What are you watching/listening or reading?

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Re: What are you watching/listening or reading?

Post by Innuendoes »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:29 am Cheap Trick doing Bob Dylan in 1977.

I wasn't at this particular performance but I did see Cheap Trick perform this song in Cleveland during the same tour when opening for Be Bop Deluxe. Great night for both bands.

I've never heard this before and I know there are a few Dylan songs I haven't heard. I like what I hear, here, but I would also like to compare it to Dylan's own performances of it and see what I think.

Don't Ya Tell Henry is a song my ex's band used to do with the Tulsa band he was in. The singer did a fairly nice job of it and the band was great and better, IMHO, than any of the ones I posted.

Right now, I am a bit hung up on The Doors and Jim Morrison and songs from the movie. And the movie shows things that just never happened but I enjoy the music in it a lot, especially when Val Kilmer is actually singing the songs. Unbelievable what he did, there!

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

The lyrics to this song are the bomb! My God, how clever and how much I love the whole thing!

Up until the line, "Fragile eggshell mind" and then, it seems to go somewhere else to a different land and I'm not liking that so much.

"Ghost Song"

Awake
Shake dreams from your hair
My pretty child, my sweet one
Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
The day's divinity
First thing you see

A vast radiant beach and cooled jeweled moon
Couples naked race down by its quiet side
And we laugh like soft, mad children
Smug in the woolly cotton brains of infancy
The music and voices are all around us

Choose they croon the ancient ones
The time has come again
Choose now, they croon
Beneath the moon
Beside an ancient lake

Enter again the sweet forest
Enter the hot dream
Come with us
Everything is broken up and dances

Indians scattered
On dawn's highway bleeding
Ghosts crowd the young child's
Fragile eggshell mind

We have assembled inside
This ancient and insane theater
To propagate our lust for life
And flee the swarming wisdom of the streets

The barns have stormed
The windows kept
And only one of all the rest
To dance and save us
From the divine mockery of words
Music inflames temperament

Ooh great creator of being
Grant us one more hour
To perform our art
And perfect our lives

We need great golden copulations

When the true kings murderers
Are allowed to roam free
A thousand magicians arise in the land
Where are the feast we are promised?

One more thing
Thank you oh lord
For the white blind light
Thank you oh lord
For the white blind light

A city rises from the sea
I had a splitting headache
From which the future's made

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

The title song by Weird Milk from their just released five song EP, "We Were Strangers". Some bands make this music thing seem effortless. Well Done!

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:29 am
Innuendoes wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:45 pm I've never heard this before and I know there are a few Dylan songs I haven't heard. I like what I hear, here, but I would also like to compare it to Dylan's own performances of it and see what I think.
Bob Dylan's original version of "Please Mrs. Henry" is from '75's Basement Tapes with The Band and has little in common with Cheap Trick's version.

I think Cheap Trick's version is inspired by the Manfred Mann version that is pretty sweet.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

I like Dylan and The Band, best. Sorry, but I have always been a Bob Dylan fan. 😊

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

A long, long time ago, I read an article in Avant Garde, a magazine that is no longer published, that the style of Dylan's singing came from a coffee house in Greenwich Village where a lot of the folk singers and beatniks hung out, and many of the musicians who performed there, Dylan included, adopted that style. If that is true, and I believe it is, then that's why he sang and still sings like he does, now.

Some have some pretty risque covers.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Innuendoes wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:36 am I like Dylan and The Band, best. Sorry, but I have always been a Bob Dylan fan. 😊
I'm not a Dylan hater but I can say that I never replaced my Dylan vinyl with CDs. The only store bought CD I own by Dylan is with the Rolling Thunder Review and I bought that because Mick Ronson was on it.

The Band, I like them! The Last Waltz is the best rock movie ever made.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:32 am
Innuendoes wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:36 am I like Dylan and The Band, best. Sorry, but I have always been a Bob Dylan fan. 😊
I'm not a Dylan hater but I can say that I never replaced my Dylan vinyl with CDs. The only store bought CD I own by Dylan is with the Rolling Thunder Review and I bought that because Mick Ronson was on it.

The Band, I like them! The Last Waltz is the best rock movie ever made.
I had a lot of them as I started listening to him when Positively 4th Street was on AM radio, every day, every hour. lol. I loved it and all my friends did too so I had to hear more. I don't know how many I had but someone made me sell all my LPs back in 2005 or about then. I do have some on CDs but not all of them. I just rely heavily on youtube. I will bet Spotify has a lot more than youtube.

And you are right about The Last Waltz. Great rock movie!

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

It's pretty easy to take John Cougar Mellencamp for granted because he is steady and unspectacular. Little known fact that Bowie guitarist Mick Ronson was friends with Mellencamp. They met through Tony DeFries of MainMan Management.

John speaking about the song 'Jack and Diane', "Mick was very instrumental in helping me arrange that song, as I'd thrown it on the junk heap. Ronson came down and played on three or four tracks and worked on the American Fool record for four or five weeks. All of a sudden, for 'Jack & Diane,' Mick said, 'Johnny, you should put baby rattles on there.' I thought, 'What the f*ck does put baby rattles on the record mean?' So he put the percussion on there and then he sang the part 'let it rock, let it roll' as a choir-ish-type thing, which had never occurred to me. And that is the part everybody remembers on the song. It was Ronson's idea".

I 'think' Ronson is actually credited with co-writing that song on some of the greatest hits albums but was not credited when originally released.