to expand their sound and keep things interesting. The last Metallica album, Hardwired...To Self Destruct had the perfect sound production. Though the record was pretty long winded. They could have cut it down to just 10 tracks. But whatever, it's a pretty fucking solid record. And Spit Out The Bone is an instant classic and easily stands tall next to any of their masterpieces from the eighties. Surely I'm not alone in thinking Metallica are a treasured metal band.

Generic username

Re: Metallica Discussion: Metal up your a$$

Post by Generic username »

It's interesting - I was never into the more extreme metals, it was always the more commercial stuff for me growing up. Of course the Black album sort of met me half way! I was never a massive fan of the rest of the material, but I have sat through a Metallica concert every Tuesday for the last 5 months and some of it has definitely grown on me.

So, I went back to the studio recordings for stuff live Harvester and Seek & Destroy, and they were laughably thin sounding.

They should re-record them.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Generic username wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:52 pm It's interesting - I was never into the more extreme metals, it was always the more commercial stuff for me growing up. Of course the Black album sort of met me half way! I was never a massive fan of the rest of the material, but I have sat through a Metallica concert every Tuesday for the last 5 months and some of it has definitely grown on me.

So, I went back to the studio recordings for stuff live Harvester and Seek & Destroy, and they were laughably thin sounding.

Like you, I was never into the more extreme metal bands. Just not my scene and it does nothing for me. I'm not even particularly interested in the other 'big four bands' (Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer).- though I did meet Scott Ian at a Queen + AL concert in Vegas. For me, Metallica felt like the most accessible, thanks in no small part to the Black album.

Regarding those first few records, the only one I agree with you on sounding thin is And Justice For All. That shit is laughable. The band literally turned the bass parts all the way down in the final mix. So all you're getting is a lot of treble and nothing on the bottom. But Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets sound perfect to my ears. They're hard and heavy, and with Cliff Burton supporting the bottom end of their sound they were on fire. I think losing Cliff was detrimental to their mental stability,style, and impacted their sound tremendously. The band treated Jason Newsted horribly, and I would argue they removed his bass parts from AJFA just to break his balls even more. Childish. It's no wonder Jason, who really gave his heart and soul to the band, left them eventually.

It probably sounds like I hate James, Kirk, and Lars. But I don't. I'm a big fan. I realize they were really young when they lost Cliff and were trying to make sense of it all. And ultimately they came out the other side stronger than ever before. And a lot of those tunes from the Load and Reload albums helped make the band sound more eclectic. Not a bad quality and reminds me of Queen's willingness to evolve, even if not all their fans agree.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Frank wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 pm
Generic username wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:52 pm It's interesting - I was never into the more extreme metals, it was always the more commercial stuff for me growing up. Of course the Black album sort of met me half way! I was never a massive fan of the rest of the material, but I have sat through a Metallica concert every Tuesday for the last 5 months and some of it has definitely grown on me.

Like you, I was never into the more extreme metal bands. Just not my scene and it does nothing for me. I'm not even particularly interested in the other 'big four bands' (Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer).- though I did meet Scott Ian at a Queen + AL concert in Vegas. For me, Metallica felt like the most accessible, thanks in no small part to the Black album.

Regarding those first few records, the only one I agree with you on sounding thin is And Justice For All. That shit is laughable. The band literally turned the bass parts all the way down in the final mix. So all you're getting is a lot of treble and nothing on the bottom. But Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets sound perfect to my ears. They're hard and heavy, and with Cliff Burton supporting the bottom end of their sound they were on fire. I think losing Cliff was detrimental to their mental stability,style, and impacted their sound tremendously. The band treated Jason Newsted horribly, and I would argue they removed his bass parts from AJFA just to break his balls even more. Childish. It's no wonder Jason, who really gave his heart and soul to the band, left them eventually.

It probably sounds like I hate James, Kirk, and Lars. But I don't. I'm a big fan. I realize they were really young when they lost Cliff and were trying to make sense of it all. And ultimately they came out the other side stronger than ever before. And a lot of those tunes from the Load and Reload albums helped make the band sound more eclectic. Not a bad quality and reminds me of Queen's willingness to evolve, even if not all their fans agree.
I don’t hate them but they’re dicks. They were also the wrong band to go after Napster. That made them look like money hungry pricks. Definitely not how they started out.

action

Post by action »

kill 'em all is infinitely listenable, so many great riffs 🎸🎸🎸🎸

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

action wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:55 pm kill 'em all is infinitely listenable, so many great riffs 🎸🎸🎸🎸
The remastered version sounds so much better than the original CD. I can listen to Justice without any problems and that remaster has more punch than the original. The album is a masterpiece even with the bass parts turned down. I fell in love with it years before people started talking about it.

Prince’s When Doves Cry doesn’t have bass in it which is unusual but it’s still a brilliant song.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

the milkman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:24 pm
action wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:55 pm kill 'em all is infinitely listenable, so many great riffs 🎸🎸🎸🎸
The remastered version sounds so much better than the original CD. I can listen to Justice without any problems and that remaster has more punch than the original as well. The album is a masterpiece even with the bass parts turned down. I fell in love with it years before people started talking about it.

Prince’s When Doves Cry doesn’t have bass in it which is unusual but it’s still a brilliant song.
Yeah, but When Doves Cry was written that way. The reason the Jason Newsted era Metallica is missing bass is because Lars is a dick and didn't want anything hiding his drums.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

WeeMann wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:31 pm
the milkman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:24 pm
The remastered version sounds so much better than the original CD. I can listen to Justice without any problems and that remaster has more punch than the original as well. The album is a masterpiece even with the bass parts turned down. I fell in love with it years before people started talking about it.

Yeah, but When Doves Cry was written that way. The reason the Jason Newsted era Metallica is missing bass is because Lars is a dick and didn't want anything hiding his drums.
He’s definitely a dick, one of the biggest dicks in rock.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

It's a shame, because the bass is really good.

And the drums...aren't.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

WeeMann wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:40 pm It's a shame, because the bass is really good.

And the drums...aren't.
The bass should have been added to the remaster but they would have to admit that they were wrong and they’re not going to do that. The excuse they gave for not adding it to the remaster was lame.

When everyone bitched about the sound of Death Magnetic Lars said there was nothing wrong with it and it sounded great in his car. The mastering engineer didn’t even want his name in the credits.