Metallica Discussion: Metal up your a$$

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Frank

Re: Metallica Discussion: Metal up your a$$

Post by Frank »

the milkman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:13 pm
Frank wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 pm
Generic username wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:52 pm It's interesting - I was never into the more extreme metals, it was always the more commercial stuff for me growing up. Of course the Black album sort of met me half way! I was never a massive fan of the rest of the material, but I have sat through a Metallica concert every Tuesday for the last 5 months and some of it has definitely grown on me.

So, I went back to the studio recordings for stuff live Harvester and Seek & Destroy, and they were laughably thin sounding.

They should re-record them.
Like you, I was never into the more extreme metal bands. Just not my scene and it does nothing for me. I'm not even particularly interested in the other 'big four bands' (Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer).- though I did meet Scott Ian at a Queen + AL concert in Vegas. For me, Metallica felt like the most accessible, thanks in no small part to the Black album.

Regarding those first few records, the only one I agree with you on sounding thin is And Justice For All. That shit is laughable. The band literally turned the bass parts all the way down in the final mix. So all you're getting is a lot of treble and nothing on the bottom. But Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets sound perfect to my ears. They're hard and heavy, and with Cliff Burton supporting the bottom end of their sound they were on fire. I think losing Cliff was detrimental to their mental stability,style, and impacted their sound tremendously. The band treated Jason Newsted horribly, and I would argue they removed his bass parts from AJFA just to break his balls even more. Childish. It's no wonder Jason, who really gave his heart and soul to the band, left them eventually.

It probably sounds like I hate James, Kirk, and Lars. But I don't. I'm a big fan. I realize they were really young when they lost Cliff and were trying to make sense of it all. And ultimately they came out the other side stronger than ever before. And a lot of those tunes from the Load and Reload albums helped make the band sound more eclectic. Not a bad quality and reminds me of Queen's willingness to evolve, even if not all their fans agree.
I don’t hate them but they’re dicks. They were also the wrong band to go after Napster. That made them look like money hungry pricks. Definitely not how they started out.
They're not saints, that's for sure. But Lars is the biggest dick of the lot. However, I can understand why Lars spoke up about Napster. If it happened to them, it would also happen to new artists that struggle to make it in the music business. It's a shame how it all went down, but perhaps his heart was in the right place. Regardless, it was a PR massacre and did the band no favors.

Frank

Post by Frank »

the milkman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:48 pm
WeeMann wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:40 pm It's a shame, because the bass is really good.

And the drums...aren't.
The bass should have been added to the remaster but they would have to admit that they were wrong and they’re not going to do that. The excuse they gave for not adding it to the remaster was lame.

When everyone bitched about the sound of Death Magnetic Lars said there was nothing wrong with it and it sounded great in his car. The mastering engineer didn’t even want his name in the credits.
Lol wow. I had no idea the master engineer didn't want his name in the credits. And I know you had said you can handle the production now that it's been remastered, but I still think it sounds shit (unless they didn't update the version on apple music). Some of the songs are really good though.

I'm baffled at how wrong this band can produce their records....AJFA was just stupid (and even more so that they didn't remaster it properly and give the fans what they wanted), St. Anger, and Death Magnetic. All could have sounded much better. Hopefully they make more records that sound like Hardwired.

Another criticism is they sometimes don't know when enough's enough. They did it with Load/Reload and it's strikingly obvious they could have trimmed some of the fat on Hardwired.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

http://bravewords.com/news/metallica-re ... h-magnetic

I can’t find the one quote that said he didn’t want his name in the credits. I’m pretty sure they put his name in the credits anyway. DICKS! :lol:

Frank

Post by Frank »

the milkman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:52 pm http://bravewords.com/news/metallica-re ... h-magnetic

I can’t find the one quote that said he didn’t want his name in the credits. I’m pretty sure they put his name in the credits anyway. DICKS! :lol:
Thanks for sharing that article. I especially appreciate the comparison video. I don't play Guitar Hero so I wasn't familiar with that version. And holy shit it sounds better. So now I'm convinced the Apple Music version isn't remastered...because as you said, they remastered it on iTunes. Unless I'm just not picking up on it because you think they'd be the same. Maybe I'll give it another spin later today.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

I listened to the Apple Music version again this morning and I swear it sounds better than the CD. I can’t listen to the CD because I get ear fatigue.

The Guitar Hero version sounds much better and people were pissed that the CD didn’t sound like that.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Frank

Post by Frank »

the milkman wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:00 pm I listened to the Apple Music version again this morning and I swear it sounds better than the CD. I can’t listen to the CD because I get ear fatigue.

The Guitar Hero version sounds much better and people were pissed that the CD didn’t sound like that.
Alright, I finally got off my lazy ass and pulled out my original CD copy of Death Magnetic. You are right that the master on iTunes/Apple Music sounds better. The compression isn't as bad. What I noticed most is that they brought up the bass more and everything else is knocked down in the mix. It still felt like an attack on my ears though which is why I probably didn't notice the difference at first. It wasn't clear to me until I did a side-by-side comparison. I then listened to the Guitar Hero 3 version and I really think it's the better of the three options. Everything seems so much more balanced and polished, including the drums. Definitely how it should have been released.

Also, I found this comparison video between the original version, the Guitar Hero 3 version, and the 2011 version (not sure if it's all that different from whatever Apple did in 2015).

Lemmy

Post by Lemmy »

And so what do the Metallica fans here think of Lulu?

Imo, it's a masterpiece and I am very serious about this. It's not a wined up.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Lemmy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:06 pm And so what do the Metallica fans here think of Lulu?

I like Lou Reed too but I can’t listen to Lulu.

Frank

Post by Frank »

the milkman wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:26 pm
Lemmy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:06 pm And so what do the Metallica fans here think of Lulu?

I like Lou Reed too but I can’t listen to Lulu.
I can't stand it. I don't even consider it part of their discography. I like what they were attempting to do though. Instrumentally it's good. But Lou Reed's voice is cringe-worthy. It does nothing for me, other than repulse me. I can't get around it. Which is a shame, because I genuinely wanted to give it a chance. Maybe one day I'll get around to it again.