What are you watching/listening or reading?

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Buckeye Randy

Re: What are you watching/listening or reading?

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Leigh Burne wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:27 pm How about we put Iron Maiden in the Hip Hop Hall of Fame?

Would that make any sense?
Run To The Hills does have that spoken and semi rappy section, I say let's do it!

Seriously, I would not have hip hop artists in 'my' RNR HOF but it isn't mine.

I get what you're saying and being politically correct doesn't always make sense. Heck, i don't see anything wrong with a sports team being called the 'Indians' so what do i know...but I digress.

I stand by saying a visit is a great time.

Innuendoes
Location: Ah, another day has gone, another friend has gone into the flame.

Post by Innuendoes »

Where to post videos, now? It will mess up the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame induction.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Innuendoes wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:37 pm Where to post videos, now? It will mess up the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame induction.
I was just sharing an article that I was reading about the Hall Of Fame nominees and commenting.

Here is new release by Mod Sun. The vocals remind be of both The Struts and FUN. I like it.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:24 am
Innuendoes wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:37 pm Where to post videos, now? It will mess up the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame induction.
I was just sharing an article that I was reading about the Hall Of Fame nominees and commenting.

Here is new release by Mod Sun. The vocals remind be of both The Struts and FUN. I like it.

I think this topic is good enough to warrant it's own thread. Afterall, this is not only music for everyone but also it's a yearly occurrence, isn't it? I think it's great and I'm glad you posted about it.

I quickly checked to make sure Leon Russell was already in there as he more than deserves to be and he is. Inducted in 2011, I believe.

If I'm not mistaken this is the same Hall Of Fame that fans of Arlo Guthrie have been trying to have in here for a vote as well. If nothing else, he deserves something as he is an icon and a true musician and entertainer. So far, as far as I know, no one has convinced anyone to add him. If Carole King is in here, then Arlo definitely deserves to be in here as well.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Innuendoes wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:00 am If I'm not mistaken this is the same Hall Of Fame that fans of Arlo Guthrie have been trying to have in here for a vote as well. If nothing else, he deserves something as he is an icon and a true musician and entertainer. So far, as far as I know, no one has convinced anyone to add him. If Carole King is in here, then Arlo definitely deserves to be in here as well.
I think Carole is in as a songwriter, not an artist. That fact needs checked!

I like Arlo, he has a handful of classics including the greatest song ever about Thanksgiving. He was an important figure during the '60's folk/protest scene. I wouldn't put his resume up against Carole King who had 12 top 40 singles in the U.S. plus the album "Tapestry" that was an award winning and sales monster.

I'm not saying Arlo shouldn't be in, I'm just saying comparing artists is a slippery slope when it comes to being inducted. Patti Smith and Lou Reed didn't sell shit for records compared with many artists but they are in because they are considered influential. In that regard, Arlo would have a chance.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:36 am
Innuendoes wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:00 am If I'm not mistaken this is the same Hall Of Fame that fans of Arlo Guthrie have been trying to have in here for a vote as well. If nothing else, he deserves something as he is an icon and a true musician and entertainer. So far, as far as I know, no one has convinced anyone to add him. If Carole King is in here, then Arlo definitely deserves to be in here as well.
I think Carole is in as a songwriter, not an artist. That fact needs checked!

I like Arlo, he has a handful of classics including the greatest song ever about Thanksgiving. He was an important figure during the '60's folk/protest scene. I wouldn't put his resume up against Carole King who had 12 top 40 singles in the U.S. plus the album "Tapestry" that was an award winning and sales monster.

I'm not saying Arlo shouldn't be in, I'm just saying comparing artists is a slippery slope when it comes to being inducted. Patti Smith and Lou Reed didn't sell shit for records compared with many artists but they are in because they are considered influential. In that regard, Arlo would have a chance.
I've seen Carole perform in person so I think that qualifies as an artist.

BTW, it sounds like you will be attending, this year, again. I also noticed that Robert Randolph will be performing in some form. I'm not sure if he's still got the group, Robert Randolph and The Family Band but they were dynamite! See them if you can or him alone. Whichever, he's one hella guitar player, especially on slide.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Ah ha!
Robert Randolph of The Family Band
Ticket
Time
07:00 PM - 08:00 PM

Rockhall Locations
Nearby Parking Lots
A Virtual Premier Event
Tune in for a virtual premier of the Rock Hall’s conversation and performance with Robert Randolph of The Family Band. Randolph discusses his Gospel roots and more with Jason Hanley, Rock Hall’s Vice President of Education and Visitor Experience, and performs a few songs from the Rock Hall’s Klipsch Audio Stage on his pedal steel guitar.

No charge, it's FREE!

https://www.rockhall.com/events/bhm-202 ... t-randolph

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

I double checked on Carole King's status in the HOF. Gerry Goffin and Carole King were inducted in 1990 as songwriters, this is separate from being inducted as a performer.

It's a moving target because there are a few different categories in which to be inducted and there has been rewording of the various categories over the years. I think the original intentions were pure but the whole thing veered out of control by bureaucracy, hypocrisy and down right ridiculousness.

Is top 40 music rock and roll? Sometimes. Do record sales measure the impact of an artist? Not always. Are blues, country, jazz, swing, folk or tin pan alley forms of rock and roll or just influences? Can I have another beer please, this makes my head hurt. For the love of God...is grunge or rap really music at all??? Make that two beers.

This is not something to take too seriously. Visiting the HOF is a fun afternoon in Cleveland, nothing more!

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

I have always considered Carole King as a folk artist and definitely not a rocker so I don't get their reasoning for entering her for this, nor many others they've got in there for various reasons. It doesn't make sense to me.

Arlo was nominated for this "Nominate Arlo Guthrie for Kennedy Center Honors Movement"

and also the "Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame" so IDK. Seems like they are putting every type of genre in there, nowadays. But Arlo deserves it!!