What are you watching/listening or reading?

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Innuendoes
Location: Ah, another day has gone, another friend has gone into the flame.

Re: What are you watching/listening or reading?

Post by Innuendoes »

Oh but this version is so much better!

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

JLP wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:57 pm
MyHumanZoo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:53 pm I just read the biography of the Beatles done by Hunter Davies, the only authorized biography tracking their early days of stardom. It was quite good. Nice to get a firsthand account of what happened, well, as first hand as you could get without being one of them! Although he admits in the introduction that he had to remove/change quite a bit based on review by the members, and in some cases their families as well.
He did one in McCartney too. And the Stones. Both good reads.
I am on tear now reading Beatles books. I read one back in the late 80s, sure wish I could remember which it was. I recently read the book by John Lennon’s first wife, Cynthia. It was quite good. I am now reading the one by George Harrison’s first wife, Patty. I read the book by Peter Asher, it is really just a lot of trivia on the songs and other artists that covered them too. But I liked it. I will have to find the one on McCartney by Hunter Davies. I have my eye out for “I Me Mine” by George Harrison, hoping to find a cheap (ish) one.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

The nominees for the 2021 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame were announced yesterday. I get a little tired of people saying negative things about the RnR HOF. These are generally the same people that have negative things to say about the baseball, basketball and football HOFs. No HOF is perfect...but all are a fun afternoon for a fan.

There is a fan vote through the RnR HOF website
https://vote.rockhall.com/results/

2021 Nominees (1st time nominee)
Mary J Blige
Kate Bush
Devo
Foo Fighters
The Go-Gos
Iron Maiden
Jay-Z
Chaka Khan
Carole King
Fela Kuti
LL Cool J
New York Dolls
Rage Against The Machine
Todd Rundgren
Tina Turner
Dionne Warwick

The first time nominees, I would say slam dunks would be The Go-Gos and Foo Fighters. I think Iron Maiden is one of the top UK metal bands of all time and I would like to see them in. I don't think Dionne Warwick checks enough boxes and I don't know enough about Mary J Blige, Jay-Z or Fela Kuti to have an informed comment.

As for the repeat nominees, I've been to 20 Todd Rundgren and the New York Dolls concerts combined and would like to see them in but that's just my personal taste. Honestly...Todd is worthy and the Dolls are not.

My oldest son would love to see Rage Against the Machine get in but I don't know the likelihood since they failed to make it last year.

No British glam nominees this year. The two previous classes featured Roxy Music and T Rex...and I was hoping for Mott The Hoople this year.

BTW, Carole King is already in as a songwriter and Tina Turner is in as part of 'Ike & Tina Turner'.

A slim year for classic rock but that happens from time to time.

For those who have never been to the RnR HOF, it's a great afternoon. I will say the Queen display was a tad weak but it's been a few years since I've visited. The displays are often updated with items on loan from various collections.

Any thoughts?

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Tina Turner definitely deserves to win!

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

OK, voted. Tina Turner, Todd Rundgren and Dionne Warwick. I was tempted to vote for LL Cool J because there's a song of his I like but I am not familiar enough with the rest of his material to know if he deserves to be in there or not. Maybe I'll listen to some of it and add him later but I don't really care for rap at all. Just that one song of his. The rest, I don't think I am familiar enough with to vote yes on them. I've heard most of them of course but to vote them up to the top - no and I hate Devo. :lol:

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:05 amI get a little tired of people saying negative things about the RnR HOF.
Why?

It's a piss-take joke of an institution and I don't give a shit if my favourite bands are in it or not.

Mary J Blige? Rock n' Roll? :lol:

Even Tina Turner's pushing it, and I bloody love Tina Turner.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Leigh Burne wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:55 am
Buckeye Randy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:05 amI get a little tired of people saying negative things about the RnR HOF.
Why?

It's a piss-take joke of an institution and I don't give a shit if my favourite bands are in it or not.

Mary J Blige? Rock n' Roll? :lol:

Even Tina Turner's pushing it, and I bloody love Tina Turner.
The fact that Cleveland is the birthplace of the phrase 'rock n roll' makes the name and location a logical choice. However, I think the phrase 'rock and roll' has proven to be a big stumbling block for allot of people. For me, 'rock and roll' has always been an umbrella term and the size of the umbrella varies from person to person. In the current climate of inclusion, it seems wrong not to paint with colors that appeal to as many people as possible.

I like when bands that are part of my musical DNA get inducted but I'm not throwing tantrums when they aren't included. The fact that my taste in music isn't universally agreed upon is more a badge of honor than a slap in the face.

I want to add, just because a person is not inducted doesn't mean that they are represented. There are not allot of punk bands inducted but there is a display that includes memorabilia from many of the bands that played at CBGBs. Heck, they even have the canopy that used to hang in front of CBGBs. There is always something new to see at the RnR HOF because of the things on loan. I remember seeing the ZZ Top Eliminator car on one visit, that's a bad ride!

The top floor always has travelling displays and the ones I've seen have been great. The Doors and Pink Floyd displays in particular were awesome and included early handbills, hand written letters and lyrics plus personal artifacts.

That said, I understand it isn't for everybody but I still think it is a really fun day.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

How about we put Iron Maiden in the Hip Hop Hall of Fame?

Would that make any sense?